Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/20/21 2:04 a.m.

Had a friend advise me to skip pertronix on my Bugeye as he had reliability issues with it. I thought they were a big well known name, but for right now I'm running points and have a spare set in the boot.

Sometimes old, dumb, and simple is the way. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/20/21 6:38 a.m.

Go on ebay and find a 25D distributor . 

Had a pertronix in my MGB for over 20 years, but I have heard rumors that since they company was sold to china quality has gone down. Points are the easy button. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/21 8:46 a.m.

If it's still the original distributor and you can put points back in it, I'd definitely agree that's the way to go to start with. Sometimes you have to remove parts of the distributor to put the module in and you may not be able to put points/condenser back in that distributor. That's why ,I assume, NOHOME suggested snagging a replacement distributor. 

Once it's running (cheaply) on points you can then assess whether electronic is a good option for him.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/20/21 8:49 p.m.

That MGB never had points. When new it was Lucas Opus, easily the least reliable electronic ignition ever. An earlier points distributor is an easy swap, just need one from a '73 or earlier car.

autocomman
autocomman New Reader
7/20/21 10:10 p.m.

Someone beat me to it, I was gonna say the Opus system, which is the worst of the worst.  Points dizzy, get a new one so the curve will be right, and also, the curve will be way better.  In 79 at least for the midget there was no timing in it from the factory for emissions reasons.  I doubt the B would be any different.  The petronix tend to be fine if you have the corect coil/ballast on it.  They like 3 ohms total, so either a resistor and 1.5 ohm coil, or a 3 ohm coil.  The ground is super important.  If the point plate where you moutn teh petronix has a weak or poor ground then thats a huge problem and can prematurly kill the module.   Also you cant just leave the key on, as it will burn the module out.  Usually before the coil pops like it would if you left the key on and the points were closed.  

New dizzy, points and condensor, and carry a spare set of points and condensor.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kf5fApboRrqyMxyOTmLRFYlCsl7BQSo0u0J90azb9AsEJsgEXEtXvY0YyTrNweLu