1 2 3 4
SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
2/12/15 5:45 p.m.

The car (and all the swap stuff) are now safely at my buddy's shop.

Looks like we'll have to fab some downpipes as I'm striking out on sourcing a pair... from anywhere.
Other than that, need to modify the crossmember, route the FMIC piping, and do a buncha wiring.
Fingers crossed, should be a few weeks.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
2/12/15 5:55 p.m.

Sounds like you're making good progress since the last time I dropped in here.

All of the turbo cars should have generally good head gaskets (barring something idiotic like chronic overheating or massive abuse of the car); usually they're multi-layer steel instead of the bonded composite you see on the earlier normally aspirated motors. I wouldn't worry about that so much as the condition of everything else on a new-to-you used motor.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
2/21/15 8:50 p.m.

Still (stiiiiiilllll) striking out on finding downpipes, black box of death, or a properly convoluted oil fill neck...
but would it really be fun without some fancy DIY parts?

Also, just got back from picking up some WRX struts and springs.

Related question: options for swapping in bigger sways?
I've found conflicting information as to which will and won't fit.
(OEM options unless I can find an inexpensive aftermarket option)

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
2/24/15 12:08 a.m.

I'm just going to keep yammering away, don't mind me.

For more assertive alignment possibilities, I'm going to need caster/camber plates right?
I'm going to want so source a set that correspond to the WRX struts I acquired, correct?
Rather than a set for a 1st gen Legacy wagon.
Which might not even be a thing.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
2/24/15 5:03 p.m.

I have no knowledge of Subaru systems, but I would go with WRX caster/camber plates. You may have to modify them to fit your wagon. But, do you need those for rallycross?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
2/24/15 9:38 p.m.

I'm not planning on rallycrossing this, afaik the swap would bone me for classing.
I'm just spoiled from miata ownership and like being able to dial in whatever alignment spec I feel like.
And it's been suggested on the legacy boards that the WRX struts might effect how close I can get to a 'good' allignment.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
2/24/15 11:26 p.m.

Just saw this thread and read the whole thing. Looks like a cool project. I always liked this generation of Legacy wagon as well as the one that came right after it. Good luck with the project!

ex007
ex007 New Reader
2/25/15 1:59 a.m.

just wondering, what make you want to go with ej20TT setup over ej205/7 or ej255/7?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
2/25/15 2:11 a.m.

In reply to ex007:

Mostly just ridiculousness.
Bonus points for how much easier (relatively) the swap should be with a RHD starting point.
Toss in a bit of 'EJ20R's are pretty cheap because of how hard they are to use in the states' and there ya go.

ex007
ex007 New Reader
2/25/15 2:58 a.m.

are you planning on a big single conversion or sticking with tt set up?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
3/5/15 8:58 p.m.

In reply to ex007:

TT, only plan on going single if something goes catastrophically wrong with the twins.

Still need a 5-speed trans mount but....

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/2/15 4:47 p.m.

Update!
Not all good news.
In the process of sourcing the vacuum bits required for proper TT operation, I was informed that I was not in fact sold what I thought I was sold.
It appears that what was listed as an EJ20R is in fact an EJ208.
Very similiar, good news in the sense that it is newer (98-03 rather than 96-98), bad news in the sense that it is one step further removed from the 1st gen lego I have.

So, yeah, interesting time to be Snow.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/3/15 7:12 p.m.

It fits, does it matter? What are the differences between the two?

Looks good in there, but we need some pics of the twins (turbos that is...).

classicJackets
classicJackets New Reader
6/3/15 7:51 p.m.

Just read through everything. Good stuff and awesome to see that it fits in there pretty well! Good progress!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/3/15 7:55 p.m.

Well in terms of immediate problems, it means that my finally having sourced the vacuum parts I needed was wasted effort and I get to start all over again.
After that comes the increased difference in wiring, I'm guessing it's not insurmountable but 'much more difficult' might be the phrase that fits.
Upside to that? I might be able to find them on this continent, and they made more of the later one, so on paper they're more plentiful.

You're not missing much in regards to pictures of the twins, they're laughably small.
Basically the opposite of the pictures we've seen of people 'feeding' babies to monster turbos.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
6/3/15 11:08 p.m.

Glad to see you're still plugging away at it. Bummer about the EJ208, but you probably dodged a bullet and will have a nicer ECU and higher static CR.

For the prices that RHD twin turbo Legacies are getting dumped for up here in Canada, I wonder if you might be able to just tow a shattered shell or something from Van and use it as a parts car slash rolling reference manual.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/5/15 4:20 p.m.

In reply to ssswitch:

Good call, I've got a couple guys I autocross with up north who I can/will enlist to keep their eyes open.

I wonder though, how easy or hard it would be to bring a car that I have no intention of titling across the line...
I'd imagine that would make it easier?
Food for thought.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
8/6/15 3:42 p.m.

Back from the dead.
The thread, not the car.
I've been unable to source the missing parts on any continent.

Now looking at a frankenengine, throwing a 2.5 block under all my 2.2 heads and accessories.
The other option was to take a big hit and sell everything, not quite that frustrated with this project.

e46potenza
e46potenza Reader
8/6/15 7:47 p.m.

Keep it going! Make it work! (Says the guy who almost traded his e46 for an e39 yesterday lol)

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/6/15 11:40 p.m.

What parts are missing? You can't overnight parts from japan?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
8/7/15 12:13 a.m.

In reply to bgkast:

I can't even find these parts in Japan.
Or the UK.
Or Aussieland.
Or Canada.

Couple of the six or so pieces came up on ebay recently, but hugely overpriced.
120 bucks plus twenty shipping for one little, used, sensor?
No thanks.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
8/7/15 3:05 p.m.

What sensor are you missing? I'd be surprised if you couldn't make it work without having to drop in a whole new shortblock.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rv0GvdXsXTvwS4qvu6azfZ7nAogLT0DHmu3lw7m0YiqN7rLoGLSuX6EIYHCAZE3o