1 2
iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/22 3:42 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Did you design those or were did you get them from?  I have considered building another frame around C5/6 parts rather than the C4 stuff on my Ram50 currently.

In for this...

Spoonfed
Spoonfed New Reader
11/25/23 10:00 a.m.

In reply to iansane :

Wow, I can't believe it's been over a year since my last post. I had a shop local to me that's much better with computers design this. I dropped off my subframe and told them what size frame rails I planned to used and all of the factory angles from my 2001 c5 to work with. They had it laser cut and cnc bent. To the best of my knowledge they still have that file on hand if I decide to do more in the future. For reference when I had them made it cost me $377 for just one set.

Spoonfed
Spoonfed New Reader
11/25/23 10:50 a.m.

Well this thread is long overdue for an update. I haven't done terribly much on my car in the past year but I also do custom fabrication on older cars for a living so it's been fun trying to ride that line of being creative at work and not being burnt out mentally by the time I get home so I have motivation to work on it. I have pictures of some of the cooler vehicles I've done/doing as my peace offering. Here's a '66 F100 that got converted to an extended cab. It took 3 cabs and 8 doors to make a reality and on top of that it's sitting on a 2103 F-150 chassis floor and firewall. It's rocking the 5.0 and the coolest part is the client is building it for his son who is in a wheelchair. He has a 2013 F-150 as his daily that has all of his adaptive equipment so it made the most sense to put this body on another 2013 F-150 for aftermarket support.

Lots of time went into this particular project and I can elaborate further if anyone is curious.

The other vehicle I've been working on full time is '70 Chevelle SS with the infamous NRE 632 twin turbo big block. This one has been a serious labor of love and challenging but that's what makes it fun. 

The client owns both of these chevelles. The green one is on a Speedtech chassis and has Wegner 427 blown lsx that makes 1000hp. The other one claims some 2300hp by NRE.

And here's my current project on it. Forged carbon interior and 2k twill exterior carbon inlet ducts for the turbos.

It was pretty tricky doing this with resin infusion.

Spoonfed
Spoonfed New Reader
11/25/23 11:01 a.m.

Now back to the Nova and here's how it sits currently.

First time outside in over a year.

Currently I'm just roughing in my drivers side and debating how I want to blend my rear quarters. I'd really like to do a flying buttress but I dread having to body work it since this is a fairly subtle flair in the back. Other plans include a forward tilting hood with induction built into for the ITB's and potentially doing a full carbon front end. Not a one piece front end I should clarify. I want integrate as much carbon as I can while not going overboard. This car has been bouncing around between end goals which is why I've been dragging my feet on it. Building show cars all day really influences my input on the end product while I plan to Autocross it in Cam-T and want to just get it going so I can race it next year. Me constantly changing my mind and trying avoid any rework while still trying to make forward progress is my own worst enemy. Ideally by the end of winter I'd like to finish the metal work on the exterior and interior of the car.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/23 11:14 a.m.

Yeah, I'd love to know more about the accessibility equipment you're building into the truck. That's so cool!

11/25/23 11:16 a.m.

And the Nova is super rad. I can't believe I didn't comment on it previously, as it's exactly my style.

Spoonfed
Spoonfed New Reader
11/25/23 12:02 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

We aren't building the equipment. We used the 2013 platform because of the aftermarket bolt in support that's already available. I think my brain would implode trying to make a working set up from scratch to a show vehicle standard on all the gaps haha I also appreciate the kind words. I really enjoy the reactions I get when I share the project with people.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/25/23 10:01 p.m.

The fabrication  that you have going on is phenomenal.....thank you for blessing us with your presence 

Spoonfed
Spoonfed New Reader
11/25/23 10:53 p.m.
759NRNG said:

The fabrication  that you have going on is phenomenal.....thank you for blessing us with your presence 

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I'm just a regular guy who's ruined plenty and I mean plenty of metal since I started fabrication. As long as I'm always striving to do my best and learning then I'm going in the right direction.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
11/26/23 8:05 a.m.

Awesome work!

11/26/23 2:14 p.m.
Spoonfed said:

We aren't building the equipment. We used the 2013 platform because of the aftermarket bolt in support that's already available.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I should have said "installing" rather than "building in." Any info on the accessibility parts you're installing?

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/26/23 2:33 p.m.

The more I look at the PU, would it be possible for a "build thread" of it's own ? Sorry for the hijack don't get me wrong the Nova iz the BOSSA!

Spoonfed
Spoonfed New Reader
11/26/23 7:05 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Spoonfed said:

We aren't building the equipment. We used the 2013 platform because of the aftermarket bolt in support that's already available.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I should have said "installing" rather than "building in." Any info on the accessibility parts you're installing?

I don't have any info on them unfortunately. Honestly I didn't even know if we would finish the metal work on the truck since the clients son got into an accident last winter and suffered severe enough nerve damage that they were speculating he wouldn't be driving again. 

Spoonfed
Spoonfed New Reader
11/26/23 7:10 p.m.
759NRNG said:

The more I look at the PU, would it be possible for a "build thread" of it's own ? Sorry for the hijack don't get me wrong the Nova iz the BOSSA!

I'll have to go back and see how many pictures I have of the truck. I like picture heavy threads and for a truck like that I feel it would be a pretty heavy tease to have just a few pictures of it. It has been at the body shop since March. Any particular parts of the build your interested in? There's plenty of little details I could elaborate on. Funny enough I even got a tattoo just from the shape of some of the metal I cut off of it. My little memento for such a unique project.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/26/23 8:41 p.m.

Just commenting for following purposes 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/26/23 11:50 p.m.

To be honest even the least amount of pics you have on this is would be much appreciated  for the cab build alone.....to witness your fabrication expertise

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/27/23 12:10 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Seconded. Its pure fab pron.

Manual_Trans
Manual_Trans New Reader
11/27/23 12:30 p.m.

Those fenders. Oof. I've never lusted after a Nova in my life, but this thing will be a sexy beast. Excellent work. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
11/27/23 12:43 p.m.

Ok, so on top of a killer build of my first car, I have a friend who has been paralyzed since a teenager.  I have swapped many a hand control.  I once witnessed a truck cap tilt, arm came out with a chair in it, stopped at the drivers door to pickup the driver, pretty cool.

Thank you for taking the time to make the doors look just right on the truck, it hurts my eyes when they don't.  Picture a six door Tahoe that started out as a short wheel base so the second door is angled and the third is square from a long wheel base model, why not take the time to switch them.

Following. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mdq9BAVZA4QFMHoYuKrEVdafdu7pfkvTJbGYWIIE2KJHbayEnuOV8TskiginWXak