1 2 3 ... 9
RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/29/20 8:52 p.m.

Just bought what HAS to be my final purchased car.

1971 Lotus Europa with an 11-1, 8K+ RPM, 1.6 Gordini Cross-flow head conversion, and twin Weber's engine.

Body is only slightly modified for stability at high speed.

I'v e been trying to get a Europa since the JPS's and first Fiat X19's came out in 1972!

Actually had one, briefly, a few years ago but had to sell before I ever got to drive it. Similar to this one but with Cosmic's. Got something like $1,500 for it including the uninstalled five speed and genuine Ray-Dot mirrors. angry

Now that I'm "Retired" so have a certain basic income the plan is to complete all projects and not sell any that are "Mine" until I die. Some projects are in fact intended for sale, but NOT this Lotus!

Seems it's already been repainted several times. This time it's going to be the Silver/Blue metallic that Jag XKE's used. I have a set of recently acquired Cosmic rims that may replace what is currently on it.

I will be going to Helena MT to get it as soon as I get my truck back together. If anyone needs parts or a small car transported from the Reno/No. Nevada area to some place along the way let me know.

I'm already scrounging up parts for it, going to get the Lotus valve cover as soon as I scare up some more cash.

Pics from the fee-Bay listing, resized.

Woody (...State Your Name...)
Woody (...State Your Name...) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/20 8:56 p.m.

Nifty.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/20 8:57 p.m.

What's the price?

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/29/20 9:03 p.m.

Paid $5,500.00 and still have to go get it.

With the NV4500 OD trans and fresh 350 engine driving my own truck should be about half as expensive as having it shipped.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/30/20 2:31 a.m.

Oh what a dangerous place the 'web is!

Finding all sorts of expensive goodies to fit the Europa. MUST RESIST mission creep.

I'm supposed to keep this a simple refurbish and paint, not add a vented bonnet, electric water pump, ram-air snorkle..................

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/30/20 4:03 a.m.

Wonderfully nice toy. Have fun!

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
9/30/20 8:00 a.m.

What's behind the rear shock?  My car didn't have that and I don't see a swaybar in the ebay pics.

Your car is much cleaner than mine, great find.

And my mess:

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/20 9:18 a.m.

What is up with all the Europas? Great find and fun project, will be watching!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/30/20 9:58 a.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter) said:

What is up with all the Europas? Great find and fun project, will be watching!

They've exceeded the $25K barrier when restored?

TC's are the big buck cars but also the big bucks to restore as TC engines are scary expensive to rebuild now. A well sorted Gordini cross-flow car is just as quick, and lighter. 

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/30/20 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

I frankly have no idea. I get a manual when I pick up the car so should be able to figure it out then. The car has some competition history for Auto-X and Hill-Climb, thus the radical engine.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/20 10:49 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

Paid $5,500.00 and still have to go get it.

With the NV4500 OD trans and fresh 350 engine driving my own truck should be about half as expensive as having it shipped.

I'm sorry as my question must be seen as rude.  For some reason I thought it was in the for sale section.  Beautiful Europa.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/20 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

Travel limiting strap.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
9/30/20 1:49 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Brotus7 :

Travel limiting strap.

Ahhhh, I see it now! Makes sense.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
9/30/20 2:04 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Brotus7 :

Travel limiting strap.

I saw that, but I have no idea why? Is it because of the limited angular travel of the half-shaft/upper-link?

To the OP, gorgeous car! Wish I could fit in a Europa

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
9/30/20 2:29 p.m.

I alreday looks really cool!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/30/20 3:05 p.m.

RE: Limiting strap. Yes, makes a lot of sense. U-Joints instead of CV's so would not want an axle to droop too far.

Learning a bit about these. Fiero five-speed can be fit but requires frame mods. Gear ratio's match but internals are different. Some internal parts do interchange.

Gordini cross-flow heads are no longer easy to source, and expensive. So I scored on those. Actually, without the Gordini and Webers I would not have paid the price for such a project.

Good thing I am in rural Nevada as this car would not do well in heavy traffic with it's pretty much race spec engine.

I will fit the rear disc brake conversion that comes with it.

Really hoping the machine shop is done with my SBC 350 block today so I may assemble my truck ASAP.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/30/20 3:36 p.m.

This is a beautiful car that will be a screamer when finished.  Good luck with it, and post lots of updates.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/1/20 10:00 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

A travel limit strap is also helpful to not stress the the damper top-out bumpers.  Plus, if the car has shorter springs, a strap helps to prevent the spring from unseating when unweighted.

I hear you on really wanting one of these.  I want one, but not in place of any of my current cars and I am pretty much all out of room. 

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
10/1/20 11:40 a.m.

So today I got a lot of additional pics of the Europa I "Should have" bought. But it was just a little more $$ than I could scrape up. Also found it on-line and thought it must be an old ad due to the low price. Seller says still available! I have contact info and the car is in Florida. So maybe this is the answer for the guys who wish they had gotten mine?

Price is just under $9K so if the car can be confirmed as a real deal, AKA somebody please take a look, I have contact name and email.

I will clearly have much more into my build than this car is being sold for. This one does not have the trick engine mine does but, just look at it! If it is real I envy the person that gets it, turn the key and go.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
10/1/20 12:25 p.m.

That is a rather desirable one, and cheap for what it is (Series 1 or 1A Europa). Though I wonder if the chassis has ever been cut out and repaired.   

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
10/1/20 1:21 p.m.

The S1 dash looks so much nicer than the S2! 

We need more GRM Europas.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/20 2:59 p.m.

Anyone want to buy a Miata & DSM?!??!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/1/20 6:53 p.m.

That is a sweet looking lotus. Although way out of my price range,  that would definitely make some one a nice toy. One of the folks that wished they had gotton yours should snap that up.

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/2/20 12:37 a.m.

What's the fun in doing that? I get the cheaper than what you would spend part. I just think doing it is part of the process of really owning it. Just my thought so take it for the $.02 it's worth. 

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
10/2/20 2:00 a.m.

Oh oh, now I've found a source for clear headlamp covers! devil

1 2 3 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l98LZbW8dJPRewbpXFMjsFrfaVQhJyZBzhXPrsHJlXIC1saHpNDopOOjWHOlk0Bj