1 2 3 4 ... 10
The_Jed
The_Jed HalfDork
10/7/12 11:25 a.m.

Progress!!

Well a little bit anyway...

I successfully removed three of the air bags but the driver's side rear has a thoroughly seized bolt. It turns, with great effort, and I was able to remove the bracket that it screws into but the bolt will not come out. I think something may have corrosion welded onto the shank and is keeping it from moving axially. At some point, when I get more than 30 minutes of solid wrench time, and I'm not working 12's, I'll have to run an extension cord from the house, power up the air compressor and use my air chisel/hammer to shoot out the bolt. (No electricity in the garage.)

The driver's side front coil spring is in place but I still haven't dropped the fuel tank. I'll probably get to that when I liberate the recalcitrant air spring bolt.

The_Jed
The_Jed HalfDork
10/7/12 11:53 a.m.

Driver's side front.

The_Jed
The_Jed HalfDork
11/13/12 8:28 p.m.

A tad more progress:

I replaced the driver's side front brake line (The passenger side had a different size fitting and the replacement didn't fit.), the passenger side inner tie rod and the front sway bar endlinks. The front end is complete minus a decent alignment. The Mustang wheels are on and it's on the ground, the front anyway. The rear is still on jack stands awaiting fuel tank removal and a passenger side upper spring mount rebuild.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
12/8/12 7:45 a.m.

Most triumphant!!!!

I drove the Stincoln out of the garage last night and promptly did an itty-bitty burnout in the driveway!

I still have a few issues to button up but it's mobile. Oddly, I never really payed attention to the idle before. Yesterday I noticed it's a bit choppy, almost like a TFS stage 1 or E cam. Maybe it's just the normal speed density whingey idle, I dunno.

Super late edit:

I borrowed a small welder from a co worker and was able to cut out and rebuild the upper spring mount.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
12/8/12 9:20 a.m.

Running and driving once again - Always good to keep a project moving forward.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
12/8/12 12:21 p.m.

Definitely a good feeling.

I just took it around the block and I REALLY like the way it drives.

TORQUE!!! (Keep in mind I DD a high mile EJ22.)

I was shocked. I've driven more than a few high mile foxes so I was expecting the vague, disconnected-from-the-road-feeling, but it felt good...almost sporty.

I think it looks decent with the "waffle" SN95 GT wheels too, even if they are all curves and the car is all angles. I'll have to post some pics when we get back from Chicago.

I changed the oil when i got back from the drive. Looks like it's been a while since it was changed.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
12/8/12 1:21 p.m.

Damn it, now I want my own Stincoln.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
12/15/12 2:57 p.m.

Kinda rough in spots, but it's not too bad.

Seinfeld What is with strutmasters and the muscle car rake? Seinfeld

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
12/15/12 3:17 p.m.

Cool! Could you tuck the front bumper in a bit? I like the stance & ride height. What's next on the to-do list, anything?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/12 3:36 p.m.

Those wheels completely change the attitude of that car. I'm having fun reading about this car.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
12/15/12 3:52 p.m.

Future plans are a set of used sporty tires for the 16's and a set of used all terrain type tires for the 15's then hit some Solo2 and Rallycross events!

The passenger side window got stuck open the other day so i had to peel off the door panel and free it up. I can't believe the amount of braces they put ALL OVER in these cars; Marks are SOLID!! It makes me wish I had bought one several years ago.

Caleb
Caleb Reader
12/15/12 7:14 p.m.

It's looking good man, but i think you should "black-out" the front and back crome bumpers. Just a nice simple satin black.

Hey i have a B&M shiftkit installed in an AODE transmission i'm getting ready to scrap. I'm not sure if if it would work with a AOD but i will give you the entire valvebody and springs if you can use it for, the price of shipping

Let me know if you want it

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/12 7:39 p.m.

I love this place!

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
12/16/12 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Caleb:

That's awesome! The offer is greatly appreciated, but I don't plan to get that deep into the transmission. The shifts are still nice and snappy! Barring catastrophe, the most I plan to do is a fluid and filter change.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/5/13 6:17 a.m.

I was gifted a set of tires by a friend who owns a small SUV. They are 235/70R-16 sort of all terrain tires. They're worn but better than what is currently on the "waffles".

Hopefully they fit...

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/18/13 10:45 a.m.

Parts!!

The first in a trickle of ho-hum, O.E. replacement parts. Feast your eyes!

Don't tell the wife I leaned it against her Burban!

Speaking of the Burban, here's it's dirty butt!

Also making a guest appearance...the Scoob!

Haggard.

Morbid
Morbid Reader
1/18/13 12:35 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: Parts!! The first in a trickle of ho-hum, O.E. replacement parts. Feast your eyes! Don't tell the wife I leaned it against her Burban!

Thankfully it's just leaning against the tire, otherwise, I'd be upset at the contamination of my lovely 'Burban.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
1/18/13 12:55 p.m.

Oh man, I walked out off the office the other night and one of my guys had sat there bag of tools and lunch box on the hood of my car. I went ape E36 M3. Your lucky I'm not married to you

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/18/13 1:24 p.m.

In reply to nicksta43:

<----- C'mon, can you stay mad at this face?

The furry one...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/18/13 1:25 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: In reply to nicksta43: <----- C'mon, can you stay mad at this face? The furry one...

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/19/13 2:43 p.m.

Quick update:

I'm slowly getting the wiring sorted since, at one point, apparently, someone hastily installed some thumping speakers and an amp. The battery cables had screw in terminals that had seen better days. Since that battery is toast I took an extra set of cables from the Scoob's engine donor ('92 Legacy) and stuck them on there to simplify and clean up the wiring a bit.

Now the Stincoln is part Subaru!

I fired it up and moved it around a bit, then I yanked the passenger seat. On a whim I ran inside and grabbed the bathroom scale.

Those front seats weigh 65 damn pounds!

EACH!!!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
1/19/13 8:37 p.m.

my mk8's weigh 80. each.

but they sure are comfy, arent they?

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/20/13 12:13 a.m.

Yes they are.

I'm still on the lookout for Fox LX seats, though. If I can drop close to 100 lbs with a simple seat swap, I'll take the loss of comfort.

Epic builds, by the way. Is your Mark on here?

I've geeked on your Duster, your S10 and even the Neon.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
1/20/13 7:33 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Oh man, I walked out off the office the other night and one of my guys had sat there bag of tools and lunch box on the hood of my car.

A few months ago I was looking at hundreds of deep scratches across the hood of my F-I-Laws Buick LeSabre........why is your hood all scratched up? (Looks awful)

His 45 year old daughter had moved home and would slide the laundry basket across the hood on her way to the laundry room. Then she denied it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
1/20/13 12:28 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: Yes they are. I'm still on the lookout for Fox LX seats, though. If I can drop close to 100 lbs with a simple seat swap, I'll take the loss of comfort. Epic builds, by the way. Is your Mark on here? I've geeked on your Duster, your S10 and even the Neon.

nah, using the mk8 seats in the duster. they even hhave butt warmers.

now doing the firebird build as well.

i have too many projects....

1 2 3 4 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nMAAgyGtqAyiepGR7eSQWp3EW2wPskPC7CrQSu3wXaZXtQnpbCgJ3CQVAA2vyHzu