1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/13/20 10:16 p.m.

I have its younger, bigger brother:

Still planning on putting an '80-86 front end on it, and making my own bumper.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
3/14/20 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Azryael :

That's one clean OBS. (Old Body Style)   I do like the nostalgia look of the 80 - 86, but thats nice enough as is to just roil with.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/14/20 2:19 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I appreciate it, but the aeronose was never my style. As cool as the ranch hand bumper is, too, it actually blocks a lot of the light from the headlights. I could aim them up, but then I'll blind traffic. Even the bricknose style of the OPs truck would be more welcome. Get the Aussie headlight buckets and you can throw in some JW speaker LED headlights.

I wanted the 7.3 PSD over the 6.9 or the 7.3 IDI (I have one of those too), since swapping a 7.3 PSD into the older truck is more work than swapping the front clip. I do love this truck, and wouldn't part with it for anything. You'd never know it has almost 350K on the clock. No excessive blowby, E4OD swapped out for a ZF5 with a 1356 T-case. All I need is a D60 and I can complete the 4WD swap. I hate these wheels too...

I opted for a 2WD truck because I knew it may have a lot of highway driving, but very little off road use. 4WD trucks around here are beat up, or sell for $20k as they're presented as being near mint.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
4/16/20 5:20 p.m.

progress maybe, I should have looked closer because this is a weird fixed yoke c4 that will not work in my car but I now own a 302 and traded the 9 inch for a bunch more parts for the foxbody swap. 

with the i6 finally showing signs of abuse I jumped on a deal for a running 302/c4 combo. It's just not the correct c4 so now it's sitting in my garage while I figure out what it's going too cost to make the transmission work for my car.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
4/16/20 6:20 p.m.

Have you already got a V8/4Cyl crossmember for your swap?  I have an extra, I think, if we can arrange a GRM transport chain.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
4/16/20 8:01 p.m.
ClemSparks said:

Have you already got a V8/4Cyl crossmember for your swap?  I have an extra, I think, if we can arrange a GRM transport chain.

Yeah I have the k member and entire front suspension that way I can get rid of the one year only brakes while I'm at it. I've owned a lot of the swap parts for a while. I just keep dragging my feet because a good c4 is hard to find and I'm too cheap to buy new 

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
4/16/20 8:26 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

The axles on an Accord may be different between automatic & manual. Ran into that back in the day when parts gave me the wrong one.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
4/16/20 9:14 p.m.
dropstep said:
ClemSparks said:

Yeah I have the k member and entire front suspension that way I can get rid of the one year only brakes while I'm at it. I've owned a lot of the swap parts for a while. I just keep dragging my feet because a good c4 is hard to find and I'm too cheap to buy new 

Ah...good stuff.  I don't know from C4s so I'm no help.  But good that you have the needed parts otherwise.  I'm starting to assemble the 5.0 for my wagon, so it's fun to see what's happening with yours!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
4/17/20 10:21 a.m.

After some research it turns out I can run the bellhousing and torque converter off the small block c4 on my i6 c4. It won't handle much abuse but should be enough for me to get it rolling while having this one rebuilt with a slip yoke.  More progress, headers and oil pan should be dropped off Monday. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
5/2/20 12:22 p.m.

If my spine plays along this might actually get done. Getting your used parts from the local machinist means they come hot tanked and sandblasted. The first oil pan ended up having a pinhole so it took a few extra days. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
5/10/20 10:52 p.m.

Well no turning back now, my car no longer fits in my garage. Pulled a valve cover and it's typical used motor. Nothing to gunky or scary. Ordering a bunch of stuff tomorrow. Trying to find a set of accessory brackets has been crazy, a lot of flakes on marketplace 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
5/12/20 9:57 p.m.

removing 50 year old gasket sucked, but forward progress. New oil pump and pick up, pan slapped on. Motor is a little bit sludgier then I prefer but it's what I have.

tomorrow if another seller doesn't flake I'll have my power steering bracket finally. I've developed a weird hatred for Facebook marketplace! 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
5/14/20 4:58 p.m.

Brown Santa showed up with what I thought was the last bit of parts I needed. Turns out the valve covers were wrong so sometime in 6-9 days I should have the correct set 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
5/29/20 9:31 p.m.

Wanted a before shot, the last time the i6 will be in it. Started pulling it at a friends house tonight. The screwed up spine has slowed me way down but the goal is make it too a cruise on the 6th. The last cruise was over 500 cars and my little 6er was drowned out by all the v8 exhausts.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
5/29/20 9:36 p.m.

Keep the good pictures coming!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
5/30/20 10:45 p.m.

Well it's out, ran into an issue with the c4 bellhousing I had being the wrong bolt pattern transmission side. So lost an hour and had to buy another c4 core just to get a bellhousing. Hopefully in the 2 hours I have before work tomorrow the 302 gets sat in and bolted too the transmission. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/31/20 3:05 p.m.

Nice work.  You've been putting it all together for quite a while and I like to see these long term builds come together on here.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/1/20 2:16 p.m.

Well it fits, sadly along with the wrong bellhousing I had the wrong converter and flexplate so ordered new ones that should be here wed. The receipts are piling up and I've yet to hear the engine run. Probably going to miss the June 6th cruise deadline we had set. 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
6/1/20 4:33 p.m.

At least it’s lookin’ good sitting in there!!!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/2/20 6:34 p.m.

After the last 4 days of trying to use a truck large bell c4, a core small bell c4 and my stock i6 c4 to make one useable transmission I finally caught a break. This complete smallblock, small bell passenger car c4 came up for sale 40 miles away at a reasonable price, so I went and grabbed it. Fluid looks good, the older gentleman who owned it said it functions fine. It's just money right? Came with a fairly new torque converter and front seal. Was in a 36 Ford but the owner decided he wanted more power so ordered a 347 and a trans built too handle it.

PartsAndProjects
PartsAndProjects New Reader
6/2/20 7:23 p.m.

Love it, awesome project. I built this a few years ago...wish I never sold it.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/3/20 9:10 p.m.

Don't mind the fact my buddy looks like a crackhead he knows the inside of a c4. The "new" c4 is actually a pretty fresh rebuild with quality parts according to him, the reason we had to take it apart is the guy who put it in the 36 cut the ear for the column shift off the shift selector. SmAll update but an update anyway! Trans is bolted too the motor and I'm going to hopefully bolt it in for the last time tomorrow 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/12/20 9:49 p.m.

Summit got me this overnight on normal shipping last Friday night. So trans could finally be bolted on without issue. 

I suck at remembering pictures but his was after final bolting and the new double hump crossmember went in.

Then tonight the exhaust started going on, want to get it past the trans before firing it up so I can hear the motor. Slow progress but I should either fire it up tomorrow or Sunday 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/13/20 10:04 p.m.

It runs, it carries 80psi of oil pressure at idle but it's not real happy. Lots of lifter noise so I'm debating a cam and lifter set or just running some cleaner through it and seeing what happens. Either way I'm going to finish assembling it and drive it atleast once. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/14/20 9:04 p.m.

my buddy Kevin is building tailpipes later this week. Tomorrow I get to call and see if any of the accessory bracket kits work with a standard rotation water pump because the miss matched stuff just seems like more hassle then it's worth. 

the car is running well, it seems like the used transmission has all 3 gears. Have to fix part of the shifter, it hits the header flange before going into 2-1 but it shifts fine in drive 

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b95pTe4lWNtw9Hywr75HC53lV9kyvN2gjrBuCJjjjcCMhUjxJrA8IWjBjj6Qrakq