1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
t25torx
t25torx New Reader
5/31/13 10:38 a.m.

Any luck getting this thing moving? Pretty interested to see where this one is going.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/2/13 9:04 p.m.
Pbw wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: ah. mine had a bleeder on the slave. (s10. assumed firebirds are the same....) so how would you bleed without a bleeder?
YouTube training video on this topic

Excellent video!

Gearheadotaku
6/2/13 9:09 p.m.
t25torx wrote: Any luck getting this thing moving? Pretty interested to see where this one is going.

It's going no where fast

I have found the root of the issue. When installing the trans, the last 1/2 inch is very hard to push in. This is because the clutch fingers are being compressed, just like when you push in the pedal. Obviously this is incorrect. The bellhousing, flywheel, input shaft, clutch assembly, and retainer sleeve have all been confirmed as correct. Still can't figure out the problem.

Gearheadotaku
6/2/13 9:14 p.m.
crankwalk wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote: system came pre-bled
???

Yes, it really did. The slave, master, res, and hoses and assembled and bled before packaging. The res does not have an allowance for air so no bubbles can form or move. This is a new GM part.

You can buy systems like this in the aftermarket for Saturns too. (Got one at Advance auto last year) Not sure how many applications are available like this, but it sure is handy!

t25torx
t25torx New Reader
6/3/13 9:26 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote:
t25torx wrote: Any luck getting this thing moving? Pretty interested to see where this one is going.
It's going no where fast I have found the root of the issue. When installing the trans, the last 1/2 inch is very hard to push in. This is because the clutch fingers are being compressed, just like when you push in the pedal. Obviously this is incorrect. The bellhousing, flywheel, input shaft, clutch assembly, and retainer sleeve have all been confirmed as correct. Still can't figure out the problem.

That sucks dude, I have a factory T5 in my Camaro mated to the 305 like yours so if you need me to take pics or anything let me know. I thinks it's been suggested, but any chance the throwout bearing is incorrect or that the throwout arm is bent out of shape, causing it to contact the pressure plate fingers?

Gearheadotaku
6/3/13 10:42 p.m.

arm seems ok, bearing matched old one. What year Camaro do you have?

t25torx
t25torx New Reader
6/4/13 10:25 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: arm seems ok, bearing matched old one. What year Camaro do you have?

It's a 1991 RS. You can see the fun I'm having with mine over here.

Gearheadotaku
6/7/13 7:49 a.m.

FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!

Wrong flywheel. I finally pulled it off the car and went looking for part numbers on it.

When I bought the flywheel it was sold to me as "1 piece rear main flywheel for small block Chevy. Yes, it came out of a Camaro." Good 'ol Craigslist.....

I didn't have an old one to compare it to (remember, I'm doing an auto to manual conversion) and it looked like the one in the pictures I'd seen. That's why I was so convinced it was correct.

Too bad that Camaro was an LT1 car. The flywheels look nearly the same if viewed from directly above, and this is how they are pictured in the catalogs. From the side, the LT1 is taller. It bolts up fine and the clutch fits, but it sure doesn't work!

Thanks for the ideas everyone, should have it together and burning rubber this weekend!

t25torx
t25torx Reader
6/7/13 7:52 a.m.

Awesome dude! Glad to see you got it figured out.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
6/7/13 11:20 a.m.

That is great. Nothing better than finally figuring out something like that and getting your car back together.

On a side note I might be needing an LT1 flywheel for the LT1 T56 install I have planned for my 78 Firebird Esprit.

Gearheadotaku
6/7/13 2:03 p.m.

$50 + shipping, that's what I paid.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
6/7/13 5:38 p.m.

You'll be required to provide a big smoky burnout photo after fire up and assembly

Gearheadotaku
6/7/13 10:10 p.m.

Road test successful!!

Really need to change the rear gear now. 2.73 is a dog and easy to stall. 5th gear is useless below 65mph. Throw out bearing is squeaky, hopefully it will break in and shut up. Still need to find a proper VSS and wire up the back up lights. Also need to do some wiring for the old auto shifter.

Smokey burn out may have to wait a bit, but I certainly want to.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/8/13 7:23 a.m.

Awesome job. I dont know if I would have thought the flywheel was wrong for a long time.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
6/8/13 7:37 a.m.

Glad you found resolution.

Gearheadotaku
6/16/13 2:08 p.m.

now that its running, I can put the inside back together. I re-covered the headliner and installed the correct center console. Still need to mount the radio correctly, and fix the drivers seat.

up next, why does it pull hard right under braking? new pads, resurfaced rotors, new shoes and resurfaced drums. Tried a new left caliper but that didn't fix it. Systems been bleed completely. Bunch of brake fluid puked out from under the cover for some reason.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
6/18/13 8:32 a.m.

pontiac grand am seats are the same, except for the tracks. but the firebird tracks bolt right to the seat.

also, s10 buckets do as well.

Gearheadotaku
6/19/13 9:53 p.m.

pair of new hoses fixed the brakes, on to the next thing!

Gearheadotaku
7/6/13 9:56 a.m.

After a couple weeks of driving, it seems sorted out mechanically. Until the mods start that is Time to fix the cosmetic stuff.

The inside has come together, ditched the airbag wheel for a regular one, and mounted the radio properly. Used seat cover is in the mail for the drivers cushion.

Took the front bumper off and sent it out for repair. The brackets and so forth weren't too bad underneath. A little hammering, twisting and cursing got everything back into 'close enough' shape.

Found a Formula hood for $50, started to prep it for paint.

Stay tuned!

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/7/13 7:50 p.m.

Cool

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
7/8/13 11:26 a.m.

This really makes me miss my childhood days of growing up in North NJ. All of my older siblings had friends with these or Camaros (and some fox body stangs). Makes me want to consider one of these instead of my 944. Good work!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/8/13 12:14 p.m.

Good work! The interior looks great!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 New Reader
7/15/13 12:38 a.m.

Looks good. After seeing your nice seats, it makes me wish I had some $$ for some new racing seats

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/15/13 12:31 p.m.

while waiting for the bumper to come back, I installed the 9 bolt axle from the parts car. Car runs much better with the 3.23 vs. the 2.73 it had with the auto trans. It also brought along disc brakes and a posi! (both of which need work to function properly.)

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/18/13 12:20 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: Looks good. After seeing your nice seats, it makes me wish I had some $$ for some new racing seats

The backs of the seats are nice, the part you actually park your butt on, not so much.

Used cover arrived, it's the wrong one. My powers of observation failed when I bought it..

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bWgg75OkT00W1X80VRZMivChARu6puAogwgSWI71CcWToavtsHRJNnsyqwdXp9ZM