Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
7/13/21 10:15 p.m.

Also found a really good dimensions site from OMEX:

http://omextechnology.co.uk/Omex%20Duratec%20VVC%20MZR%20Engine%20v1_0.pdf

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
7/15/21 7:06 p.m.

Ok header question re: equal length. How "equal" do they need to be? I'm mostly worrying about paired cylinders, but here are the measurements as of now. I'm really ready to finish weld these suckers and just did a "final" measurement. I used the outermost radius of all the curves.

1. 26

2. 25 1/2 

3. 26 1/4 

4. 26 1/4 

I have the room to mess with them, but if "within an inch" is considered good enough, I'll just move forward with finish welding them.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/3/21 6:25 p.m.

Got them all 26" give or take 1/4 as far as I can tell. Just finished tig'ing the primaries. Thought I'd put a little polish on the before welding to the flange. I can see this being a major rabbit hole. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/4/21 7:17 a.m.

Looking real good. What are you using to polish with?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/7/21 3:01 p.m.

I'm using a sisal buff wheel and emory then stainless polish compound. I got bored and could see how one could spend days doing it. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/19/21 7:20 p.m.

Ok, some more minor progress. Got the secondaries in, and exhaust back to the rear axle. Worked on the steering, and have that roughed in. Pedals are in progress. Have to fab up my own gas pedal in a tiny space, so--- Fun!!

Gammaboy
Gammaboy New Reader
8/20/21 6:09 a.m.

What are those seats?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/20/21 10:21 a.m.

https://wrightsvintagehotrod.com/products 

A little thin- I'm going to have to support them well on the base, but I do like them so far.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/23/21 5:03 p.m.

WARNING: NSFW Engine portn to follow.

I placed the order in January from Raceline in the UK. The parts just arrived today. Jenvey 10 degree (for mazda) 48mm throttle bodies. 90mm stacks. Low profile valve cover, which, unfortunately doesn't have provision for a dipstick, but tucks all else flush with the top, saving some vertical space.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/23/21 5:06 p.m.

Part of me wants to polish the valve cover, but I don't know how much better it will look than wrinkle black painted.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/21 6:29 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

That. Rocks.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
8/23/21 7:41 p.m.

So Rad! amazing work

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/23/21 10:02 p.m.

Dudes, I've been just sitting in my garage looking at them. It's so narcissistic but finally being able to afford good E36 M3 is so berkeleying awesome.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/25/21 7:41 p.m.

Ok, another small victory. Pedal box constructed, with a few little tweaks for final mounting. It is stiff as hell, which is what I was going for. I didn't manage to make the bias adjuster accessible for a cockpit cable mount, but I'll ponder on that a bit.

More Tools Than Sense
More Tools Than Sense Reader
8/26/21 2:00 p.m.

This build is flippin rad. Keep doing the lord's work.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/26/21 2:21 p.m.

That engine is looking good with the header and ITBs!

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/26/21 11:23 p.m.
More Tools Than Sense said:

This build is flippin rad. Keep doing the lord's work.

It shall be done. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/3/21 6:45 p.m.

Working on the transmission tunnel. I'm trying to redo this as a structural member, as I'll be quadrupling the power the old duder makes. It's not going to be crazy, but I've made a little progress. Thinking I'll weld the tunnel sides, and make the top a screw-on affair. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/12/21 6:01 p.m.

Got the tunnel sides and passenger footwell in. I'm surprisingly enjoying this sort of bodywork. I was a little overzealous with pounding the passenger side tunnel, so got a little ding-dent, but I'm not upset about it. I'll be making a thermal blanket style cover for the thing to protect from the exhaust heat, so it'll never be seen. I will know it is there, always. Haha. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/24/21 7:31 p.m.

I'm starting to work on plumbing. Waiting on the gas tank after Fedex said it would be delivered tuesday. Failed again today. Boo. Want to get that in before I do the final tailpipe. I'm going to use a vibrant 1 in, 2 out muffler and hope that I don't need a resonator. I've got an ebay cat (look- I know. I doubt it has any "catalytic" properties, but at worst case it's a resonator right after the header), and then straight 2.5" to the muffler.

Transverse Oval Universal Muffler, 2.50

Then I'll run tips to the sides. The "in" is in the middle and the "outs" are on the ends. Should be pretty straightforward. Backordered until november, but I think I've got time. 

Got the exhaust welded and mounted to the axle. Working on the catch can/pcv system, coolant, oil, fuel, and brakes. And seat mounts. I've got lots of parts and working a little at a time.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/25/21 1:07 a.m.

I'm curious how that muffler sounds, I've been looking at the same one for my project.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/29/21 6:38 p.m.

I'll let you know. Getting things plumbed is a pretty big pain in the ass. 

Also, I bought a fuel cell. I couldn't find a tank that would match what I needed, and mentioned this Fuel Safe off the shelf model to the wife, which started a conversation about the difference between a tank and a cell. She said "get a berkeleying cell. This car is going to be dangerous as hell and you might as well not die by fire". So... I bought a 10 gallon fuel safe and they had a good sale, so I guess whatever. Funny thing the more observant might notice- there are a ton of grade 8 bolts on this thing. Not sure of the reasoning there, but whatever. I don't know how to mount it really- looks like most racers make a full on cage for the thing, but I can't imagine that's really necessary. I'll likely hang it from the top flange. 

Fuel lines, brake lines, pcv, oil, .... all before I start putting the stuff in to make it run. Oh- funny note- this off brand ebay set of "silicone" coolant hoses is glow in the dark. So stupid, but funny.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/29/21 8:12 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

She said "get a berkeleying cell. This car is going to be dangerous as hell and you might as well not die by fire".

That's sweet - she really must love you! 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/29/21 8:16 p.m.

haha. Maybe. Maybe.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
10/27/21 2:59 p.m.

Making incremental progress, even though it doesn't look that way. Volunteered at the local HS auto shop a couple weekends ago and they were throwing out (like in the truck to go to the dump) a set of very heavy duty snap on branded casters, for a large tool chest I presume. I snagged those and a copule sticks of 2x2 tubing and made "cart rotisserie".

When it's flat on the ground, it will roll around, but I can put it up on either side and it's pretty stable. 

Other than that, this is making it easier to fill holes on the floor pan, which looks pretty good, actually.  I'm looking at "Lizard skin" spray on undercoating for sound control and heat control in the tunnel. Already have some DEI adhesive stuff I'll put on the outside of that, and hope that it's not awful.  Closer to paint, which scares me. 

Muffler is still on backorder. Bummer, but Vibrant seem to be the only player in the "center in, 2x side exit" muffler game, and that size they have is going to be pretty critical (precluding oem solutions).  Backorder from Jegs indefinitely.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GSKf8ZCf7oTxsYzos5kmrTdpGILaNCP1skFoBzOAeGAkkZp97e8Biefxh4LJiv0g