1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
4/10/13 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

I had my brother in-law re-plate all of the visible engine hardware yellow zinc aong with the throttle linkage and the valve cover. he threw in some hose clamps that some guy with a porsche dropped off at his shop and never came back to pick them up or pay.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/10/13 11:19 a.m.
2K4Kcsq wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: I had my brother in-law re-plate all of the visible engine hardware yellow zinc aong with the throttle linkage and the valve cover. he threw in some hose clamps that some guy with a porsche dropped off at his shop and never came back to pick them up or pay.

Nice!!!!!

I've been wanting to do that with two of my cars but never get around to making the plating setup.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
4/10/13 12:13 p.m.

good call, I have been wanting to make something strictly for stripping things down to bare metal.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/10/13 12:21 p.m.
2K4Kcsq wrote: good call, I have been wanting to make something strictly for stripping things down to bare metal.

I have a sandblasting cabinet.... but i don't particularly enjoy sandblasting bolts for various reasons.

Would your brother-in-law be willing to do more of such a thing for financial compensation?

rjones33
rjones33 New Reader
4/10/13 2:14 p.m.

<<<< New avatar is borne from this thread. Thanks!

unt0uchable
unt0uchable New Reader
4/10/13 2:19 p.m.

Just read through the whole build. Sounds like this cars been through some ups and downs. Kudo's for sticking with it! I always liked these cars when I was hangin around with the VW/Audi crowd.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
4/10/13 10:53 p.m.

we have had some exciting moments in this car for sure. wouldn't have it any other way

love the avatar, I have had an idea for a funny short animation about "the birth of the 5 cylinder" using an image like that. . . i need to get on that. anyone know of a free animation generator??

as far as the plating goes, he works at a local plating shop so I doubt he would turn down the work. . . getting the parts too him might be more expensive than what you would save but they are cheaper than any other shop I have dealt with.

back to the audi content, finished up the passenger flare welding and got the driver side fitted and tac'd in. the driver front was a little tweaked on the doner rabbit but I got it straight and it fit quite nicely. . much better than I thought

a little short of my goal today but this is not something to be rushed

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
4/12/13 5:24 p.m.

fronts are done. ready for bodywork and paint atleast. couldn't resist putting the bumper & trim on with the wheels to see how everything looked and fit. Seeing it now I'm glad I went for it.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
4/12/13 6:07 p.m.

Rabbit fenders are the best, lol.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
4/13/13 8:05 p.m.

they sure wrap those 225's quite nicely if I put a small spacer on the front I could get wider tires next time

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
4/16/13 1:15 a.m.

That looks incredible! I envy your straight body lines. I have to do major surgery or bolt-on flares to keep my bubbly roundness :/

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
4/16/13 10:54 p.m.

I'm no body man but to me this is major surgery!! deffinetly the most involved modification I plan on making to this car. I say that mostly because it requires bodywork and paint. not my forte but i enjoy a challenge and so far I feel like i'm winning

the rears will be done tomorrow.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
4/19/13 7:56 a.m.

well the rears are almost done. lol still working on the inner fenders and I still need to blend the lower rear corner into the body, even if it is going to be hidden by the bumper & trim. here are a couple more pics. . . despite all my searching the last few monthes I can only find 2 other 4000's that I'm certain have golf flares. . . . seems most people just like talking about doing it.

After almost 80 hrs of solid work I can understand why not many have made this happen.

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica New Reader
4/19/13 5:50 p.m.

This is very, very cool. Can't wait to see it back on the ground and stuffed full of tire!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
4/20/13 8:40 a.m.

Hell yeah!

I think part of my delusional ideas of getting so much done in one day stems from my excitement to get it sitting down on those wheels

got a little work left on the passenger rear inner fender but otherwise it's getting close.

Winston
Winston HalfDork
4/20/13 9:08 a.m.

Those look really good, man. Kudos to you for actually doing what others mostly talk about.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
4/20/13 7:02 p.m.

thanks man. . . it takes courage to cut into a straight body for no reason other than changing the look. sure is alot easier when your cutting out rust but I'm glad everything has gone so smoothly.

Gonna start the body work monday and I already have a couple quarts of tornado red. . . you guys think I could have it painted by friday?? or am I being delusional again??

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
4/29/13 10:33 a.m.

Roter Berg Kreuzen 2013:

I was sick as a dog last week so that put a hold on my bodywork efforts. I was just glad to get the bare metal covered up and the bumpers & trim installed so I could take it up to our little gathering this past weekend. What an awesome group to spend it with. very clean, cool cars. good food, good people, awesome drive with amazing views. can't ask for much more. now I must get the bodywork & paint done in time for wuste lucky 7. can't wait to show it off in vegas next month.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
4/29/13 2:57 p.m.

a few more good pics I borrowed from a friend on the cruise. Thanks Rich!

I really like this one. from left to right, my best friend Wes, (his dad was the previous owner) my wife Katrina, and fellow 4000 owner Keela from the sand dune pics way back in the thread.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/29/13 4:21 p.m.

Yes!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
5/1/13 9:29 a.m.

Here's the video from this year. What a blast. Hopefully our little event will continue to grow every year.

Roter Berg Kreuzen 2013

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
5/4/13 9:26 p.m.

got it "stripped" down, as in, bumpers & trim removed, cleaned up, had to scrub the living crap out of the core support & lower front fenders, took the low spots down to bare metal, spread filler, rust treated, hammered out the highs, and got a little blocking in. . . probly needs a few more coats of filler in a few places but it's moving along. . . the plan is to get it in primer next weekend, then red again the folowing weekend.

05_ultrasport
05_ultrasport New Reader
5/4/13 10:11 p.m.

The car looks awesome, I love the rolled fenders. Have you been on motorgeeks? Tons of audi info and probably the best place to find parts for older audis.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
5/5/13 2:18 p.m.

Thanks man, and yes I am on motorgeek, under the username westco4k. Pretty cool place, lots of knowlegable people for sure. I even scored some pistons over there for the 10 valve turbo engine for basicly nothing. speaking of which, I should have my block back from the machine shop any day now. . . once I get that and my crank back i'll be assembling a new long block. . . by far my favorite part of any car project!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
5/7/13 1:30 p.m.

So I work nights now. . . 3pm-2am. . . naturally i'm still wide awake when I get home so I have been doing alot of early morning block sanding. It's getting there but still not ready for primer. my rage filler supply is dwindling, may have to tap into a can of bondo brand to finish it up hopefully I don't spend too much time chasing pin holes if I resort to that. anyway, here it was at 3:45 this morning I hate how ugly cars look at this stage but if all goes well it will be lookin sharp again soon. Better than ever I hope

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HYYxcAXBmOxNMq2sCrZmEUOcIzkxU0fhh6LyBEGBbaHHcqli77LfkQuBTY757GoA