1 2 3 4 5
stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
1/28/17 7:13 p.m.

Well the mods to stock rear are for not not just found a 8.8 ford explorer axel 3.55 and traction lock. I won't have to worry about the rear breaking now. As I build mounts I will take pictures.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
1/29/17 7:25 a.m.

Sounds cool. How does the width of that 8.8 compare to stock G-body width rearends?

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
5/28/17 9:35 a.m.

Finally put the malibu in the shop. To put patch panels in floor, should you replace the body mounts first to hole everything in place ? Or just doing small sections at a time fine.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/28/17 9:37 a.m.

On my 64 el Camino i just did it. Half a floor and the body mounts at a time.

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
5/29/17 10:53 a.m.

Any thought on using panel bond to glue in patches.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/29/17 11:55 a.m.

My buddy the show car body guy swears by it. I have never personally tried it.

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
6/10/17 8:21 p.m.

Pulled a head off today. Greeted with old trw 1801 forged pistons. And no rust in cylinders. A metal shim gasket was the head gasket. The serpintine setup from 08 chevy truck clears steering box.

Will do another floor patch tomorrow.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/17 9:23 p.m.

I'm sending your rear axle mounts within couple days. Got destroyed by sick family this week. They're still sick

I'll make sure not to let the kids cough in the box

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/10/17 10:16 p.m.
stan_d wrote: Any thought on using panel bond to glue in patches.

I've done it for certain areas and types of patches. Also combined welding with panel bond for certain panels. Structural adhesive also a good choice. When using panel bond adhesives keep in mind you want to "pinch" the pieces together so you have the thinnest layer of adhesive possible. It has particles in it that prevent you from pinching it too tightly.

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
9/16/19 6:34 a.m.

I can't believe it's been so long . Just finished welding floor patches this weekend. 

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
9/16/19 11:22 a.m.

You got it done! That's the main thing. Did you use 3m or another brand...?

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
9/17/19 7:08 a.m.

Cool project! I love those G body cars. Keep at it!

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
9/17/19 7:04 p.m.

Just welded in patches. Worked on interior . little cardboard and duct tape repair of corners.

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
9/30/19 9:31 p.m.

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
9/30/19 9:31 p.m.

Getting closer 

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
10/10/19 9:19 a.m.

pretty engine and you can't see it. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/10/19 3:12 p.m.

You're going to need a hood scoop for your A/C compressor, I'm afraid.

Looking good!  Keep it up.  I'm sure excited to see the updates.  My own G-body projects need attention I haven't been able to give them lately.

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
10/11/19 4:42 p.m.

I have a cowl induction hood that clears .

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/12/19 7:26 a.m.

Nice!  You DO have a hood scoop for your a/c compressor. I mocked up a similar setup on my RegalWagon.  I would have liked to use that A/C compressor.  Instead, I ended up using a serpentine setup with an R4 compressor from an F-body for hood clearance reasons.

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
10/15/19 6:41 p.m.

It runs. only a few days before leaving.

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
10/19/19 11:38 a.m.

It runs but oil pours out of back of the oil pan. Bad weld by the manufacturer. I only checked where I notched it to fit the cross member.

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
4/17/20 5:38 a.m.

Status update .  I pulled the oil pan and welded up the leak. Reassembled everything turning it into a nice running car. Transmission shifts smothe , a little pep. Drove to work temps stayed in 180 range. All is good. Started driving home , then a little tap tap. Crusing at 2000 rpm 180 water temp , 190 oil temp ,60 psi. Then Bang Bang nothing. threw a rod. 

Done , Repairs will push it out of challenge budjet. 

I will rebuild...Because first car and all.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
4/17/20 10:07 a.m.

Dang son.......that sucks, doesn't Patrick have a throw down short block at good guy price wink......just now saw this carry on 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/20 10:30 a.m.

i think all we have laying around is a 307.  It may be out in the weather at this point.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/20 10:35 a.m.

Dang! I will say that I did the same thing to my mgb gt (also my first car). Rebuilt the engine and then threw a rod after like 35 miles.

It stings I know.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RnGZ3L040e6MpFnpE7yNFVFEkWCncLqdEVZVnJnV9FCDahJVssdJ0uWcs74dOPwX