1 2 3 4 5
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports
6/2/16 12:32 p.m.

And I debated going with rat trap pedals since guys were still running them back then. They're still available in 9/16 inch. We'll see.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports
6/2/16 12:38 p.m.
84FSP wrote: So jealous of the Floval Flyer.

Thanks. I need to get graphite Tuffs back on it:

10850247_10205355742684146_8312023717835223484_n

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded New Reader
6/2/16 1:50 p.m.

This is totally radical

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/2/16 4:10 p.m.

Oh god thats nice.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
6/2/16 7:48 p.m.

3/8 axles and no pegs. I feel like id break it!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
6/2/16 8:03 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to paranoid_android74: Not sure where you quoted that from, but most current stuff uses threadless headsets, which are just like they sound - there are no longer any threads on the fork's steer-tube(to strip out). Instead, the stem clamps directly around the steer tube, and there is a spring-steel star-nut that slides down into the steer tube. A top-cap for the stem with a small Allen-head bolt are then threaded in after everything is assembled, which provides just enough clamping force to hold the bearings tight. You then clamp down the stem around the steer-tube, and that holds everything in position/tight without any real chance of slippage. Since steer-tubes may need to be longer/shorter depending on head-tube length, stem thickness, and how many spacers you need to raise the bars to the correct height, it's pretty common to need to cut off the steer tube before final assemble.

Yes! Ok, I get it now. I didn't realize they needed to be cut to length. It didn't make sense that Skyway would make a modern frame set with a threaded headset.

Mr. Wallens mentioned having it done, I goofed up the quote.

It's looking good!

David S. Wallens
6/2/16 8:20 p.m.

Not all steering tubes need to be cut. My S&M came ready to go, including installation of the star nut.

And so far no work tonight, although I pick up some fresh silicone to glue on the Kool Caps.

David S. Wallens
6/2/16 10:36 p.m.

Even though I didn't work on the bike tonight, here's an update.

This frame uses a modern 1-1/8-inch threadless headset. A company called Knight Bike Co. offer a compatible stem that looks like an old Tuf-Neck.

Photo:

I thought it was cool.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
6/2/16 10:41 p.m.

This takes me back to when we'd jump garbage cans with our bikes (trying to copy Evil Kneivel jumping buses) after school

David S. Wallens
6/2/16 10:44 p.m.
TIGMOTORSPORTS wrote: This takes me back to when we'd jump garbage cans with our bikes (trying to copy Evil Kneivel jumping buses) after school

Totally. This is all about memories and good times. It simply makes me happy, and I'm glad that others dig it.

Also, here's a photo of my friend (and mechanic). This was taken the Sunday of the Rolex. Even after a long day/night at the track, she still wanted to ride. This lip has a weird transition, she said. Still, it can be worked.

323A4040

David S. Wallens
6/3/16 11:05 a.m.

A lunchtime update.

Those threadless headsets usually have a spacer between the headset and the stem. To keep it old school, SE offers this:

At first glance, it kinda looks like an old school threaded headset. And, yes, I'm running one.

David S. Wallens
6/3/16 11:17 a.m.

And here's a (rather mediocre) photo of the whole assembly:

IMG_4530

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun Reader
6/3/16 12:21 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
TIGMOTORSPORTS wrote: This takes me back to when we'd jump garbage cans with our bikes (trying to copy Evil Kneivel jumping buses) after school
Totally. This is all about memories and good times. It simply makes me happy, and I'm glad that others dig it. Also, here's a photo of my friend (and mechanic). This was taken the Sunday of the Rolex. Even after a long day/night at the track, she still wanted to ride. This lip has a weird transition, she said. Still, it can be worked. 323A4040

Is your friend/mechanic riding a bike with 16" wheels or is the pic (which is awesome BTW) from an odd angle that makes them appear smaller? Love the Floval flyer too! I picked up a 24" diamond back cruiser off of the list of craig. Love the thing, although the 24" wheels feel rather heavy to me. You mentioned 22's. How is there mass and feel compared to 24's? That much of a difference that its worth the change? Keep the BMX updates coming!!!
Paul

David S. Wallens
6/3/16 12:46 p.m.

She's riding standard 20-inch wheels but, yeah, the angle does make them look a little smaller.

To me the 22 feels more nimble than the 24. Let's put it this way: Since building the 22, I don't ride my 24 too much.

Here's a more recent pic: same park, different ramp, new Cult Stone Cold frame.

IMG_1128

If anyone wants to ride with us, I'm hosting another get-together at that park in two weeks.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
6/3/16 12:48 p.m.

Sweet build. And thanks for reminding me i need to snag my first "real" bike before i move out of the south. Im not as old school as you guys and was more into the dirt track bmx stuff cause we didnt have many (one) skate parks and they only let bikes in on thursdays...anyways my bike is a trex ti1 from 2000 or 01

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
6/3/16 2:07 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: A lunchtime update. Those threadless headsets usually have a spacer between the headset and the stem. To keep it old school, SE offers this: At first glance, it kinda looks like an old school threaded headset. And, yes, I'm running one.

That's cool. I may pick up a couple of those for myou mtbs just to mess with people's heads.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
6/3/16 10:05 p.m.

These sure have come a long way from when I did this in the very early 70's. They didn't make BMX bikes back then, we had to build and fab our own. Weld motorcycle handle bars to the goosenecks was one thing we did cause most bike bars were too weak to take the abuse and they were wider at the grips. Used motorcycle motocross handgrips too. That's when I learned to weld and braze. Even learned to re-spoke and true wheels. Schwinn frames were the ones to build off of because they had a replacement if broke warranty....until they found out what we were really doing when the frame broke. 24" forks on 20" frame. Rear knobby tires on the front, cheater slicks on the rear. Scrounged bike parts anyplace we could and built bikes for specific purposes. We built a balanced one that was easy to ride a wheelie with for blocks. Pipes to extend forks for the chopper look. Weld a rear sprocket to the pedal crank for really quick off the line starts. I preferred a banana seat mounted low rather than the solo saddle, served a fender and protection from the rear wheel. Gear? Never heard of it. Still have a small scar on my chin from stitches after going over the handle bars in gravel.

Probably would seriously hurt myself at my age on one now.

David S. Wallens
6/3/16 10:20 p.m.

Before we had BMX, we had what we called just MX. It was exactly what you described--crossbar handlebars and a banana seat. I think mine was made by Peugeot, but I can't really remember. I remember it being green with a white banana seat, and I got the bars from Brands, the big bike shop on Long Island.

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a Schwinn, although around that time I did have a Pea Picker. Once BMX caught on and I got my first bike--an all-steel St. Tropez that must have weighed a full ton--the Pea Picker was sold. I hate to think what it's worth now.

Our local hobby shop carried those first Mongooses. That changed everything.

David S. Wallens
6/6/16 11:43 a.m.

No work on the bike this weekend, although I did go riding while visiting Albany, Georgia, to see Five Eight play:

IMG_4536

IMG_4629

And, here, a photo from the show:

IMG_4604 (1)

David S. Wallens
6/7/16 8:38 p.m.

Can you smell that? That's the sound of progress.

Back in the day, Skyway Tuff Wheel IIs had metal flanges: silver for the regular wheels and gold for the super-cool graphite models.

BMXPlus

The modern Tuff Wheels don't get those flanges. My wheels, even though they're now more than 10 years old, didn't get them. (Okay, technically, yes, some special edition wheels now get those flanges; that wasn't an option when I bought mine.)

IMG_4685 (1)

Enter Kool Caps. Do they make you go faster? Nope. But they do a nice job of taking you back to 1983.

IMG_4691

Their maker recommends some clear silicone for the job.

IMG_4684

And presto!

IMG_4697

It's now 1983. (Okay, technically the car is a 1984, but Porsche also used that color the previous year.)

IMG_4710

dropstep
dropstep Dork
6/7/16 9:16 p.m.

Looking good! Do you guys all ride pegless? i know alot of concrete parks require sleeves, its just weird for me to see so many bikes pegless.

David S. Wallens
6/7/16 10:39 p.m.

Thanks. As far as I know, our local park allows pegs. I ride without them because, well, I'm old. Chelsea rode with pegs on the black bike. The orange bike is pegless to save some weight.

David S. Wallens
6/7/16 11:44 p.m.

And a little Tuff Wheel history courtesy of Ed at Planet BMX:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/CtUh3UZQFnM

2GRX7
2GRX7 New Reader
6/8/16 10:53 p.m.

WOW- Brands? I haven't heard that name in decades. W.Hempstead L.I., born n' raised. Weapon of choice- Hutch Da' Judge!

David S. Wallens
6/8/16 11:41 p.m.

Brands was awesome, wasn't it? They had a real BMX section. I remember once seeing a side hack on the floor. That had to have been around 1980. Plus they had the Kuwahawa E.T. My dad was into cycling, so every now and then we'd take a trip across the island to visit Brands. Plus it was kind of near my grandparents' house.

I also remember Brands having a luggage section, which always seemed weird. Did that stuff fall of a truck or something? Hi, I'd like a Fuji 10-speed, a water bottle and a valise.

Good call on the Hutch. They're back now.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R7r6rNoJ7F0L4cIQ2ylxLSXXC2Fo1Ws1YFptBkXVMMszZRo3a8sKugPKBHiZLTq7