1 2 3 4
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/17/12 2:36 p.m.

Maybe... it'd take a bit of wiring diagram research to see where things split off.

I just remember a car I had where the fan control died, so I'd turn the fan on manually by turning the A/C on.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
12/3/12 7:47 a.m.

I meant to ask around turkey day, but with so much tryptophan I forgot. Were you driving up Southfield road in the Southfield/Lathrup/Beverly hills area a day or two before Thanksgiving? I have never seen a 405 Mi16 in this country before and until this car popped up here I had no idea they were sold in the US. But a day or two after I got the SAAB I saw one driving in the opposite direction heading North on Southfield road. IT must have been 20th or 21st I think. I mentioned to my wife that I had briefly considered it when the for sale add came up, and contrary my expected response from her she asked me why I didn’t get it!!! I said I’d just bought a 25 year old car from a company that no longer exists, but a car they sold about 2 ½ of 25 years ago with no parts available in this country scared the crap out of me.

The reason I ask is the chance of 2 different identical version of an obscure French car car pooping up within a few days of each other, one in Ohio and the other in Michigan seems beyond statistical probability. Having said that the chances of a 25 year old French car making it from Ohio to SE MI also seems beyond the realms of statistical probability!!!

So, any updates?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/3/12 10:44 a.m.

Wasn't me, I haven't driven mine more than 30 miles from home yet.

They imported around 5000 Mi16s so there should be at least 2 left on the road.

Not many updates, it is my final week of college and I have quite a bit of work to do, along with working 35 hours this week. I have new strut mounts but they will have to wait to be put on.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
12/3/12 10:48 a.m.

There is a really nice one in Columbus that has been out to cars and coffee a couple times; I talked to the guy and he has a Toyota crown also...

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/3/12 11:55 a.m.

Back when I was in the Alfa Club there was a younger guy in the club that had one.

EvanB
12/11/12 5:50 p.m.

Finally got a chance to start on the strut mounts today. I accidentally pulled the axle out of the trans while attempting to remove the strut so all the fluid escaped to the floor. After that I proceeded to spin the shaft out of the strut using the impact gun on the top nut.

I hate struts.

chuckles
chuckles Reader
12/14/12 3:53 p.m.

It really looks good. We had a 504. Are the seats all Peugeot-wonderful?

EvanB
12/14/12 3:55 p.m.

The seats are fantastic.

I would love a 504 or 505 someday.

EvanB
12/21/12 2:45 p.m.

These finally showed up today, time to get this car back on the road.

EvanB
12/24/12 8:53 p.m.

Got the struts and top mounts on today. The front end still feels terrible. The LCA bushings are shot. I haven't decided yet if I want to spend the $90 and fight with installing them or just drive it as is for now. I also noticed while changing the struts that the steering rack boots are totally disintegrated, only a few scraps left.

EvanB
1/7/13 2:53 p.m.

Someone hit the front left corner of the car last night while I was parked on the mean streets of Columbus. The only damage was the turn signal lens but now I have to find a replacement.

The good news is that it drives great on the highway.

EvanB
1/11/13 3:10 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: How does the car weigh?

Just got back from taking a load of scrap to the recyclers. On the scale with me (170lbs) in the car and a full tank of gas it read 2660lbs.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/11/13 4:01 p.m.

This car is amazing!

EvanB
1/14/13 3:31 p.m.

Decided I needed some fog/driving lights. Of course there is only one brand that is right for the Peugeot:

One is a yellow fog lens and one is a clear driving lens. I would prefer two yellow lenses but these were cheap and should do for now.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/13 3:33 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Decided I needed some fog/driving lights. Of course there is only one brand that is right for the Peugeot: One is a yellow fog lens and one is a clear driving lens. I would prefer two yellow lenses but these were cheap and should do for now.

Mind measuring dimensions of those things for me? I never thought of looking for old stuff for my MX6...

How do they mount and adjust?

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/14/13 3:33 p.m.

^Now those are period correct! I like the asymmetrical look actually.

EvanB
1/14/13 3:41 p.m.

Dimensions are 6"x3.5". They have one mounting post that swivels to adjust and locks when you tighten it down.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/13 3:51 p.m.

Dammit, those are a little too big methinks.

But that style mounting holds rock solid once it's adjusted and tightened down? I'm looking for creative/cool things to replace my horribad Harbor Freight lights with. The light output is good, the look is right, but they won't hold still, dammit.

EvanB
1/14/13 3:54 p.m.

No idea how they hold, this is the first time I have ever got around to purchasing some for a car.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/13 3:55 p.m.

Install them and then let me know, fool!

EvanB
1/14/13 3:59 p.m.

But it's cold out.

Once I have a chance to get them on I will report back.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
1/14/13 5:22 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

sissy, now get back out there!

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
1/14/13 9:26 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Dammit, those are a little too big methinks. But that style mounting holds rock solid once it's adjusted and tightened down? I'm looking for creative/cool things to replace my horribad Harbor Freight lights with. The light output is good, the look is right, but they won't hold still, dammit.

Keep an eyeball out on fleabay/at the 'yards for BMW E30/Saab C900(same light, different housing) OE Bosch, or Fox Mustang/Capri/LSC OE Marchals. Same size and shape, decent output, glass lenses, and I believe the Marchals have a steel body.

E30/C900:

Fox Marchals:

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/14/13 10:48 p.m.

What I have now looks exactly like the e30s, I just need a good mounting system.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
1/23/13 7:00 p.m.

I owned a 1991 model.... yes 405 Mi16

things I hated...

oil changes.... there is so little room to get the filter out...

distributor caps... (yes 3! - stranding me 2 times)

I learned in that car that I truly don't like cars that alienate the driver from their surroundings...

Oh... be careful... the radiator support is not metal... but a pressed plastic.... it shatters on occasion when medium chunks of debris make contact with it

I bought mine right after I sold my restored 1970 Mach1... I thought I wanted a mature ride for a change....... I owned it for a little over a year, sold it and moved on.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i2eOp82lHOROhHWCy7e6XZUIVdGOMRoggO7D6zXicUqAUhcAPJc1wlt4cQCafoM7