1 ... 23 24 25
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/16 12:17 p.m.
Knurled wrote: What a long and strange trip that engine's had. I think that I bought that engine from a GRM'er in 2012 or 2013 or something. Driving through SW PA with an overloaded wagon on dried out snow tires in a monsoon was interesting.

That would be me. I'm glad it still runs!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
7/17/16 2:19 p.m.

Hells yes!

Epic! Just epic!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
7/17/16 2:27 p.m.

Back in the garage, out of the way so I can work on other things...

I'm going to try to have the Merkur ready for Black River Stages, but the RX7 is now in good enough shape to be considered backup- it's more or less ready to go if I make a new exhaust and get the body work back on it.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
7/17/16 4:10 p.m.

I saw you entered

I thought the Merkur was more or less stage-ready? What kind of things do you have to do to it?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
7/17/16 4:41 p.m.

It will get its' own thread soon- technically it only needs door bar gussets to be ready to run, but it has also basically been sitting for 5-10 yrs so I want to go through everything. There are also a few things I'd like to change "while I'm in there" to reduce my chances of crashing the thing or having a mechanical DNF.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/16 6:53 p.m.

I would be really interested to know what a compression test says about that engine. It has sat for a long time...

It was fast in my wife's car and got her signed off to do track days at a few tracks. Now, I'm not sure why we got rid of it....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
7/22/16 3:14 p.m.

Another awesome image from Magnum Opus, courtesy of the guy in the watermark with the website that REALLY discourages hotlinking- I'd buy it but the prices are steep:

I've been working on the XR4Ti, but have been too busy to start a build thread. Soon.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
9/26/16 4:48 a.m.

RX7 is getting some attention again!

Stock exhaust reinstalled, mid section made entirely from scraps:

"HK5" filter from Amazon:

Hood pins to keep the hatch shut despite the busted latches:

Also bled the brakes which mysteriously got soft after the car sat for a few months, and installed some older belts from the Merkur since we stole this car's (still legal) belts for that car. Hopefully test driving again today after work.

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
9/26/16 7:55 a.m.

I suppose you don't need every last horsepower in this car, but on the Miatas at least, that style intake is pretty restrictive compared to a gentle round->square conversion. RX7 doesn't care?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
9/26/16 8:02 a.m.

Honestly I have no idea. This filter and adapter were chosen based on price and ease of maintenance- I can pull the foam, wash it, and re-oil it very easily. I'm not concerned about making this car more powerful, it has a nice balance going on where it can't go fast enough to really destroy itself despite the amount of wear and tear on everything.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
9/26/16 8:28 a.m.

That car is a hero!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
11/6/16 12:03 p.m.

The car left with its' new owner today, destined for more rally adventures. I miss it already, but it didn't seem right to keep it sitting around just for sentimental value.

1 ... 23 24 25

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mNHyZ9fp2azBh7eRYI1DNtvUpQmPuRvOXjmKakUe4Ghzqf1hLvoegOjFhGx5h6h3