edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
8/4/16 10:16 a.m.

my buddy spotted your car over at CEP gate 1, he was admiring the side pipes

photo 65F8FCC4-E1BA-4B7F-BF32-5460B4C04BDC.jpg

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/4/16 10:44 a.m.

Get thee to an autocross and be right quick about it!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/11/16 9:34 a.m.

Update: I finished the patch panel with the closest Lowe's spray paint color I could find. It looks...okay. I definitely need a sheetmetal roller though. Too many visible waves from my hand-bending.

Also, I opened the hood to show off my engine to a buddy and he pointed out the melted oil filler stuck to my headers. Oops. Guess it fell off since it was so loose in the first place.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
8/12/16 9:34 a.m.

I'm continuing to follow this build with enthusiasm (I'm a total wagon head). Keep up the good work.

What are your plans for the car after the challenge? If you decide to let it go, let's talk... $$ or I have an engine/tranny combo. you may be interested for the Model A you're planning to build.

maschinenbau
8/12/16 9:54 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy:

I'm glad someone out there appreciates this wagon! Funny you mention post-Challenge plans...I could possibly be convinced to let it go.

I've been thinking about it and I realize my El Camino does everything this wagon does, except haul the 8 children I don't have. It's really cool, turns heads, hauls ass, and has all the creature comforts in the world, but I don't need it as much as I need cash to throw at my Model A. That's the project I have been dreaming about for years. The wagon...well like the tile says I got it on a whim :)

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
8/12/16 10:09 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau:

Have fun at the challenge, and afterwards let's talk.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
8/12/16 6:59 p.m.

Glad to see progress, and I really hope the next owner (if it does move on) still takes it to the CSCC autocrosses! It was hilarious having two big B wagons in attendance.

In the meantime, I will keep telling myself that I don't need another wagon, haha.

maschinenbau
8/23/16 10:06 a.m.

Nothing new to report, just a gratuitous action shot.

gearheadE30, do you still have those high rate springs available? I think I might need them...

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
8/23/16 12:45 p.m.

Hey maschinenbau, I just bought a 93 Caprice sedan as a front door donor (long story) for my wife's wagon. It is now solidly in field car status. If you need any random GM bits they are yours for the cost of shipping.

maschinenbau
9/14/16 11:00 a.m.

Been a while, so here it goes. After 600 hard miles of testing, tuning, racing, and commuting, the Challenge wagon developed a case of the rod knocks I chased the noise everywhere from belt assembly, to flexplate, to rockers and lifters. No luck. Cut open the oil filter and found a glittery surprise.

With the Challenge only a few weeks away, I scrounged the 'list for donor engine. Bingo: LT1 already pulled from a '95 Cadillac hearse with "59,000 miles" for $200. That's cheaper than Pull-a-Part. Turned it over by hand so I took it home.

Last week I got the old engine out. I am hoping to transfer the necessary parts over and install it this week. I will keep this one stock, except for the EGR/AIR/ABS delete and headers. Maybe a little AFR and spark tuning, but nothing crazy.

I suspect the failure had something to do with the low oil pressure light that would flicker or stay on at hot idle. That might have something to do with me cheaping out during the rebuild and NOT replacing the oil pump on a 250k mile engine...lesson learned? I never measured the pressure manually, so I might not ever know the exact cause, but it's a good guess.

The plan:

• Separate trans and torque converter from old engine
  • Remove intake, exhaust, water pump, Opti, plugs, wires, and valve covers from both engines
  • Transfer above parts from old engine onto new engine
  • Mate trans and TC to new engine
  • Slap it all back in
  • Write a basic tune for the emissions delete, wheel size change, and cooling fans on a lower temps
  • Drive it as much as berkeleying possible before the Challenge
  • Throw the extra parts from both engines in the trunk just in case
  • Challenge
  • Sell
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
9/14/16 11:12 a.m.

Wow! And we thought we were behind the eight-ball getting ready. Hope it comes together for you. For what it's worth we have been battling all kinds of niggling problems from electrical 2 crapped out starters. As a result we have not been able to do any autocross or drag race testing due to trying to get the damn car running. Good luck!

maschinenbau
9/14/16 11:18 a.m.

Also I just did some Challenge budget math. By removing the old engine, I effectively removed $700 from the budget. By installing the "new" engine, my budget will be $1,068. So I could sell a few accessory parts and compete in the $1,008 class!

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/14/16 11:40 a.m.

Nice. It's looking like the $1,008 class is shaping up to be pretty competitive this year with a number of entries. Good luck with your last minute engine swap.

Nessumsar
Nessumsar New Reader
9/14/16 4:46 p.m.

Maschinenbau: FYI, if I remember correctly the oil pressure light comes on at some ridiculously low number, around 2psi... So that may have very well done it in!

I'm looking forward to this big girl putting a hurtin' on the others at the Challenge!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
9/14/16 7:18 p.m.

That engine might have 59,000 miles on it but it was all done a mile and a half at a time at 15 mph. Watch for cooling system issues. Give the block a flush. Hopefully, the oil actually warmed up most of the time.

maschinenbau
9/15/16 9:36 a.m.

Thanks everyone! My enthusiasm for this car is feeling refreshed. Things are looking up. I got around to disassembling the new engine. I cut up the oil filter and could not find any particles, just some decent looking oil. Also this engine was equipped with an oil cooler, which I think I should use. I need to find new lines and an exchanger at the junkyard, but at least I have the right filter housing. I am using the old engine's Opti and water pump because I know for sure that those work. Also this oil pan is dented from being transported/sat on the ground by a redneck driving a tow truck, so I will use the old engine's pan.

Meet the new engine, same as the old engine

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/15/16 9:42 a.m.

Hang in there maing! It ain't the GRM $2016 Walk In The Park!!!

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
9/15/16 2:23 p.m.

Hey, sorry for the delayed response; I've been in China and the internet there isn't quite like it is here. I do still have those springs if you want them! Just text me or something. Glad you're making some good progress.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
9/15/16 3:42 p.m.

I'd be disappointed if this thing doesn't make it to the challenge.

maschinenbau
9/16/16 9:55 a.m.

From the outside, this engine looks like it sat in bucket of saltwater for a year. From the inside, it looks like it was running just yesterday. The oil is a very pleasant color, no sludge, and I could not find any traces of debris in the oil pan. I decided against the oil cooler and installed the standard filter housing from the old engine (after a thorough cleaning). The cooler might reduce oil pressure, and also I am lazy and don't want to go get one. I think can keep things cool enough by playing with the radiator fans in the tune. I found that really helped coolant temps on the last engine. The stock tune finds any reason to keep the fans turned off.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/16/16 10:01 a.m.

i have new cooler lines in the bag from napa if you end up needing.

maschinenbau
9/19/16 10:34 a.m.

Last-minute Challenge engine swap update:

The new engine is completely assembled, including trans and torque converter. It is hanging on the hoist next to the car and I will shove it in tonight. A local shop can crimp a new hose on the toasted A/C line, so I will pick that up on the way home along with many gallons of engine fluids.

It should start up tonight. If it doesn't run...I don't want to think about if it doesn't run. I am tired of working on this boat.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
9/19/16 11:20 a.m.

Hang in there. You've just about got this one wrapped up, and then on to Challenge Goodness! We're all cheering for you.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
9/19/16 11:51 a.m.

I love that motor came out of a hearse! The dead are serving the living.

maschinenbau
9/20/16 7:31 a.m.

I have pinpointed the source of the old engine's rod knock noises. If you guessed rod bearing #8, you were right! Here I am measuring bearing clearance not with plastigage, not with a micrometer, but with my fingers by wiggling the rod back and forth. This rod cap is still torqued by the way. I swore it ran just fine like this!

https://youtu.be/j0F3t7OpTfw

Chunks in the pickup. Grittiest oil I have ever touched. It was like a tiny person was sandblasting parts inside this oil pan.

Anyway, the new engine is in! It is bolted to the mounts and I have started hooking things up. Hoping for a test fire tonight. If you look closely, you will see the old engine being shamed in the back corner.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZfhlMTOMKP9ihq45HxL6PGAHgtlm4QQGHXHyt4RiX0wuSWbJZocMCLrIurFZ4gqh