1 2 3 ... 7
surfshibby07
surfshibby07 None
7/7/19 10:50 p.m.

Well i wasnt aware until now that i should have or it was "tradition"  to tag my car and post a build thread. so here goes. 

92 Mustang LX i picked up a month or so ago, well before i even knew i was going to be doing this challenge. car came with some good parts but ran like cow dung. currently swapping heads and intake with extras provided and getting a lot of stuff for cheap. should be a fun project. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/7/19 10:57 p.m.

95 gt i picked up as a parts car for a few hundred bucks. will be using the saleen rear wheels, the rear end, and the front spindles for a 5 lug swap on the fox. unneccessary but it opened up a lot more wheel choices. plus the rear end was a smidge wider so i could run a hair wider wheel/tire combo.

Error404
Error404 New Reader
7/7/19 11:05 p.m.

GT40 heads? Or did you get lucky with the parts and score some GT40P?

You're doing The Challenge with this car? What, if anything, are you planning for the rear end? (nvm, you uploaded your parts car while I was typing. good find!)

(Wow, nothing but questions smh)

I'm curious to see how this thread turns out.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/7/19 11:05 p.m.

Here is a link to the first episode of who knows how many i will make documenting the build and sharing my budget etc. no secrets here, and figured it would help keep me honest and anyone from doubting the build.

https://youtu.be/j1trrN9mx30

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/7/19 11:13 p.m.

In reply to Error404 :

I got really lucky as i got trickflow heads and intake. its debatable which intake performs better (the trickflow or the edelbrock performer already on the car) but i like the trickflow look way better. and ill recoup good money for the edelbrock. it did have an f cam in it. but mismatched injectors and maf. a nasty coolant leak, and a few other loose ends that made it enough for him to get rid of cheap and me to get very lucky.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/7/19 11:42 p.m.

here are some more pics i have. so far i have the top end tore down. getting ready to throw it back together this week. also a pic of the interior. hoping to clear the air on the rules whether i need a cage or not in a hardtop car thats faster than 13.49. from my experience i shouldnt unless im faster than 10.0 which i wont be. but i do have a nitrous kit for the car and with the upgraded heads and intake it should go pretty close to a 10.9x but i dont want to waste the money on material for a cage if i dont have to. if i definitely dont need it i am just going to get a harness bar and call it a day. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
7/8/19 8:54 p.m.

Nothing to add, just that I love notches and miss mine and good luck.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/9/19 7:48 a.m.

In reply to bigfranks84 :

Ditto. I had an 86 4 eyed GT but always wanted a notch LX instead. I'm anxious to see this in Challenge budget constraints.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/19 7:59 a.m.

That screams for a CHP or other cop-liveried theme.  

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/9/19 8:41 a.m.

In reply to bigfranks84 :

Thanks! i have another as well but it is far too nice and i have well over 20k into that car. i do love notches though so i was very fortunate to get a great deal on this one!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/9/19 8:43 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

Yea i am rapidly approaching my cap. i have secured a nitrous kit as well as a good amount of suspension parts so far. ebay has been my good friend as well as scouring the "free" section of craigslist for sheet metal and other supplies. 

Quick question to you or anyone who knows, how are you suppose to document second hand purchases from amrketplace or craigslist? does this fall under the honor system or are you suppose to write up a reciept? I am just curious as i want to be as legit as possible. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/9/19 8:45 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

You know i had actually not thought of that. I have always liked the FHP cars but never really wanted my own. that is probably a better idea than what i am currently going with. I like mustangs for their relationship to planes and i have always wanted to do a fighter jet themed car so that is the route i went. It may hurt me due to the fact fighter jet themed cars have probably been done plenty before but it is a mustang so i figured it works. i have some big plans for it and i am hoping it turns out as good as the vision i have. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
7/9/19 9:03 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

I typed up a universal bill of sale and put a stack of printed copies in all my cars and at work, that way I always had one on me. If you don't have some sort of receipt you will need to get one for the budget book or it will fall unto FMV. There were a couple items I had to go back to get them to sign, but once you get in the mind set it's a lot easier.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/9/19 9:12 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

ok thats what i figured. luckily i only have a few things i have purchased and i have a bill of sale with each item. not too bad. i have to go back and get one for the car but thats not too bad since i know him. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/9/19 6:36 p.m.

started fabricating body parts today out of 2 giant peices of sheet metal i got for free from a guy remodeling his house. They were originally huge backsplash peices to a flat top grill he had. Anyway first up is the wing. I am waiting on my adjustable support rods for the bag side to give it shape and actually make it functional. Rain stopped me from finishing the rivets up. But you get the idea. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/9/19 8:52 p.m.

scored some decent race seats for 100 bones. Ironically from an employee at circuit motorsports. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/19 7:41 a.m.

Welcome! You're gonna have a blast at the Challenge. See you there.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/10/19 12:12 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Thank you sir! I look forward to it. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/10/19 12:18 p.m.

starting to get the motor back together. Heads got resurfaced and i replaced 2 valves for 100 bucks total. Rocker arm girdles are 100% overkill for the motor but i got all of this with the car and i plan to use every bit of it. Should have it running by the end of the day! I get the nitrous kit this weekend. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/10/19 8:06 p.m.

I came here to say that is nice enough to flip, notch backs are the most valued Fox right now.  Too late.

Also I have a pile of parts left over from my 92, that you may want.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/10/19 8:20 p.m.

Cool car. I see you’re in FL too!  You’ll love the Challenge!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/10/19 8:41 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I plan on doing some things that will slightly hack up a few parts. But nothing that can't be undone. It is not as nice as you think but will still hopefully hold its value. I have a few, 1 of which js very nice and WAY faster. But i agree. Value is up and will continue to rise

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/10/19 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 :

Yes sir, Orlando! I am excited. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/10/19 8:46 p.m.

All buttoned up and running again! Just need to set base timing for the nitrous tune and hook the exhaust back up. Hopefully next week get the nitrous kit hooked up and test it out at the track. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/11/19 7:18 a.m.

Fox stuff for sale.

Scroll to the bottom for what is left.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2jb1qDTkx7giJyOKmDnG9O04QIN4sGFfwkejmZm9H2AD4fMQ1NB4r6UJfxlkcnzY