1 2 3 4 ... 26
teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
11/28/12 11:12 a.m.

Sorry, I see most of the pictures are now missing. I have them hosted on Facebook but FB seem to have changed some of the URLs. Thanks guys. Any way. you can still see them by liking our FB page https://www.facebook.com/TeamIlluminataMotorsport?ref=hl. If you want to just read you still can and later pictures are still there. If you keep reading you'll see how we went from this:

to this:

Enjoy

Woke up to a nice shiny (not) new car in my drive. Time to check it over and take it for a test drive.

Uh oh! Everything was looking good till we took a 90 right at a light. There was a loud BANG from the rear. We pulled over and found the rear suspension collapsed! The left a little more than the right. Great. Now I have another broken car.

We only put 3 miles on it before this happened and were going really slow the whole way .

What do you think, broke a torsion bar?

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/12 11:14 a.m.

YO, DAT E36 M3 LOOKS HOTTT...

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
11/28/12 11:49 a.m.

Could this have been a contributing factor?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
11/28/12 12:40 p.m.

Transport company owes you some $$'s me thinks. What has snapped?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
11/28/12 1:07 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Transport company owes you some $$'s me thinks. What has snapped?

Seriously? Do you think this may be the cause. Do know what let go yet but I suspect the left rear torsion bar or something related to that. Car is on the drive 20 minutes drive from my shop. if I take it there I can't get home. So having another cup of tea.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/28/12 2:32 p.m.

I can't see the photos at all...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/12 3:11 p.m.

And the fun begins! Man, that sucks. Hopefully it can be fixed cheap/quick!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
11/28/12 4:49 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: I can't see the photos at all...

reallly? can anyone else not see them?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/28/12 4:51 p.m.
teamilluminata wrote:

I see them ok

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
11/28/12 5:09 p.m.

My guess is that it was something expensive that broke. Just a hunch. Hope I'm wrong. The fact that both sides went down is........probably not good.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
11/28/12 5:15 p.m.

Didn't expect to be doing this today :(

Disconnected the rear anti roll bar and I can move the left rear wheel up with little resistance. Can't move the right side so left torsion bar must be broken or out of its socket.

Left side is green end. Right side has a cap on it. Does this look right?

I guess it's still safe to drive till September 13th, at least in Virginia.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/28/12 11:20 p.m.
teamilluminata wrote:

Is that blood?

I have no idea what to do with torsion bars so I can't be of any help. I haven't inspected the rear of my Peugeot yet and that is the first car I have had with them.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
11/29/12 9:50 a.m.

Off to Pelican parts forum for advice, but I doubt the shipper could have damaged the torsion bar.

Still, cheer up old chap, come have a beer with a fellow Brit and some colonists in Royal Oak tonight if you’re still interested. Here’s the thread for the Bastone meet. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/new-to-mi-new-to-grm-forum/56928/page7/

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/29/12 11:26 a.m.
logdog wrote:
teamilluminata wrote:
I see them ok

If they are hosted via facebook and linked to here its one of the few sites at work that does not let through :(

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
11/29/12 12:52 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: If they are hosted via facebook and linked to here its one of the few sites at work that does not let through :(

I see them ok here at work as well and in the past everything FB-related has been blocked here.

Neat build. Jealous. Count me in the "curious about the purchase price" group.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/12 1:23 p.m.

It's not hard to tell the purchase price, the listing is still on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-Porsche-911-Carrera-Coupe-2-Door-3-2L-/330825530119?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d06bcfb07

I'm really looking forward to seeing this car get built up. Shame about the suspension, I hope that's an easy fix. If Bill was in the office, I could ask him (he ran a Porsche repair shop when that car was new) but he's away until next week.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
11/29/12 3:44 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Off to Pelican parts forum for advice, but I doubt the shipper could have damaged the torsion bar. Still, cheer up old chap, come have a beer with a fellow Brit and some colonists in Royal Oak tonight if you’re still interested. Here’s the thread for the Bastone meet. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/new-to-mi-new-to-grm-forum/56928/page7/

Can't make it Adrian. I'm off to Dearborn to see a man about a dog ;)

or, in American English, some torsion bars,

Have fun.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
11/29/12 4:29 p.m.

Success! My car no longer has a broken rear torsion bar (in it).

That torsion bar be broken. It broke at the inner splines. You can see where the crack began and propagated out in a spiral. Very impressive.

That's the broken end still in the torsion tube. I guess I'm supposed to bash it out from the other side once I remove the other bar. No rust or anything. I would even say "pristine"

Used my fancy iPhone angle find app to determine the inclination of the non broken torsion plate. 34.8*. Is that correct?

The good torsion bar. Ready to be pulled. I think I am now one with this car :) Green on the left, blue on the right. Is this significant?

Lets twist again, like we did last...........oh, never mind.

Couple of zip ties, JB Weld and some duct tape and it'll be good as new. (Its'a rally thing)

Now I'm off to Dearborn to pick up some used torsion bars in case the rally-fix doesn't work. Ford ones will work right? But first I think I've earned a nice cup of tea.

Tomorrow we slap it back together. Saturday we figure out how to work the radio.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/12 4:30 p.m.

Excellent, that's a relatively low-effort fix.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
11/29/12 4:35 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
logdog wrote:
teamilluminata wrote:
I see them ok
If they are hosted via facebook and linked to here its one of the few sites at work that does not let through :(

That's it. You need a new job Kevin.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
11/29/12 4:41 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Excellent, that's a relatively low-effort fix.

Thanks. So far so good. I hope it all goes back together as easily.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
11/29/12 5:06 p.m.

That was absolutely the best case scenario. I've been a bit terrified for you on my end thinking that it might be a problem with the mount instead of the bar. Excited to watch the car come together.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/1/12 10:08 a.m.

I picked up some local used torsion bars and slapped the thing back together yesterday. I also took the opportunity to lift it a bit, maybe a bit too much. Ended up with 28" to top of fender in the rear. 27.7 in the front. That's about 2-3 inch lift. God knows what my alignment numbers are but it drives OK.

I made a funky tool for the camber and caster adjusters. One ratcheting wrench, one bolt and two nuts. Worked great.

Reversing lights work. Car settled 1/2" after a few test miles. I think I want to raise the front a little more yet.

I didn't get a baseline height for the rear as it collapsed but in this picture it looks quite high already. Stock height do you think?

We also removed the front chin spoiler before it gets torn off. It's for sale ;)

Found these on the door step when I got home.

Oh my. Maybe these and some rally tires will make the lift seem less silly.

And 12mm spacers for the rear. This way we can run the same spec wheels all round.

Now I can get back to the important stuff like the radio.

Winston
Winston Reader
12/1/12 11:19 a.m.

Agreed on raising the front. The rear looks perfect.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/1/12 11:59 a.m.

This is the second time I have seen it and I really prefer the "removed rocker covers" look.

1 2 3 4 ... 26

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YHp8V4gJXnwmwr2L4lfBlVYtt2k4L6Aopnje0JwspBIGv5z6mPqQ6TPN25AcQcqn