1 2 3 4 ... 6
crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/7/13 2:34 p.m.
Winston wrote: I love these cars, and yours is really sweet!

x2!

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/7/13 2:57 p.m.

This. This is an excellente build thread. I know very little of these cars, but I read every post, and was captivated.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/7/13 3:10 p.m.

Great Googly Moogly!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/7/13 3:25 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: Great Googly Moogly!

cdowd
cdowd Reader
4/8/13 8:27 a.m.

My dad bought one of these new in 87. they really are a neat car. I sold it to pilotbraden on this forum years ago. Unfortunately it was stolen and wrecked a few years after that. He was able to part it for a profit though. Great build I am looking forward to updates.

Chris

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/8/13 8:31 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/8/13 8:51 a.m.

Ever since I saw a Wheeler Dealers episode on the Cosworth 190e years ago, Ive been hooked! Yours is a terrific example. I really love the build, and hope you continue to keep us posted!

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/8/13 9:15 a.m.

Thanks for the support, guys! This is my first major build and I started off with an unloved/oddball platform, so it's been a bit of a struggle to get this far over the last couple of years.

Lots more in the works...

LanEvo
4/8/13 10:22 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Ever since I saw a Wheeler Dealers episode on the Cosworth 190e years ago, Ive been hooked!

This is one my inspirations for the build:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw-AxiVqihM

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
4/8/13 11:15 a.m.

Awesome build. It's great to see cars different from the normal Miata/E30/Scoobie's that are always around. Also great to see an icon of times past. Keep up the great work.

P.S. I don't think the GT3 orange and black is cheesey, I think it's awesome.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/8/13 12:27 p.m.

IHROTM!

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
4/8/13 4:17 p.m.

car looks awesome!

all those pics just remind me harder that i need to get my ass back up to Tremblant. i love that track.

LanEvo
4/8/13 4:18 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: IHROTM!

I'm not familiar with that acronym.

International Harvester: Rise of the Machines?

Institue of Human Reproduction: Office of Technology Management?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/8/13 4:20 p.m.

or GRM-specific "Internet.Hot.Rod.Of.The.Month" magazine feature

bikerbenz
bikerbenz Reader
4/8/13 10:05 p.m.

Martin Brundle would be proud. I like it too.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/8/13 10:25 p.m.

Fantastic! I've always wanted one of these cars. I didn't realize they had a sls system. Did you have to make any other changes to the rear suspension when you removed the system?

LanEvo
4/8/13 11:07 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Fantastic! I've always wanted one of these cars. I didn't realize they had a sls system.

The 2.3-16, 2.5-16, and 2.5-16 Evo I all had SLS on the rear only. The 2.5-16 Evo II had SLS front and rear; also you could adjust the ride height from inside the cabin.

bgkast wrote: Did you have to make any other changes to the rear suspension when you removed the system?

The previous owner had already deactivated the SLS: the car had H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein Sport dampers at all 4 corners when I got it. He told me it was a simple matter of yanking out the rear shocks and plugging the lines.

When we installed the coilovers, we wanted to get rid of the remnants of the system: engine-driven pump; front reservoir; hard lines; and rear canisters.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
4/9/13 8:16 p.m.

Awesome build thread! I've been keeping my eyes open for a good, clean 190E Cosworth for the past few months and would consider getting one if the price is right. Reading this thread makes me want one even more.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
4/10/13 9:19 a.m.

Very cool , always wanted a 190

Eurotrash
Eurotrash New Reader
4/11/13 2:10 p.m.

Almost bought one last month when my s4 trunk was totalled. Looked and couldnt bring myself to pull the trigger on a car fhat was almost 30 yrs old, had a choppy idle, pass window didnt work, and pass door didnt close without messing with the door. Atleast not for 7k. Mind you it only had 85k but that made me even more nervious considing the idle. Prob would of bought it if it ran alittle more smooth. I love these cars. Wound up buying a wrecked e30 for cheap and fixing it. Ill be keeping an eye out for one i can daily though. Such a cool car.

LanEvo
4/19/13 11:19 p.m.

Last month I took the car out for it's first track day of the season: an invitational open lapping day at NJMP--Thunderbolt known as Jeffapalooza. This season, I'm running a stickier tire compound and we made some changes to the alignment. We'd use this day to fine-tune the car's handling.

Driving to the circuit from Manhattan, I caught up to the mothership: the GPS Motorsports trailer:

I arrived too late to get a spot in the covered paddocks. Considering my car has no HVAC system and temps were in the freezing range, this wasn't going to be fun! Lots of interesting cars:

On the left, you can see an E30 sporting the GPS Motorsports livery:

After unloading the car, enjoying a cigar (Padron 1964 Anniversary), and catching up with some buddies, I made a midnight fuel run. The only open place I could find was a Wawa's ... Philadelphia and south Jersey folks will understand the joy:

Then it was back to the track for some rest. Rented a track-side suite for very reasonable cost. The hot shower and warm bed was welcome.

LanEvo
4/19/13 11:31 p.m.

Well, we didn't get very lucky with the weather. The day started off dry (for the most part) and overcast, but very cold. I wasn't going to get very useful data from the day as planned: it was just too cold to really optimize the suspension.

Still, we had fun. And despite the cold temps, the car had tons of grip. Handling was much more neutral than before. Looks like the new alignment settings made a world of difference:

Inevitably, it got wet. A cold rain started to fall and it turned a bit slushy:

I was really shocked at how controllable the car was under such adverse conditions. Can't wait to take it out in the dry!

LanEvo
6/13/13 6:07 a.m.

Some in-car footage from Tremblant last weekend: YouTube link

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/13/13 7:38 a.m.

I've always liked these cars.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/13 8:23 a.m.

Nice work.