1 2 3
edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
5/18/16 12:03 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I'm not even sure that your truck HAS a kick down cable.

This^. TH400's use a vacuum reference not cable

Coldsnap wrote: The transmission wonkyness is sort of beyond me.. can't figure it out. Dusterbd13 saw it. It's just real reluctant to shift, it will shift around 30-40mph with lots of rpm and sort of kick into the shift. Sometimes when I come to a stop after that at a light, I feel like it doesn't even downshift. It gets worse after driving it around for 40+ minutes. I do know that the torque converter is allowing the transmissions fluid to drain back into the transmission pan, but I don't think this is related.

this sounds alot like my friend old 3/4 ton chevy that had a TH400 as well. It had a hole melted in the vacuum reference line going to the transmission from it laying on the exhaust. This basically makes the transmission think that the engine is at WOT (no vacuum) all the time causing it to shift at high RPM even under low throttle and hammer shift every gear. I would check/replace that vacuum line.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/18/16 12:19 p.m.

ah, fun. will crawl under and inspect that.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/27/16 11:34 a.m.

Ugh being a shade tree mechanic sucks. Only place I have to park it is on a 3 lane street with no parking lane, so cars going by 50 MPH. I live in a rough part of town too so lots of people riding dirty. Thought I was going to be ended about 5 times now. There's like 100 things I'd like to get through on the truck but just can't.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
5/27/16 11:56 a.m.

bring a 6-pack to a friend with a nicer driveway/garage?

Find an empty parking lot?

dropstep
dropstep Dork
5/27/16 12:16 p.m.

Ask the local parts store to use there lot. Ive never went full roadkill but ive changed alot of parts in the advanced auto lot before i had a garage.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/27/16 12:23 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

I work at one, nobody ever asks, they just do.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
5/27/16 12:32 p.m.

I've gone roadkill in many areas parts store parking lot. O'reilly will usually be the most friendly.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
5/27/16 12:37 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: In reply to dropstep: I work at one, nobody ever asks, they just do.

Ahh im one of those weird people who asks. Ended up really good friends with a guy who used too work there.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/27/16 12:44 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

The best one I've seen so far was the dude that took one of the brake calipers off of his truck in the parking lot, brought it in to get a new one, only to find out we didn't have one in stock.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
5/27/16 12:47 p.m.

I now work at the local parts store. That happens more often than you would really care to think about.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
5/27/16 1:33 p.m.

Haha. Wow.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QYJ5Up3pVrL1NZK5OwxO5qqGarbHwk6pGYv5xidBFqZmxICGgqU5tvaTwFawaIZi