Scottah
Scottah Dork
3/6/16 2:29 p.m.

Been promising this thread to Mr. Duece for a bit now. Here goes:

Back in July '15 I started working for a new engineering/consulting firm. We do soil/concrete sampling/testing/inspection etc. Our trucks are used. Hard. Usually covered in concrete and not taken very good care of. When I started, I noticed that we had this New Body Style (NBS) Chevrolet Silverado. It was the odd ball because we switched to newer Tacomas. The field guys did not want to drive the Silverado because "it's old" and "the radio don't work." I got to drive it a few times and it was fine to me.

Back in late November/Early December, the CEO says that we were sending that truck away to auction. I asked him if I could buy it and he set sure. I'll put it out for company bid. When I looked at the truck's office folder, I found and an estimate the company got a year before from the local stealership that said the truck was garbage and should be traded in. Some things they lie about, err wrote an estimate for was all 4 front ball joints, front/rear brakes, wheel cylinders, front axles, rear axle seals, and a whole laundry list of BS. Long story short I was the only bidder with the reserve set at $3500. What I got was a 2007 Chevrolet Z71 Silverado with 135k on the clock.

What I got was a truck that was trashed on the inside and out. Absolutely filthy. Lots of concrete splattered on the outside, with asphalt inside. The bad radio was the speakers. Front two wheel bearings were making a metal on metal sound, rust (bubbly paint above the wheel arches on the bed), 4 mismatched tires, a warped bedliner, original plugs and wire, and faded exterior trim. Truck ran okay but would mis at idle. Correct OE plugs and wires cured that fast.

First order of business was the interior. Dear god it was nasty. Apparently the gentleman who had the truck for a number of years was a slob, and a smoker. Truck didn't smell like smoke when I got it, but it did smell like armpit and dirt. I got started right away, but realized that basic cleaning was wasting time. There was so much caked on dirt and mud that I had to remove every single interior panel and trim piece and soak in the bath tub. After soaking, I had to use a stiff bristle brush to scrub the pieces clean. Some pieces took multiple attempts to get clean. I also knew the seats had to be removed. Had to. When I took them out, this is what I saw:

After seeing this horror of french fries, aspirin, change, and gobs of caked in mud, I knew that just vacuuming wouldn't work. Had to take out the carpet and hit with the pressure washer. That worked wonders. Took out all of the mud and bits of asphalt. Hung in the garage for a few days to dry and all was well. I put speakers back in and assembled the interior. Put in a "new car scent" air freshener and it's amazing how well the truck smells when I get in it every morning. It just smells clean, mostly because it is. I just realized that I don't have an after picture, but it's nothing to look at really other than just really clean.

After getting the inside clean, life happens as it does with 2 kids and studying for the PE. I replaced the wheel bearings a few weekends ago and added 2" leveling blocks on the front aka a leveling kit. I had always heard this phrase but never understood what it was. Basically a 2-inch spacer that sits under the front coil sprint assembly that makes the front level with the rear. Stock trucks all seem to have some serious rake from the factory. Pictures don't capture it well but it looks a lot better. I also got some new tires and a full alignment as well. Went with Cooper Discoverer's in stock 265/70/17. It looks a ton better with the new tires and leveled. Someone in our business park made the mistake of leaving a 50 yard dumpster unattended so I threw the bed liner in there. I can't be trusted around a 50 yard dumpster. My wife on the other hand is a hoarder in comparison.

You also may have noticed that I removed the aweful door trim. I have only done the drivers side to this point because I wore an eraser wheel to the nub getting the trim glue off the truck. Easy button was to use a heat gun to heat it up and pull it off. They hold a ton of gunk behind them. My daughter seems amused.

As I said, an eraser wheel made quick work of the glue, but I need to get another one to finish removing that and the "I can still smoke in the rain" window covers.

After moving on from getting the mechanicals sorted, I wanted to address the rust in the rear wheel wells. I don't have any before pictures, but just imagine bubbly paint in the areas below. I started with a wire wheel and just removed all of the bubbly paint down to mostly bare metal. As always I had 15 minutes to work on this so it flash rusted back over when I snapped these pics:

I hit the bare metal with some rust converter and then some rustoleum.

Next up came the decision to cover the converted rust rather than trying to paint. I knew fender flares would be the easy button, but finding a set of fender flares that wouldn't make the truck look like a rolling vape shop was the challenge. Luckily eBay prevailed and I ended up with a cheap set for $125 shipped that suit my tastes. Pretty basic install. Double sided tape and self tapping screws hold these on tight.

Up to this point I'm pretty happy. There are still plenty of things I'd like to do, but they will come slowly. My overall impressions are positive, and daily driving this truck is the equivalent of driving a lazy boy. It's just comfortable and smooth. I really do enjoy it. Easy to work on, parts are cheap. I can't complain. Up to this point, I'm less than $5k invested in a truck that would still cost $13k off the lot.

Thanks for the read!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/6/16 3:34 p.m.

A good read and a nice truck.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
3/6/16 3:53 p.m.

We have these trucks at work and regularly thrash them over 300,000 miles with minimal maintenance. Well bought!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/6/16 6:30 p.m.

Good job! Have you had to fix the power window switches or upper ball joints? Those are the only two other really common areas of failure. Also do a quick search for the mega fuse and associated corrosion issues with that. I haven't had a problem but I helped a friend's son 'fix' his truck by making sure all the fuses were in the proper location and all of the terminals were clean. It solved his mystery no start condition.
Good truck to just drive and drive and drive.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
3/6/16 7:34 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I did when I had the door panels off thanks to your build thread. I did the upper ball joints when I did the wheel bearings.

I did have the windshield washer fluid pump die a few weeks ago. Replacement sourced on eBay. Just waiting for time for me to install which means maybe in a month or two.

Jambo
Jambo New Reader
3/6/16 8:39 p.m.

I don't know how hot it gets where you are, but the window covers are nice in the summer.

You can leave the windows cracked to mitigate the greenhouse effect of your car sitting there baking in the sun. I've got a wagon, but I figure it's probably a 20-30 degree difference inside the car when I do that and put a reflector up in the windshield.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry New Reader
3/6/16 8:45 p.m.

What a score! Great job - amazing what a little elbow grease can accomplish.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
3/6/16 9:38 p.m.

Pulling off the side trim was a really amazing transformation. I won't look at these trucks the same, always thinking now how I want to rip those pieces off.

True grassroots daily driver

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/7/16 9:51 a.m.

Great job! Those are darn nice lookin' trucks, miss my old Sierra.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
3/7/16 10:45 a.m.

That's a great buy. Great trucks and you have a ton of life left in that for the entry price.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/7/16 3:43 p.m.

I feel like this thread is going to suffer from the same problem that the original Grosh truck thread does. One you fix things, you just drive the crap out of it for many years and thousands of miles. It makes for a rewarding ownership experience, but a boring thread.
With all the money you saved so far, you could totally spring for a moderate single turbo.

AntiArrhythmic
AntiArrhythmic New Reader
3/7/16 4:58 p.m.

I believe that is commonly called an NNBS truck. NBS is 99-07 classic. (07 was a split year) Great buy.

Scooter
Scooter Dork
11/10/16 5:44 p.m.

No real updates. Truck developed a leak in the third brake light so I bought a new eBay one and that remedied the problem.

This truck has helped me remodel my house and done a lot of truck things this summer. I love this damn thing. I never thought I'd experience such a thrill of driving from a pickup truck.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
11/10/16 9:48 p.m.

Great build up. I like my 2500HD. My truck was much like yours when I got it, except somebody detailed the interior and when I started pulling interior panels, everything was caked in red Texas dirt.

I'm looking at getting some leveling blocks, I hate that the crew cab/short bed trucks sit higher than the crew cab/long bed trucks do, at least in the HD world.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
11/11/16 8:23 a.m.

Damn, that's a great score. Trucks are unbelievably expensive in Central TX by comparison. Granted we don't deal with rust like you do, but around here 150k is considered a low mile truck. LOL

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/11/16 9:47 a.m.

It's amazing how much better those trucks like without the side molding.

Scooter
Scooter Dork
11/11/16 12:04 p.m.
Crackers wrote: Damn, that's a great score. Trucks are unbelievably expensive in Central TX by comparison. Granted we don't deal with rust like you do, but around here 150k is considered a low mile truck. LOL

Trust me, they're out of hand expensive up here as well. I'd sell this thing for $14k up here most likely.

I simply hit the lottery by purchasing this from my work.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
11/11/16 12:31 p.m.

Good thing this is an update, I thought you had to buy one as a support vehicle for the sub $500 DSMs you're collecting.

Taking the trim off those makes a huge difference.

Scooter
Scooter Dork
11/29/17 6:59 a.m.

Update time. Thanks photosuckit. I will rehost pictures again soon. 

Truck has been running well for the last 20k miles. No major issues to report save for some bad tire pressure sensors and an airbag sensor. Pro tip. When your service airbag system code flashes on the dash, just buy a doorman replacement off eBay for $50 and replace each of the front sensors until the light goes off. There are only two so you may get lucky. 

Next order of business is (trigger warning) rust. The rockers and can corners on this truck are gone in the rear. The inner rocker looks shot as well. I'm not looking forward to spending $300/side plus the huge pain in the ass to replace this but I have to. Figure come tax time I'll buy parts for one side and dive in. 

Stay tuned. 

Scott Hatfield
Scott Hatfield Dork
4/29/18 6:46 a.m.

Well, I didn’t get to fix rust, but thanks to GM and Active Fuel Management, I collapsed a number 4 lifter on the way to work last week. Got the heads off yesterday in about 4 back breaking hours. 

Going to delete the AFM and throw in a tune to make the truck even better. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/29/18 7:17 a.m.

If you wanted a faster Grosh truck the lsa blowers off all the CTSV’s are on eBay.  They replaced an entire generation under warranty and they have been on eBay for ~500...  Not that you need help with scope creep... 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
10/1/21 7:04 a.m.

Well this thread comes to a close. After 50k miles of ownership over 5.5 years, the truck is going to be sold for parts. The frame is rusted beyond repair along with the rockers, corners, bed sides, etc. it's just too much to patch. The lack of care (and undercarriage carwahes) from the PO killed this truck in the end. 

It caused a good amount of heartache when the lifter collapsed around 150k miles but fixing it was easy and it ran excellent after. I had to replace a number of parts but parts are plentiful and cheap and this thing is a breeze to work on. I still love these trucks and wish I had the funds to replace it with a southern rust free example, but I just don't want to spend 20k on a vehicle pushing 15 years old. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t6VNCM29N9mvsmy7Q5UZN7q7cwgPe0Fi1S7eTDZdrynpwhkZwonHdEzizUg2Bxwg