1 2 3 ... 12
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/27/11 8:31 a.m.

OK, after running it for $2011, almost as it was picked up and getting a miserable, but expected, result, I am going to post the updates for $2012.

This 86 Mustang LX was picked up on an eBay auction for $2000 with $2500 in brand new, but strange, selection of parts. At least I have plenty of swap parts and room for recoup money.

The guy stated he was building it for SCCA racing but the parts were not right for that use. They were all new and in the boxes though.

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 sets of rims, loads of parts including new headers, pan, gauges, tires, shocks, water pump/s, thermostat housing, stage II clutch and pressure plate, alternator, starter, wheels and tires, extra new tires, gaskets and bunch of other chrome and unnecessary (recoup) new junk/weird parts

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/27/11 8:38 a.m.

Engine is allegedly a Bennett Motorsports crate engine, but I have my doubts, definitely a 351 block and it does sound healthy. Trans is supposed to be built, as is rear end. No time to check before $2011 though.

Photobucket

We tuned, changed out the brand new MSD plug wires, changed oil, found the intermittent starting issue when we tried to time the dizzy. Distributor button in three pieces. Oops, glad i had a junk 302 lying around.

Minor body work and crappy paint applied

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That is how it ran at $2011, the suspension was simply awful, no front sway bar, softest shocks evar, broken front passenger side spring (found later), soft weak spring....ugh

Updated

This was difficult to find until we used a hammer on dizzy to set timing, then the problem became somewhat more obvious

Photobucket

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/27/11 8:40 a.m.

12 days from purchase it was at Gainesville.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Used tires from $2010 onto Mustang rims. Repair to floor as shown, ok so I'm not a welder or a painter.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Due credit, some of these photos were taken by other GRMers at the challenge

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/27/11 8:44 a.m.

Then I scored a 93 LX convertible from Maroon 92, which had sub frame connectors, Koni adjustable shocks, Eibach springs, a Steeda K member strut and I sourced a Steeda hollow front sway bar.

Found this

Photobucket

The front Koni didn't fit directly into position, as advised in advance by Brad, but some excess metal removal did the trick

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Fabricated new straps for the center sway bar mounts

Photobucket

Ta Da

Photobucket

Do you think the lift can handle it

Photobucket

Following the info from this link as well with a view to making it a nice streetable autocrosser

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/help-with-79-83-mustangs/40725/page1/

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/27/11 8:58 a.m.

Why is it everyone can find a clean notchback but me?

And with a 351 to boot... nice score, man!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/27/11 9:06 a.m.

It was advertised as a 408 but haven't confirmed that yet.

Photobucket

Maroon92's parts car

Photobucket

Photobucket

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/27/11 9:09 a.m.

I can't even find a decent engine for that amount. Good buy, and nice fast work.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/27/11 9:14 a.m.

SVrex's son might not agree, lol, he got a wild ride along. It was the worst handling pig this year, and the rear was spinning one tire. That is the next project, need to establish if it is a 31 or 28 spline rear.

Photobucket

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/11 9:27 a.m.

Following!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/27/11 9:34 a.m.

FWIW, Stock is 28-spline and usually anyone who goes 31 goes 5-lug at the same time.

If you want to keep it to challenge budget, Explorers had 31 spline axles, but I'm not sure if there's a year cut-off for those or not.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
10/27/11 10:01 a.m.

Explorer 8.8's should all be 31 spline, even the IRS's. But in order to do the cheapo 5 lug swap, you will have to stay 28 spline, unless you find some AM axles stupid cheap.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/27/11 10:05 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Explorer 8.8's should all be 31 spline, even the IRS's. But in order to do the cheapo 5 lug swap, you will have to stay 28 spline, unless you find some AM axles stupid cheap.

You can't just use two same-side half-shafts from an Exploder? :confused:

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
10/27/11 10:08 a.m.

LIKE !

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
10/27/11 10:38 a.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

The Explorer axle length is different then the widely excepted 2 driver side Ranger axle swap.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/11 1:44 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Why is it everyone can find a clean notchback but me?

I thought the same thing and then found two within a couple of months of each other...

I bought one and the one south of me (and WAY east of you ) is still for sale....talking to me....

Steve,

Let me know what old/new/weird parts you have and don't want. I might be interested...

...and keep us up to date on any progress!

Stan

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/27/11 2:43 p.m.

I am hesitant to say what the rear is, as he listed it as having $2800 spent on the rear, supposedly including Mosier axles etc. He also said he exchanged the ring and pinion for a 3.55 yet it spun one wheel throughout the event. Did he swap the whole LSD pig for an open 3.55 pig, or is it worn out LSD or....you get the picture.

Due to this and his lack of systematic approach I am making no calls on the rear until I get it pulled apart. I happen to have a Ford Motorsport LSD in 28 spline on the shelf from another old Maroon92 car which owes me nothing, so I am hoping for Challenge sake that it is a 28.

Stan message sent

Photobucket

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/27/11 3:09 p.m.

So, does this mean the S10 isn't coming back? I was hoping to see how it did all sorted out someday.

Bryce

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
10/27/11 3:51 p.m.

I would bet on toasted clutch packs on the stock trac-lok. You can get replacement clutch packs..

New clutches are <$100 and if you change the packing order you can tighten it up for better performance.

IIRC the stock order is something like (S=Steel, F=friction) SFSSFSSFS or something like that if you change to SFSFSFS or thereabouts it works better. Theres a thread on corner-carvers, but I cant find it in a quick search.

Especially on a softly spring car with any power, the LSD lives a SHORT life and outside of racers and off-roaders, who ever thinks about rebuilding that?

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
10/27/11 4:07 p.m.

One way to almost guarantee that the trac-loc stays locked is to install the F150 spring in a 28 spline gear'd case. It took a 5# sledge and a hose clamp to install one in my GT years ago.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/29/11 8:19 a.m.
Nashco wrote: So, does this mean the S10 isn't coming back? I was hoping to see how it did all sorted out someday. Bryce

S10 will come back, it should be much more sorted and way less street friendly.

Listed some parts for sale or swap, here's hoping somebody has what I need in exchange for parts I don't.

Planning on locating the rear with a homemade 5 link instead of the flawed stock 4 link, sort of like the S10 was done..

Ranger50 wrote: One way to almost guarantee that the trac-loc stays locked is to install the F150 spring in a 28 spline gear'd case. It took a 5# sledge and a hose clamp to install one in my GT years ago.

Nice, will be looking for F150 springs

Photobucket

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/29/11 12:28 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: It was advertised as a 408 but haven't confirmed that yet. Photobucket

L'ilRex ain't anywhere NEAR the ballast you needed to keep that thing close to level!

It's really bad when a 12 yo boy whose walls are plastered with pictures of Mustangs says he preferred riding in the VW Rabbit!

BTW, that was a pretty awesome offer, aussie. L'ilRex had a blast!

pres589
pres589 Dork
10/29/11 12:43 p.m.

I really like that body style, it's too bad FoMoCo didn't sell similar-year Capri's with the flared fenders in a notch format. I'm watching to see how you deal with making this car handle well on low amounts of funding.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/29/11 4:16 p.m.

Scored a set of rear 88 Turbo Thunderbird 4 lug rear discs complete with brackets, calipers, new pads and new in box bigger master-cylinder. The lot was listed on CL for $75, but he accepted a swap for a pair of polished shorty headers that came with the car.

Sweet.

With the springs, shocks and front bar the rear end flaws and flexy body are just highlighted more. The car needs alignment also, but the rear is constantly twitching and the front tramlines badly with the Hoosiers.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
10/29/11 6:25 p.m.

Nice score on the brakes. Remember, though that drum brakes are a little lighter and can be adjusted back for less resistance on the drag strip.

I can snap a few pictures of the subframe connectors I foolishly bought that you can just as easily make out of some square tubing, if that helps you out.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/29/11 7:21 p.m.

Thanks Matt, but a brand new, weld in, pair of BBKs came with the vert parts car.

Chasing a cage as we speak.

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WNivVl7q620L8vBt6NjE52J6OfKOukbvB95dlA0a4LgwwCLXQe11cCRXgFlfC6eG