Baylis
Baylis New Reader
2/3/13 5:02 p.m.

A while ago (and I mean around the time I was born) my dad picked up this 1956 Studebaker pick-up. The body is ok, for being a Studebaker. Anyone who knows the brand, knows they parts aren't easy to find. We actually collect the parts now; 3 hoods, bunch of front fenders, 2 beds and so on. Fast forwarding to today, here are the things we have done so far:

• Full tube chassis
  • Mustang control arms
  • Home-made (we have a machine shop in out garage) 4-link
  • Ford 9in, shortened
  • 33 by 21.5 wheels in the rear
  • A1000 fuel tank w/ internal pump (and controller)
  • MSD 6AL
  • hilborn mech injection ITBs (We're converting to efi, hence the MSD)
  • Some huge race radiator, I forget the brand and I'm too lazy to look right now
  • T56
  • late 60's/early 70's 454. Crate motor for Chevelle SS
  • Some sort of oil cooler. It's the one mounted in the bed.

That's all the comes to mind right now. At this point in the game, I'm finally getting the ball back rolling with this car. We've been working with my car (The 302 MX5) but since it's at a point where I work best alone (electrical) it's time to get him back on his own toy.

For now, the motor is a little low. We need to lift the motor up at least an inch, which means we will need to modify some of the brackets. No big deal, just kind of annoying. Oh well... Once we do that, we will get a steering column, make the headers, and work on getting the ITB setup modified and installed. We will also need to pick up a mega-squirt, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

That's all for now, I'll post again when we make some more progress!

4Msfam
4Msfam New Reader
2/3/13 11:26 p.m.

Nice! I have a '55 Dodge C3 pickup that I'm slowly working on... what engine are you guys running? Care to show more pics of the front clip / frame? I'm thinking of adding a Jag crossmember eventually to get IFS. I'd love to see what you did yourself. Love those Studebakers!

Volvo122
Volvo122 New Reader
2/18/13 7:10 p.m.

A friend swapped in an S-10 frame into his Studebaker truck.

Baylis
Baylis New Reader
2/18/13 7:33 p.m.

I'll get some more pictures when I have the time. We've been working on the miata project some and picked up a E30 for the L67... yea, lol... but we actually have a Xj12 rear end around here just hanging out if you're looking for one. It has inbore brakes and posi. It's actually pretty nice, just needs a little bit of love.

As for the frame, I believe ( I was like 5 when it was made ) the tube frame is custom. We've since added and taken away from it. We made our own 4-link (benefits of having a lathe), trans cross-member, fuel tank hammock, and so on. Now that I think about it, I really need to document the stuff we did, lol.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1jur5r5yGYpRUeaNx4Yxq21KhjdfxWkmYZ7dextfF0fgqjzfsie5hRoZubrQk7w7