1 2 3 4 5 ... 26
teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/1/12 1:13 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: This is the second time I have seen it and I really prefer the "removed rocker covers" look.

Me too but they have to go back on I'm afraid. I just removed them to access the torsion bar holes but for the classes we are running in I can't be removing stuff like this.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/12 3:04 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: This is the second time I have seen it and I really prefer the "removed rocker covers" look.

The problem is that you can end up exposing oil lines, with potentially expensive consequences.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/1/12 8:47 p.m.
teamilluminata wrote:
Me too but they have to go back on I'm afraid. I just removed them to access the torsion bar holes but for the classes we are running in I can't be removing stuff like this.

I've run with the Detroit region before (extensively... I'm sure we've met... ) , and I don't remember them being such sticklers for the rules. Are you planning on running at nationals? Might be fun!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/1/12 9:00 p.m.
Woody wrote:
The problem is that you can end up exposing oil lines, with potentially expensive consequences.

I just poked my head under mine and the oil lines seem noticeably lower than the rocker covers. Good news for me!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/2/12 1:22 a.m.
teamilluminata wrote:

Just run in MR, it's where the fun is.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/2/12 5:36 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
teamilluminata wrote:
I've run with the Detroit region before (extensively... I'm sure we've met... ) , and I don't remember them being such sticklers for the rules. Are you planning on running at nationals? Might be fun!

They're not but we ae also planning to do some autocrosses and they can be a bit more particular, plus, I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/2/12 5:37 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
teamilluminata wrote:
Just run in MR, it's where the fun is.

"Wheel" get to MR eventually, probable 2014 though.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/4/12 9:50 a.m.

New boots going on last night.

We lifted the front another 1/2" yesterday so now we are are at 27.5" front and rear. I measured available suspension droop at 2-3 inches.

We also replaced a sealed beam headlight and the wipers and put the rockers back on. Next we'll try and get baseline weight and dyno pull and find some longer wheel studs so we can run the 12mm spacers in the rear. It really needs them.

I drove it home from the shop last night. Handling with the 195/65 Winterforce snow tires is, er, interesting to say the least. Maybe an alignment will help.

Woody
12/4/12 10:04 a.m.

Looks good.

Any interest in selling the Fuchs wheels?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/4/12 10:27 a.m.
Woody wrote: Looks good. Any interest in selling the Fuchs wheels?

Thanks.

Yes, much interest. The wheels are very nice: 6 and 7x16,+35 and +23 offsets, polished, original, in VGC. Tires are Michelin VXGT or something all season with half to 3/4 tread. I can take pictures and specs on the tires next time I'm at the shop.

Make me an offer.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
12/4/12 11:17 a.m.
teamilluminata wrote: I drove it home from the shop last night. Handling with the 195/65 Winterforce snow tires is, er, interesting to say the least. Maybe an alignment will help.

I drove into town to get lunch at the last rallycross on my winterforces. I thought I was going to die.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
12/4/12 11:38 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
teamilluminata wrote: I drove it home from the shop last night. Handling with the 195/65 Winterforce snow tires is, er, interesting to say the least. Maybe an alignment will help.
I drove into town to get lunch at the last rallycross on my winterforces. I thought I was going to die.

What road conditions? Aren't these things menat to be winter tires. If it's below 40F shouldn't they be fine for road use?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
12/4/12 11:38 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:

I run Winterforces as my winter tires on the MX6. 195/60-15. It's been utterly horrifying the few times i've had to use them so far.

Adrian_Thompson
12/4/12 11:52 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
mazdeuce wrote:
I run Winterforces as my winter tires on the MX6. 195/60-15. It's been utterly horrifying the few times i've had to use them so far.

Was that summer or winter??? I'm getting concerned. Once my car is running I was thinking of getting winterforce as a duel rallycross and winter street tire, but if they're that bad maybe I should find something else.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/4/12 11:56 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
mazdeuce wrote:
Was that summer or winter??? I'm getting concerned. Once my car is running I was thinking of getting winterforce as a duel rallycross and winter street tire, but if they're that bad maybe I should find something else.

Fall, mostly. It hasn't been COLD, but it's been below 50.

I'm thinking the heat is the problem more than anything, and the fact that i'm going from 245/45-16 tires to 195/60-15s on a car that makes over 300whp and has a very stiff suspension.

I believe MazdaDuece also uses his strictly for rallycross. He lives in Texas, doesn't need winter tires, so i'd imagine his experiences have been in hot as well.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/4/12 12:01 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
mazdeuce wrote:

I've ran them year round on my Cherokee:

and found them acceptable, surprisingly acceptable. I've also run them on the Outback

but probably only in the cooler months and didn't notice too much squirminess but on the Porsche they felt very squirmy. Some of this may be due to lifting the car two inches and not checking the alignment yet.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/4/12 12:10 p.m.

Holy CRAP!!!! Build thread on the Jeep?!?!?!?!?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/4/12 12:42 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Holy CRAP!!!! Build thread on the Jeep?!?!?!?!?

Half way down this page there's some links to build threads:

http://www.teamilluminata.com/cars/jeep/jeep.htm

don't get too excited.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
12/4/12 4:32 p.m.

I ran Winterforces all summer, they're not horrible if you don't drive like your commute is the Gumball.

Methinks your twitchyness is lack of proper alignment and rear track width. That, and someone stuck the engine in the wrong end of the car.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
12/4/12 4:59 p.m.

Yea, well, it was sunny, 80 degrees and the tires were at 44lbs fresh off course. Couple that with -2 degrees of camber and barely measurable toe in and it wasn't unexpected that the car felt the way it did. I expect that if you changed temperature, pressure and alignment then they would feel much much better. I still felt like I was going to die.
I love them so so much on dirt though.

Woody
12/4/12 5:47 p.m.
teamilluminata wrote:
Woody wrote: Looks good. Any interest in selling the Fuchs wheels?
Thanks. Yes, much interest. The wheels are very nice: 6 and 7x16,+35 and +23 offsets, polished, original, in VGC. Tires are Michelin VXGT or something all season with half to 3/4 tread. I can take pictures and specs on the tires next time I'm at the shop. Make me an offer.

Damn. Thought they were 8x16 in the rear and I don't need the tires. If you decide to sell just the wheels, let me know.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/4/12 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Yes, I'll sell just the wheels. not much value in the tires IMHO.

Adrian_Thompson
12/5/12 10:33 a.m.

When did the Jeep get sold? I thought you had both the truck and the Van at SnoDrift.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/5/12 10:55 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: When did the Jeep get sold? I thought you had both the truck and the Van at SnoDrift.

A couple of months ago now. Still miss it.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/6/12 7:42 a.m.

Not much action yesterday though the State of Michigan fully endorses the project now.

Sorry about the untidy rear. The car was backed into a trailer at some point resulting the the above damage. It got a new engine cover as a result. The remaining damage is not visible with the Porsche plate on but, because of the distortion it wont stay on so I took it till I can devise a fix.

These showed up yesterday. They're not for me but I sure am tempted. We still have to figure out our autocross and track day setup but are leaning to these BRAID replicas in 16x7 and 16x8 shod with Dunlop Direzzas 205 and 225. Of course, ours might be white!

We scored some proper rally snow tires; Yokohama A034. Can you imagine how squirmy these would be on tarmac?

What's this for? One on the left and one on the right, just behind the front wheels.

No windshield washers! I added washer fluid and it poured straight onto the floor! Found the pump and bottle but the pipe from the filler is missing. Sorta strange. Pump works though. Today I'll investigate the bottle which is sort of loose.

Apart from the above major triumphs we did suffer one setback yesterday: I was adjusting the engine cover latch as it wasn't quite latching. Now it wont unlatch. DOH! Any suggestions how to get it open? I'm sure I'll have to get in there sooner or later.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 26

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cj6X9aKLZpKsimakl6DOklB27DM7qKksF9WpweD69OuPucrKX1LhxmNMOjDBUOC6