1 2 3 4
Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
8/23/14 7:25 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Ghooble wrote: I can use some quicksteel like they use on PPorted rotaries to fix it up.
do tell... do these see gasoline, or do they just help with air flow....????

The steel is used to fill the gaps from when you bore out the sides of the housings like in this picture

http://webpages.charter.net/mikeroberts/port27.jpg

This is the epoxy most people use I guess http://www.racingbeat.com/RX7-1986-1992/Engine-External/19994.html

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
8/24/14 6:26 p.m.

Hey guys...ready for it?

Are ya ready?

Are you reaaaally ready for it?

MORE SURPRISES!

petegans
petegans New Reader
8/25/14 10:49 a.m.

YIKES!!

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
8/25/14 10:51 a.m.
petegans wrote: YIKES!!

Yeah it's pretty bad. I'm on the hunt for a new one now and I'll just use the build kit on that.

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
8/26/14 9:36 p.m.

Swapped the RX7's diff fluid today for some Valvoline 80w-90 instead of whatever it had in it because I forgot if I put LSD oil in last time. No pics but I'm going back to the Celica in 2 days and will take pics of whatever I decide to do with it.

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
8/27/14 12:22 a.m.

After doing some backroad driving in the MR2 twice today it developed a slight rattle noise over bumps in the front driver's side. After looking around thinking my sway bar had come loose again it turns out my brake line clamp dislodged itself. Looks like I need to grab another from my Parent's house.

Also originally when I was building this car for some reason I thought these were power steering lines so I decided to keep them in the car in case I ever wanted it. I quickly realized they were AC lines but never got around to taking them out. Started to tonight then realized I didn't have two of the right sized wrenches. Will have to come back to this after buying more tools

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
8/27/14 1:03 p.m.

Did some minor work this morning just to kind of see how the MR2 is dealing with the driving. It looks like it's doing pretty damn well actually.

Put on the Distributor blanket because I think I'm finally done messing with timing..for now.

The aftermath of driving the roads around here multiple times a day for the last week or so.

Looks like my Air filter isn't quite sealing well enough. Expected that though because it was kind of gerry-rigged just to get it to hold in place temporarily. Will make a proper filter attachment at my Parent's house and have my brother TIG it all together this weekend.

Two things: Looks like the AFR is pretty solid but it also looks like I have some oil in my valley cover. Could be left over from when I swapped this head in though because I remember there being oil in there and I accidentally spilled some in during the last change.

I cleaned out the Cyl 1 threads and put the plug back in. After some driving we'll see if it gets worse. My dipstick says everything is good so it easily could have been residual.

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
8/27/14 3:36 p.m.

Picked up the old (pretty new tread) from the PO for the Celica.

Some studded Hankook IPikes. This thing is going to slay the snow.

Also brought my total tire count up to 3 sets but I'm probably going to sell the ones that are currently on the car. I got 14s, 15s, and 17s.

Edit: Also just got a call from the freighters. Transmission comes tomorrow

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
8/28/14 8:58 p.m.

Transmission is here!

And...

Alright well hopefully this (and the turbo) will be the last of my major money spending. Time will tell

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
8/29/14 8:58 p.m.

Made a rough air filter adapter using our small bandsaw and had my brother TIG it.

Actually made two because he barely ever welds aluminum and wanted the practice; but I kept the better looking one.

Also pulled the valve cover on the Celica engine. The head has a hairline crack where that gen 3sgte's always got them (right near the top so it's not so severe). Going to probably drill on both sides of the crack and have my brother TIG that too. Currently undecided on it.

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
8/31/14 1:37 p.m.

Took some pictures last night. Got the turbo off, AC off, and Oil Pan off (again). I'll upload them later today. The crack in the head isn't as bad as I thought which is good and I'll probably pull a rod bearing to check out how they look tonight. The car used to have a knocking-type noise on start up for about 5 seconds then it would go away. Sounded different than a normal lifter tick so hopefully nothing too severe.

Edit: Oh and I made an EGR block off plate than I'm going to clean up at work today.

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
8/31/14 9:40 p.m.

Timing cover removed

PO was nice enough to 3/4 the way unbolt the AC compressor for me

Compressor off

Idler pulley off

Alternator off

Turbo hose routing

Turbo and manifold finally come off

Valves look like they got some build up. Anybody have opinions on whether or not they need to get lapped and cleaned? (Oldeskewltoy I'm looking at you)

Some burnt oil on the cams

I made a rough block off plate for the EGR. It's a bit cleaner now that I scotchbrited and deburred it.

I'm back to Ellensburg tonight and I'll install the new air filter adapter. Hopefully I'll get to drive it tonight too.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
9/1/14 10:22 a.m.

Considering the PO.......

Get it cleaned, pressure checked, and a 3 angle valve job.... you can add a back cut... or maybe replace with better valves

Concerning porting...... I've not yet seen 3SGT porting results I'd say merit significant port work.... At most a small amount of bowl to seat work is likely beneficial.... but with the 3SGT heads... less is more.

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
9/1/14 10:52 a.m.

Got a vendor for valves that you'd recommend? I haven't delved too much into headwork before outside of installing valves I already had from a project car buy (on the MR2).

I'm looking for OEM quality if I can get it. I want them to last as long as possible at slightly higher than stock levels.

How is BrianCrower?

I appreciate the reply

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
9/1/14 11:31 a.m.
Ghooble wrote: Got a vendor for valves that you'd recommend? I haven't delved too much into headwork before outside of installing valves I already had from a project car buy (on the MR2). I'm looking for OEM quality if I can get it. I want them to last as long as possible at slightly higher than stock levels. How is BrianCrower? I appreciate the reply

I don't know a whole lot about 3S architecture... but briefly searching... Brian Crower, Supertech, and Ferrea make valves for the 3SGTE... as does Toyota...

As far as OEM... a back cut Toyota valve may be more than adequate... if your valves are all usable, this would be the least costly.

As far as all the other valves... they only way you know for sure the best... is to put them in a head, and either flowbench test them... or bolt the engine together and really test them... but alas your budget and time isn't that deep.

Finally... I've done some research into my "archive" and as far back as the 1998 TRD catalog (Japanese print), there were no TRD performance upgrade valves for the 3SGT engines.... there may have been earlier... but no trace in 1998 or later. That might mean the 3SGTE was fine running stock, or modified stock... or they were rules restricted to run stock.

as far as what angles... and what back cut... you might check in the factory service manual for what the factory "approved" 3 angle is(30, 45, 75), or you could do some research into what the best 3SGT 3 angle is...

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
9/1/14 11:52 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Ghooble wrote: Got a vendor for valves that you'd recommend? I haven't delved too much into headwork before outside of installing valves I already had from a project car buy (on the MR2). I'm looking for OEM quality if I can get it. I want them to last as long as possible at slightly higher than stock levels. How is BrianCrower? I appreciate the reply
I don't know a whole lot about 3S architecture... but briefly searching... Brian Crower, Supertech, and Ferrea make valves for the 3SGTE... as does Toyota... As far as OEM... a back cut Toyota valve may be more than adequate... if your valves are all usable, this would be the least costly. As far as all the other valves... they only way you know for sure the best... is to put them in a head, and either flowbench test them... or bolt the engine together and really test them... but alas your budget and time isn't that deep. Finally... I've done some research into my "archive" and as far back as the 1998 TRD catalog (Japanese print), there were no TRD performance upgrade valves for the 3SGT engines.... there may have been earlier... but no trace in 1998 or later. That might mean the 3SGTE was fine running stock, or modified stock... or they were rules restricted to run stock. as far as what angles... and what back cut... you might check in the factory service manual for what the factory "approved" 3 angle is(30, 45, 75), or you could do some research into what the best 3SGT 3 angle is...

Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't be opposed to buying Crower valves assuming that the price I'm seeing for valves is for the set and not for singles.

I'm also looking into either an OEM headgasket or a Cometic (leaning towards OEM). I've heard really good things about both.

Then there's the ARP vs OEM bolt selection I have to deal with for Rods/Mains/Head fasteners..

So much to do!

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
9/1/14 5:31 p.m.

Decided to do the steering rack and sway bar bushings on the MR2 today since I had spares and I couldn't drive it. Can't drive it because I'm so berkeleying smart that I totally realized my Air filter was a 3" ID flange and the pipe I had my brother weld was a 2.5" OD..

Removed crossmember

Brackets and old bushings off

New bushings in

AC Condenser out, will figure out how to take out the rest of the lines a bit later today. It's food time.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
9/3/14 1:02 p.m.

Very cool builds!!! I have a '91 MR2 Turbo and did a Cosmetic .051" head gasket with the ARP Head Studs that the previous owner did. I run 14-15 psi on the stock CT-26 with a 255lph Walbro fuelpump. Will keep an eye on this build!

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
9/3/14 10:59 p.m.
dansxr2 wrote: Very cool builds!!! I have a '91 MR2 Turbo and did a Cosmetic .051" head gasket with the ARP Head Studs that the previous owner did. I run 14-15 psi on the stock CT-26 with a 255lph Walbro fuelpump. Will keep an eye on this build!

Thanks man. I'm definitely going to get ARP head studs and probably rod studs. I don't think I'm going to crank the boost though because that's more involved than I want to be in the car as far as fueling and wiring goes.

We'll see what happens.

AC is probably coming out to help airflow in the engine bay a bit because it's so stupidly hot in there and it stays hot as hell for many hours after running.

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
9/9/14 7:37 p.m.

AC Condenser is out of the Celica, I bought some urethane and filled my engine mounts, and I started pulling the rear subframe to swap the diff.

The turbo arrived at my house in Ellensburg so I'll rebuild that next week.

I'm staying at my parent's in Granite this week to help my buddy get the MR2 running. Hopefully we'll start it tonight.

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
9/12/14 8:44 a.m.

MR2 started and will sort of run (doesn't idle and runs really rough).

I got the rest of the bearings pulled..they look like crap.

Head is pulled, it looks pretty good everything smells like burned oil.

Differential housing is out, going to swap diffs tonight I think.

I'm going to sand blast the valve cover hopefully this weekend at work.

Going to clean the cams at work this weekend too.

Bearings will be ordered this weekend.

Hopefully I can actually upload pictures later today on lunch or something. This thread is lacking pictures recently.

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
9/14/14 9:20 p.m.

Ring gear on the diff is swapped finally. Had to heat it in a toaster oven to 200* to make it fit then located it with 2 bolts.

Couldn't do any sand blasting because the media wasn't contaminated unfortunately but I got to use the part washer for my head and oil pan.

Ordered a Toyota engine overhaul kit but I'm not 100% what it's coming with so I'm going to hold off any more orders until the kit comes.

The cams at their worst are .0001" out of print but I didn't have plastigauge to check the oil clearance. I'll put the engine together with them then when I finally find a 3sge in the scrap yard again I'll snag the cams and swap them over.

Also ordered Toyota's gearbox and diff fipg. Authentic all the way through

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
9/16/14 9:33 p.m.

Waiting on parts for the Celica to arrive.

Air filter came for the MR2 and I took it out for a drive with my buddy. I finally found out why it was so weak above 4k...my TVIS valve was backwards. I flipped it around and it's easily twice as fast

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
9/19/14 10:41 p.m.

Hey look it's a picture dump!

Random pictures I haven't had a chance to upload.

Progress: I got the diff installed, I think I checked the backlash right (dear God I hope so), and the carrier sealant is drying.

Toyota apparently no longer makes gasket kits for my car (my order got canceled) so I ordered some Cometic kits that should be here by Wednesday I think OEM Timing belt and piston rings though and Clevite bearings.

My bearings were roasted as you'll see.

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
9/28/14 10:32 p.m.

What's that Lassie? All my millions of viewers want an update?

Water pump off, after looking through my gaskets I can't find this O-Ring...which sucks.

Oil pump off

Timing pulley off

Front cover off

My Dad and I are both taking this week to work on the car...hopefully a good amount of progress (and pictures) happen.

We'll see how it goes.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qNck4VXgfDF0o5sa29q8gersGKiKDtYPHodHJxvCP9gTf9chvJYZolYwCgPOSx0H