1 2 3
solfly
solfly New Reader
6/27/13 1:38 p.m.

and yeah, keep it in second once you upshift

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
6/27/13 1:50 p.m.

Yeah, in my other runs I did. I think first after that final hairpin it would be faster (I gots not torques down low), but all my subsequent runs I put it in second and left it. This was my last dry run though, unfortunately, so it just got slower after that.

I really never noticed any understeer except when I really screwed up though. I was just having a lot of trouble learning the car. It has many much more grip than I was used to.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
6/27/13 1:52 p.m.

Not sure on the front bar, I'll have to measure it.

It has heavier rear springs already, not a huge difference though. Do GC have the springrates etched in the springs? I.e. is there anyway to figure out the exact number?

On the vague steering it has an integra rack and subframe, so maybe not stellar, but it seemed good to me.

solfly
solfly New Reader
6/27/13 1:54 p.m.

if its a spring on a coilover it will have the rates. stock style springs will not. i thought it had 600s?

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
6/27/13 2:03 p.m.

The previous owner said 600/600 something in the front/rear I can't remember exactly what he said, and don't want to bother him again since I've already bothered the heck out of him :)

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
6/27/13 7:43 p.m.

BTW: Thanks for the input, constructive criticism and advice is always appreciated.

I should hopefully get a real update posted tomorrow (I had an ... interesting time at the autoX), work has been hammering me.

beans
beans Reader
6/28/13 9:58 a.m.

Painted on.

http://tampabay.dsm.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2065

solfly
solfly New Reader
6/28/13 10:16 a.m.

600/600 is good. which struts?

get the rear bar on there with the brace and youll be styling

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
6/28/13 1:52 p.m.

Koni Yellow Adjustables I believe.

The rears were on full firm, we loosened them up a full turn. I was so out of it I didn't even check to see what the fronts were set at. Lol.

Not my best moment, but it was a lot of fun to thrash.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
6/30/13 8:57 p.m.

Huh, so it looks like the rears are 750 (!?).

Judging from the thread linked that is, I didn't check the fronts yet. Well I did and promptly forgot what it said and didn't feel like taking a picture (getting my gloves off), but I was suffering from heat stroke in the shade. When I took my rubber gloves off a stream of water came out with them, gross.

Also the rear bar that's not on it, but came with it is 24.5mm roughly, I guess I should get adjustable endlinks to go with the subframe brace?

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
6/30/13 9:50 p.m.

eibach 169054 = Eibach 8” Coil-Over Springs (2) – Miata Front Springs. Eibach 169054 0800.250.0750 2.50” inside diameter, 8” length, 750 lbs/in spring rate

800.250.0750 other number= 8" long, 2.5" around, 750lb spring rate.

750s are a little stout for the rear. I don't know if the Koni's can handle that spring rate. Does the rear bounce when driven in anger?

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
6/30/13 9:55 p.m.

The only place I've driven it in anger's pavement was so bad that I couldn't tell you. I was too busy hanging on and hoping my back and fillings could make it. I'll check the front tonight to see what's on them.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
6/30/13 10:37 p.m.

Damn, accidentally hit cmd-enter and posted my incomplete story. Will post again when it's done.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
7/1/13 12:32 a.m.

Now is as good as time as ever for story time + update.

So the shakedown went ... wellish.

I got the wipers on the car at 12:30am the day of the autoX, still not sure if I was going to go or not. I felt like crap. Screw it, I thought, what's the worst that could happen. Famous last words, eh?

I get up, still feeling like E36 M3 on 4 hours of sleep. Go to start the car: Click. berkeley. Run back to the house and get the Subaru over, jump off the civic. Sweet, we're rolling. So off I go, driving my raggedy civic to PIR on expired temp tags (by one day), almost getting T-boned (my chance to truly testing the roll bar integrity) on the way over was exciting, better than coffee to wake you up I suppose. Get there, leave the car running so it'll get the battery charged again.

Go do some registration-y type things. “Uh, dude, your car is leaking something.” Well berkeley. Turn it off, pop the hood. The radiator overflow tank is hissing like mad and full. Fan is either shot or something is screwy (get in line). McGyver of honda’s comes over with a wire and jumpers the fan switch. Nothing. berkeley it, I’ll just shut it down between runs.

Everyone is walking up and admiring the car. Talking about how it looks fast, and wondering how it’ll do. I stand off to the side, my head held in shame knowing what would be coming.

Get out and 1st run I realize just how bumpy this course is. As stated, not the worlds greatest driver (I’m better than my dog Sandy!). Going into the slalom I’m fighting to keep it on some semblance of balance as I’m getting slammed on what feels like an expansion joint. Many much gear grinds and sketchy turns later and I’m through. Did I mention I’m new to this car?

After that, for a while, everything was going relatively smoothly. I think it was the 4-5th run, I get out, I’ve gotten some advice from the other civic guy, I’m feeling good. I hit the expansion joint and....

Aside: I’ve always been astounded at how quiet this car is. It has a single cherry bomb “muffler” (they use that term fast and loose) and dumps under the car. I hadn’t had the thing on jackstands yet since it was “working” and I don’t have a garage, it’s hard to fiddle with the car curbside. Anywho

I come through feeling good, should’ve given it a bit more in the sweeper, but (I think) my best yet, and “BWAAAAAAAAAAA”.

What the hell.

I keep on it for a while, but E36 M3 just got loud (The video doesn’t do it justice, we’re talking rattle the car and everything around it loud). I stop on course and check the vitals, whatever. The car is still running, limp to the pits.

"Something fell off"

Turns out the black magic that kept my car reasonably quiet was 6-8 brillo pads with a pressure fit exhaust piece turned up to point at the chassi. Ghetto fabulous indeed. Well, that removed some backpressure for sure, the car felt a bit more willing to rev after that. Everything else went reasonably well, but the rain picked up and all I could do was hold my current time.

solfly
solfly New Reader
7/1/13 3:02 p.m.

sounds like an interesting event. if those are "off the shelf" koni yellows the 750 springs may be pushing it.

is the bar you have "adjustable"? it would have multiple holes in the link end. if not get adjustable links.

did you check the front spring rate? does it have a front sway bar?

TAParker
TAParker New Reader
7/1/13 6:15 p.m.

That is awesome.....great work and pics!!!!

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
7/1/13 10:45 p.m.

Just watched your video. Lots of bounce!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdud-A6-lXg

450lb front, 550lb rear

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
7/2/13 6:10 p.m.
clownkiller wrote: Just watched your video. Lots of bounce!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdud-A6-lXg 450lb front, 550lb rear

Where in particular did you notice the most bounce? Is it at that transition into the slalom? Because I'm 99% sure I was getting air through there, the bump was so bad. I was never giving the car the full beans because of how jarring it all was. That was the worst, but that last hairpin had some bad pavement too. Javelin was telling me that they have secured better venues for next year.

I'll probably run what I brung for now, I'm broke! I need to check to see what the fronts are and check on the sway bar. I'm still trying to get a matching passenger seat and harness so I can actually do some HPDEs.

Work has been killing me these last few weeks.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/13 6:35 p.m.

Are you coming back out on the 14th?

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
7/2/13 6:45 p.m.

I'm out of town for vacation unfortunately. I've been wanting to drive badly too.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
7/10/13 3:54 p.m.

Soooo, checked the front springs, any guesses on rate?

700 lb/in Springs, so 700 front/750 rear. Can koni yellows be revalved? I might try swapping the front to the rear and order some 650s as a temp solution (I'm actually not sure if they'll swap, something to look into).

On vacation for the next to weeks so I rented a spot for the car to chill in for a while.

Todo:

Fix the temp gauge and fan.

Get rear sub frame brace Anne adjustable end links

Install rear discount swap

Install rear sway bar

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
7/10/13 4:06 p.m.

Why wouldn't they swap? They're both 8" long 2.5" diameter spring.

Frickin' sweet project btw. I'll say the same thing to you that I say during every singe 92-95 civic hatch thread on here.

I MISS MY EG Si TERRIBLY!!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
7/10/13 4:14 p.m.

I didn't look at the length and diameter of the front, so I wasn't sure.

It's a lot of cheap fun, I would like to get a junkyard turbo setup on it till I pop the d16. Just trying to get the basics covered first.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
7/11/13 8:35 a.m.

Very nice car and very cool build so far. I'm taking notes.

beans
beans Reader
7/18/13 2:42 p.m.

MOAR

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yplTMaf1H0FOLzxm5WnaRNfGm8242aqolWhrQJsKSruyzftNZv5edGTwwxxyj0cG