EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/23/15 12:40 p.m.

A couple years ago there was a post about a Mercedes wagon sitting in a garage in town with a for sale sign. I checked it out and it had been sitting for about 6-7 years after the owner parked it when the brakes started squealing. It didn't have a battery and the owner wouldn't give me a price until they got it running.

I left my phone number never expecting a call back. A year later I stopped by to check on it. Nothing had been done but the owner still insisted that they had a friend who was going to bring over a battery and get it running. I left my number and a $500 offer if they didn't get it running. Last week they called and said it was still sitting. They needed the money and I could have it for $500 if I hauled it away.

I borrowed a truck and hooked up my tow dolly. The seller was telling me how much she loved the car and hated to sell it. We pulled it out of the garage without much drama. I should have taken a picture of it sitting but didn't think about it. It was in a tight alley but we maneuvered it around and onto the tow dolly.

After getting it home the 900cca AGM battery I had ordered came in the mail so I decided to see if it would run. After about 15 seconds of cranking it fired up and the rear self leveling suspension pumped up. The fuel return lines were leaking badly so I shut it down. After replacing the lines I was able to let it run longer and drive around the block (with 8 year old diesel).

The fuel didn't look too bad but I decided to drain it anyway. The idle is very rough but it runs smooth off idle. The vacuum connectors look in poor shape so I will replace those. Driving around the block was hilarious. The accumulators for the rear suspension are shot so there was absolutely no suspension travel. Combined with the worn out driver seat I felt like the I was driving the Roadkill lowrider through the desert.

To Do:
Tires
Replace rear suspension with standard shocks and springs rather than fixing the SLS.
Fix vacuum leaks
Drive!

I want to lift it a bit and put 27.5" General Grabber AT2s on it but at $400+ for a set the Firestone Winterforce for $200 a set will probably happen instead.

The plan is to get this more reliable and sell my Subaru 2.5rs daily. I may be crazy.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
10/23/15 12:56 p.m.

Definitely replace the fuel filters before trusting it.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/23/15 12:59 p.m.

Luxurious!

EvanB
10/23/15 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

They have been replaced. And i am going to get spares to keep in the car.

I pulled the tank strainer yesterday and it was clean.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
10/23/15 1:12 p.m.

You are crazy. Make sure you check the chain. These are interference. I am willing to bet that the valves will need to be adjusted asap; they're on a 10-15k service interval.

And again, if you need any OM617 parts, just let me know. I might be able to help.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/23/15 5:16 p.m.

Hope you didn't tow it far with the rear wheels on the ground.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
10/23/15 7:15 p.m.

Good on the filters. If you are going to carry a spare spin on, a quart of ATF to prime it with isn't a bad idea.

In reply to bgkast:

I want to say those old MB 4 speed autos actually have a rear pump so they can be tow started.

EvanB
10/23/15 10:20 p.m.

Yes they do have a rear pump and I only went about 8 miles at less than 30mph so it should be good.

EvanB
10/31/15 7:24 p.m.

Decided to replace the bad accumulators for the self leveling suspension instead of converting it. They went in fairly easily and the rest of the system appears to be good.

I drove it to the gas station and back. One rear caliper is dragging and i need to do all the pads and rotors. Other than that it seems to run fairly well.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/1/15 4:08 p.m.

Nice wagon!

EvanB
11/1/15 4:13 p.m.

Ordered all the brake parts today along with some various filters. Also placed an order for the tires, Firestone Winterforce in 195/75r14 for $207 total.

Decided to mount up some driving lights I have had laying around that were originally meant for my Peugeot 405.

\

EvanB
11/1/15 5:46 p.m.

I also set aside one of the $3 boost gauges for later installation.

EvanB
11/13/15 4:09 p.m.

Earlier this week I had the new tires mounted and replaced the rear brakes. The fronts still have some life on them but pulse a bit so I will probably replace those at some point.

Today I changed the oil and spin-on fuel filter. I drove it a bit yesterday and today and it seems to drive well. It idles rough when cold but isn't bad when it warms up.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
11/13/15 4:34 p.m.

Sweet deal! I should put buy options on all of the decrepit hoopties in my neighborhood.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
11/14/15 7:50 a.m.

Did you adjust your valves yet? Might help with that rough idle.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
11/14/15 8:02 a.m.

I rallycross one of these in sedan form. It's not fast, but it's a riot. Pretty much requires a co-driver so you have someone to compete against since almost everyone else is beating you. Highly recommended. If you do RX it, never lift. Do all of your speed control with left foot braking. If you lift you lose boost and it takes ages to build it again.

EvanB
11/14/15 7:09 p.m.
Esoteric Nixon wrote: Did you adjust your valves yet? Might help with that rough idle.

Not yet but it is next on my list to do.

EvanB
11/14/15 7:10 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I intend to do at least one ice race this winter with it.

WaterfordMan
WaterfordMan New Reader
11/14/15 10:11 p.m.

Cool wagon! Best of luck with it as a DD! I'm leaning towards driving an older car every day as well. The newer stuff just seems to be less rewarding to keep going.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oNlK70bFg9313VAGpIy3FLPhvHT52Zu4vV0x12Y6huUyirZv9Vk0diUT62xlAfto