Yeet label is my favorite. 

rustomatic
rustomatic New Reader
7/15/20 11:15 a.m.

That is super-nice work, dude!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/20 4:28 p.m.

I got the title and registration in the mail today. Plates should be here within a week or so.  I do have one wiring question. Should I ground the body to the chassis? Is there any reason not to run a couple ground straps between the cab and frame?

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/20 5:14 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

I got the title and registration in the mail today. Plates should be here within a week or so.  I do have one wiring question. Should I ground the body to the chassis? Is there any reason not to run a couple ground straps between the cab and frame?

When in doubt. Add a ground.

RacetruckRon
7/15/20 6:27 p.m.

Update: the motor turns over!!!!!

Going to work on wiring routing tonight, and try to get the ECU powered up.

I also need to add an extra quart of oil to the motor, I dumped a 5 quart jug in it and the batwing pan holds 6-6.5qts.

RacetruckRon
7/15/20 6:54 p.m.

Berk this I want to fire it. Going weapons hot in 5. 

I'll make it pretty later. I want to set up the ECU. I'm this close after all.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/15/20 6:57 p.m.

Oooooh! I'm excited!!!

RacetruckRon
7/15/20 7:36 p.m.

It runs!!!!

Poorly though. I couldn't get a video of it running. It was very stumbly. The battery was low to begin with and I forgot to connect the alternator to the battery.  I threw the charger on it but I need to make a cable to from the positive terminal to the alternator.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
7/15/20 8:13 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
7/15/20 8:20 p.m.

I got a rush of adrenaline, pumped for you!

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
7/15/20 8:45 p.m.

This is exciting!

RacetruckRon
7/15/20 10:33 p.m.

I just discovered that I neglected to ground the fuel pump. Fixed that, added a cable between the alt and battery, battery is trickle charging now and I'm going to mess with the injector data because the Holley didn't have a good match for the GTP injectors I have in my intake.

Real start up tomorrow. I don't want to give the old lady nextdoor a heart attack.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/20 7:32 a.m.

holding my breath...

RacetruckRon
7/16/20 2:02 p.m.

Not the first start but the first one I filmed. It is a lot louder in person.

10001110101 New Reader
7/16/20 2:16 p.m.

That is absolutely berkeleying ridiculous in all the right ways. Did I miss your plans for the dash? 

Congrats on getting it up and running. Can't wait to see it on the street.

java230
java230 UberDork
7/16/20 2:18 p.m.

So. Much. win! 

RacetruckRon
7/16/20 2:21 p.m.

In reply to 10001110101 :

Stock dashpad is going back in.  A good friend of mine is well versed in CAN protocols so we are going to try and make a RaspberryPi touchscreen dash work with the Holley CAN. If that doesn't work out I'm going to put some random analog gauges in it.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
7/16/20 2:51 p.m.

Oh. Those are not sounds one would naturally expect from a Dodge Ram 50.I love this build, and I'm happy that your wiring adventure appears to have gone smoothly. 

RacetruckRon
7/16/20 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

It's unconventional to say the least haha. I'm so happy that it's running well with good oil pressure and minimal leaks.

rustomatic
rustomatic New Reader
7/16/20 4:28 p.m.

Congrats on that step!  It's cam-tastic!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/16/20 5:02 p.m.

Man, hell yeah!!! Sounds good! And ought to be a rejuvenating experience. 

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/16/20 5:23 p.m.

RacetruckRon
7/19/20 6:19 p.m.

Small update, learning a lot of little things about building cars in this stage.  My alternator was not charging the battery and I could not figure out why. I learned that an exciter wire is a thing.  The GM 4 pin alternators need somewhere in the neighborhood of 470-560ohms (depending on which LS1tech thread you read) between the exciter pin and the +12V feed.  I didn't have any resistors that size but I did have some 1.1kohm resistors, twisted two of those together in parallel and voila 550ohms of resistance. Plugged that in and cranked it over, 14.2 volts at idle, perfect.

I've been learning the little odds and ends of the Holley tuning software and have made a few tweaks to the fuel and timing maps.  It idles pretty well and revs without too much hesitation.  I let it idle up to 210F on the coolant temp and then turned the fan on.  The fan pulled it down to 190F in a couple minutes and held it there in today's 85F heat.  I really need to get it ready for the streets and drive it around so the ECU can learn more of the fuel map with an actual load on the engine.  At this point I am more worried about the suspension and brakes on the maiden voyage than I am of the engine.  This engine allegedly had low oil pressure at cold idle, 10psi or less the PO said.  I put a new, standard Melling oil pump, pickup o-ring, diverter valve and lifters in this engine and I am seeing 35psi of oil pressure at 750rpm idle.  

The current to do list before road test is:

• Lights and signals wiring
  • Finish seat mounting
  • Sound deadening
  • Clean up and organize wiring
  • Reinstall dash pad
  • PS fluid
  • Diff fluid
  • Bleed brakes
  • Bleed Clutch
  • Burp cooling system
  • Reinstall bed