1 ... 13 14 15
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/19/24 6:57 p.m.

Getting gas and McDonald's off I40 in Texas. ...correction, Diesel.

I thoroughly enjoyed Rallycross,  but only got one run before the 'rigged 3 different ways' left rear strut contacted the axle boot.

Trailer and Frog are with my Gambler buddy Billy in OKC.

Somehow I won second place in Modified Rear for 2023 season and got a certificate at the driver's meeting. I'm proud of me and my beat up Porsches. (Were there more than 2 cars in class?)

5/22/24 1:44 p.m.

The drive to Phoenix was getting tiresome on I-40, so I detoured through El Malpais National Monument. Well worth the added time.

I walked about a mile on the Lava Falls loop trail. It was a good break from driving.

TowPig has been good. I got my first speeding ticket in a couple decades as I was leaving a small town. I thought that I was out of town already and back to highway,  but the police disagreed. I'll accept their expertise rather than return for a court date.  No check engine light and gas mileage showed 29.7 mpg average when I arrived in Phoenix.

5/22/24 1:56 p.m.

My grandkids here are finishing their last day of school (half day). We are deciding between the Desert Botanical Garden or the Musical Instrument Museum for the afternoon.

https://dbg.org/

https://mim.org/

I'm starting to think that we'll enjoy the MIM more. The afternoon sun can be pretty brutal in late May.

5/22/24 7:51 p.m.

MIM was cool. All kinds of instruments from around the world and through history. A room of stuff you could get hands on with. Guitar collections were my favorite.

5/25/24 1:10 a.m.

The drive from Phoenix back to Oklahoma was good. I stayed off the interstate well into New Mexico; Phoenix - Payson - Show Low - Quemado - El Malpais National Monument. Some construction, but not bad.

My whole trip with TowPig was about 2,500 miles with roughly 500 of it towing. The best average fuel mileage I got was 34 mpg from Phoenix to Tucumcari, NM. Towing the trailer from OKC back home was about 25 mpg. No problems with TowPig at all after the work I did before the trip. I love the TDI, but wonder if I might like a newer Chevy Colorado with the 2.7L as an eventual replacement.

5/26/24 7:15 p.m.

About 200 pics from the 5/19 North Texas Rallycross uploaded to Flickr.   ...Since I could only get one run in, I had time for some photography: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBsbAd

5/26/24 7:21 p.m.

GoPro of the one run I had. Taking it easy getting a feel for the car and course. It was an awesome course, over a mile:

5/27/24 10:49 p.m.

When I gave away the Terrible '99 Boxster I told my friend, "My name is not on any of the paperwork or history of this car and I want it to stay that way. It was never mine and I don't know anything about it."

Today I received a call from a number I don't know. I didn't answer. Then a text: {I'm buying some Porsche motors from a guy and he gave me your number. He said you might be able to sell me the rest of the parts.} After I replied, he sent me a picture of his car. It's Terrible. It turns out that my friend sold him the car and another guy that I've bought a car from told him I'm a good 'parts guy'. I'm probably going to sell him some of the parts I took from the car. I think it's going to need a lot more than he thinks it needs and I hate to be the guy to break it to him.

5/28/24 10:12 p.m.

Today I realized that I am not going to have enough time to fix the Frog before the next rallycross on June 9th (working 7am to 7pm every day from tomorrow through the 8th). I dragged the 'Parts Car Porsche' from the woods and chased away the snakes that were keeping the mice out of it. It runs great and even has working AC. I'll put some tires and a spoiler on the back and give it one more race day.

6/16/24 10:13 p.m.

Random update...

The June 9th Rallycross was canceled because rain had washed out much of the area where the course gets laid out. It was a big disappointment, but I enjoyed some good family time that weekend instead.

May be an image of grass and horizon

The next rallycross is July 6th night. I picked up a pair of off-road lights to mount on either the Frog or the Parts-Car. It's probably going to be the Parts-Car in July. One of my co-worker pilots is medically grounded for at least a few months and I'm not sure that I'll have free time to work on cars for a while covering extra shifts.

This weekend I missed some great local events. Red River Rollout, Rally in the Valley, and SCCA Rallycross at Billings, Ok. It's times like this that I think of retiring, but then I'd still have to choose which one of the events to attend.

It's good that I've been at work. We kept very busy. I'm on night shift and was flying at sunset, sunrise, and a few in between. As the clock turned from Saturday night to Father's Day morning, there was a sad one. Some people shouldn't have kids. Funny how most of the other recent calls blend together in memory. Funny what becomes 'routine' in the EMS business.

I've driven my Gambler cars to work lately. I think that the Xbox is a local favorite. People hang out of passenger windows and wave giving it thumbs-up. At stop lights people roll down windows and ask questions. To me it's a fun piece of 'outsider art'. There are no great performance modifications and the work is all done pretty rough. It's that seeing it and hearing it makes people smile and feel emotions. The Not-a-Tesla Prius gets a lot of fun reactions too, but not so much as the Xbox.

Tonight I drove the ACTY to work. It's stock, but there aren't any others driven in the area. When I'm driving in town, everyone waves to me. Do I know them or do they think I'm some other guy they know with a KEI truck? I always smile and wave back. It makes me laugh when I see Matt's GMC truck parked next to it.

6/30/24 4:49 p.m.

Night Rallycross in a week. I put lights on the PartsCar today.

7/8/24 1:56 p.m.
1 ... 13 14 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8izwr6paH7jcNxYxjZKGVYi9U0A92UEQlOrGGKnCjcQ6dDOEFEfZVzXuGUNkOa3o