1 ... 3 4 5 6
LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/24/15 2:36 p.m.

How did you like the car with DCOE's? I can't wait to hear how it sounds! Worried about drivability and tuning ... I'm new to carbs.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz New Reader
12/24/15 3:22 p.m.

It was great. The car sounded amazing with them. The decel noise was my absolute favorite.

Side draft carbs are great, but took me a while to get it going right because I was new to them as well.

Honestly I did not drive the car on them long as I had a lower chain rail blow up and sold the car to a guy that had a couple of them. The car was torn down whan I sold it.

Seeing yours made me wish I never sold mine.

LanEvo
1/4/16 5:34 p.m.

And so it begins...

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/anwarius/media/190e%2016v%20Project/Weber%20Hartmann/995A2B85-D575-4F74-B42B-F5C3B74C3710_zpspcdu7tqb.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/anwarius/media/190e%2016v%20Project/Weber%20Hartmann/AA6C5FC5-916A-4741-8FEF-21FBECC184DD_zps5oxqxf53.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/anwarius/media/190e%2016v%20Project/Weber%20Hartmann/65E9B89B-2C92-4179-8E6D-DBCD2E7507A5_zpsrn09yqxz.jpg.html][/URL]

LanEvo
1/27/16 3:19 a.m.

coming along...

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/anwarius/media/190e%2016v%20Project/Weber%20Hartmann/E617CCFB-424C-48DE-AD5D-173BC83E09A2_zps1rxpovqz.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/anwarius/media/190e%2016v%20Project/Weber%20Hartmann/50A642FE-9322-4292-AF66-E6B384E18BE5_zpsdgjtx3mq.jpg.html][/URL]

HunterBenz
HunterBenz New Reader
1/27/16 2:29 p.m.

Nice, looking good!

I had a CHP Officer try and give me a ticket for non-compliance with CARB with that exhaust manifold once. It took a bit of convincing. Then internet searches for him to believe me. Thanks for smartphones.

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 New Reader
1/30/16 12:01 p.m.
LanEvo wrote: That box is mostly CIS components. Can't wait to kill them with fire

This thread made me reconsider these cars, until I read this.... I own a CIS equipped car now and can relate. I will be watching the Weber conversion closely. Keep up the good work!

LanEvo
2/26/16 12:17 p.m.

More pieces to the puzzle...

Staring down the barrel(s)...

Trumpets...

OK, this one scares me a little bit...

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
2/27/16 10:40 a.m.

I love what you are doing with this. My Dad had a 16v 190 when I was a 16yo kid. Man I used to love when I got to drive it.

LanEvo
5/4/16 7:05 p.m.

Today was a big day:

And...we have a problem:

But I think we've got a solution. Stay tuned!

LanEvo
5/21/16 11:42 p.m.

Fixed the issue of interference between velocity stack and brake booster...

Switched to a single-diaphragm booster from a W201 8v...

Found a good spot for the billet oil filter housing and oil cooler adapter (both Earl's). Plenty of room for a bigger and better filter...

Larger capacity radiator (Behr) and oil cooler (Mishimoto)...

Everything is connected with Aeroquip fittings and "Startlite" hose. The Startlite Kevlar/Nomex hose isn't as blingy as regular braided steel hose, but it's lighter and stronger (unfortunately, it's also about twice the price)...

Just a few odds and ends left.

jsquared
jsquared HalfDork
5/22/16 2:42 p.m.

How was the Starlight hose to assemble compared to the stainless? I'm thinking about using that stuff for the oil cooler when it goes back on my STi.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
5/24/16 12:31 p.m.

Hmmm, how did I not see this before????

got a spare head? Any interest in port work for your next build???

LanEvo
6/1/16 9:09 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: got a spare head? Any interest in port work for your next build???

Yes to both questions...but I'm a little tapped out at the moment. Can't start another engine build this season. But eventually I'd like to build up another as a spare (possibly a 2.5 if I can import one from Europe for reasonable cost).

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/2/17 2:48 p.m.

So, I've come to the end of my 2017 racing season. I was hoping to run one last race at Watkins Glen this weekend, but the transmission isn't ready.

Here's a short recap of the summer. I raced at Mosport (1000 miles round trip), Calabogie (950 miles), Pittsburgh (775 miles), and NJMP (just 255 miles). I mention the distances because I'm still driving the car to and from events ... kind of a PITA with full race suspension and no interior, sound deadening, or HVAC system!

Two of the events were vintage races: the VARAC Canadian Vintage Grand Prix and the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. The other two events were BMW CCA Club Races that I was allowed to enter and run for points with special permission.

Got tired of the black and orange. Decided to change up the color scheme...

Here’s how the 16v looks these days...

Did OK for myself as a relatively new racer...

Here's how the car looks loaded up for a race weekend. A lot easier to manage when living in NYC compared to a trailer and tow rig.

Driving to and from events has a major disadvantage I hadn't considered. On the way to the very first event of the season, a hillbilly literally backed his pickup truck up and over the front of my car! I was stopped for gas and the guy "didn't see me." We were able to pull the fender and hood up off the tire so the car could roll again. Damn, these W201's are tanks!

Installed some hood pins to keep the deformed front end from coming apart...

Remember those gorgeous (IMNSHO) BBS wheels? Well, I bent not one but two of them at NJMP. Went a little wide in Corner 1 and dropped both driver's side wheels off the track. The transition caught the inner lips badly. Hope they're fixable!

Thanks to my main sponsor, Guten Parts...

My favorite shot! Wheel lift in corner 1 at Mosport, well into 4th gear...

Plans for next year. I'm switching from Hankook DOT-R tires to true slicks: picked up a brand-new set of Hoosier radial slicks for testing. The Hoosier folks say I shouldn't need to change my alignment settings, but I suspect I'll need more spring rate to go with the slicks. We'll see.

Finally, I've created a new FB page for the "Hammerzeit" race team. I'll be posting lots of pics, videos, and updates there: Team Hammerzeit

chandler
chandler PowerDork
10/2/17 3:27 p.m.

Sweet! Nice update

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
10/2/17 4:20 p.m.

Oh man, love the new livery! It looks so incredible. Thanks for the update!

LanEvo
10/2/17 5:02 p.m.
Mezzanine said:

Oh man, love the new livery! It looks so incredible. Thanks for the update!

Thanks! Black and GT3 orange was feeling a little played out to me. The baby blue is pretty ridiculous, but it’s more distinctive.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/3/17 11:17 a.m.

That's pretty impressive driving those distance in the race car to race! 

Adam

NorseDave
NorseDave New Reader
10/3/17 12:40 p.m.

Looks great in the blue!  Love reading your updates on the 190 - I picked one up last summer (8V), and have finally ticked off all the "desperately needed" maintenance items, so I can move on to more fun stuff.  Starting with the DC rallyx in two weeks.  

Interesting you went to carbs.  Mine's still on CIS and it runs great except for starting.  I've figured it out now, but I never have to worry about it being stolen - between the stick shift and the technique required to keep it running when cold, no way anyone will drive off.  However, I have been gradually amassing parts for a MS install.  Wiring diagram is done, just saving up for the damn proper crimp tools.  I've always wanted to do a standalone though, so standalone it is.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
10/3/17 2:05 p.m.
LanEvo said:

Thanks! Black and GT3 orange was feeling a little played out to me. The baby blue is pretty rediculous, but it’s more distinctive 

Ridiculous? No way! It's a race car - it's supposed to be a little loud! What diameter DCOEs are you running, and how have they been?

LanEvo
10/3/17 8:16 p.m.
Mezzanine said: What diameter DCOEs are you running, and how have they been?

They're 48 mm. Technically DCO/SP, not DCOE. These are a little simpler design without a choke. 

It took a long time to get them sorted, mostly due to trouble getting the fuel pressure just right. But now that it's all set up, they've been totally bulletproof. Starts up on the first twist of the key. Revs smoothly from idle to redline, with just the slightest flat-spot around 2k rpm. Sounds glorious, as you'd expect. 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
10/4/17 12:49 p.m.

Any videos from this season? I'd love to hear it run and see a few laps.

1morebenz
1morebenz
2/19/18 8:30 a.m.

This build is amazing!

I have so many questions about this build!

How did you enjoy Calabogie Motorsports Park?

sva50233
sva50233
5/12/18 11:18 p.m.

LanEvo, what would you say the insured value of your car is in its current state?

LanEvo
5/26/18 2:15 p.m.
1morebenz said:

This build is amazing! I have so many questions about this build!

How did you enjoy Calabogie Motorsports Park?

Thanks! Feel free to ask anything. Calabogie is always fun, but it’s a very long track and generally not very well attended. That means cars space out pretty quickly, so it feels less like a race and more like hot lapping. Mosport and Tremblant are more fun IMNSHO.

Mezzanine said:

Any videos from this season? I'd love to hear it run and see a few laps.

I actually had lots of trouble with my old GoPros and lost a lot of footage. Will see what I can scrounge up.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jhCAAf6GitKdiFNrxe0J18OsRf1D5s1hof8wOVLhNx3mQNbPhw52hyXhVteYduWI