1 2 3 4
Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
5/6/21 9:01 a.m.

This thread reads like 4 people telling 4 car stories simultaneously and I can't quite keep up but it's enthralling. 

I find the comment "everything I love is now worth money" especially poignant as I tend to love cheap garbage but even cheap garbage is now expensive. 

Keep up the good work! 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/6/21 9:52 a.m.

Forgive me I'm a pretty damn good car builder, okay driver, average at best storyteller, and terrible writer. I do have entirely too many projects going on at once and I haven't even begun to post customer builds in this thread. 

Quick car synopsis: 

AWD Ep3 SI: Met an untimely end over the weekend. Drivetrain will be re-purposed in something maybe a challenge car. 

Green/Good Integra: Best gift I've ever given someone. Leaving it alone letting it do its old Honda thing and be fantastic 

White/Bad Integra: Apparently needs some engine work... Has gotten way out of hand. 

Black 335i: waiting for an ECU and my ambition to work on it

White 335is: Recently had an $1100 car wash performed... I don't get it but it sure is pretty now

Yukon: Sturdy just sturdy. Smells like nature and coffee after the weekend.

Lots of BI content coming in the next couple of weeks as it transforms from beat daily to competitive and safe MF rallycross car. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
5/6/21 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

No apologies necessary, I love it! It reads like we're all hanging out having a beer in a shop somewhere. 

I'm not complaining at all I think it's great. 

RE the $1,100 BMW car wash - that's normal right? Seems like just BMW things. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/6/21 3:32 p.m.

The IS isn't mine but to my understanding, it was fully scrubbed and ceramic coated for $1100. PHG works in the detailing biz' and it genuinely perplexes me how much people spend to keep their cars clean. I love that she was able to turn my 335i from black to slightly darker black but apparently they get $3400 for this service... I had no words

In reply to Byrneon27 :

So what happened to the Ep3? I'm wondering if that drivetrain could be stuffed into a Fit...

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/6/21 5:09 p.m.

I'm trying to abide by the only part of the SCCA solo program I dislike, and not discuss or publish anything. I'll speak my peace in a sentence... We do a disservice to ourselves, our sport, and our community when we pretend E36 M3 doesn't/can't happen. 

Broke a tie rod end mid corner while my co-driver was on a flyer. The car did its job, despite the unpleasantness that always accompanies unbuckling while upside-down within seconds of getting out of the car he was laughing and thanking me for the cage. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/6/21 5:14 p.m.

Fit K swaps are totally a thing. The uh sorta fit. 

https://pbomers.com/k-fit/

We're trying to figure out/apply a value to Batcivic we're going to nab the drivetrain for the civic truck for the $2000 challenge

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Ooh, ouch. Glad the cage did its job. 

I'm wondering how much surgery it would take to stuff the AWD setup into a Fit also. It would be pretty sweet if it could retain a mostly stockish interior - especially the rear magic seats. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/7/21 8:12 a.m.

Similar to the EP3 from the chassis perspective, you're making a trans tunnel. Fit does have some space down the driver's side for the exhaust I don't know if 3" will fit but certainly better than an EP3/RSX exhaust job. 

The rear suspension is all twist-beam meaning lots of room and at least two good sturdy mounting points. You're definitely building stuff here as well but I imagine it's totally doable. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/12/21 11:39 p.m.

Thus begins my decent into total madness. Girlie needs a head gasket (or has a cracked sleeve but ignore that) 

Thing is light! 1.5" tube for a stage rally cage light. Still I'm a 1.75 kinda guy. 

Quick buy the goopiest B20z2 LKQ has... Take it apart because of the goopy factor... This is where the project begins to get out of hand. Keep in mind this car is registered for an event in like ten days

Hey Dave ya think I can turn a P75 head into something worthwhile? Early on in my Honda days he assured me I'd never have to port another head... If you want to know two days of work and several hundred dollars of components make it flow almost as good as the crummiest Vtec head you can find and cam selection is poor at best. Really think about it like a backwards srt4 head... It's not totally hopeless but it's very close. 

Great news Dave! The head is ready to go to the machine shop... Uh I found a B16 head... Great! Save us from this turd. 

Hmmmmmm no cams... What say ye Facebook marketplace. The most agro "tuner" cams (Jun copies, basically stock low cam profile, totally ridiculous high cam profile) if you're out of high school or not desperate don't buy these. Thankfully only an hour east of the head... Was that inner 'hood Newerk yes yes it was. 

Wait... I'm going to have to expand the valve reliefs in the pistons (non vtec heads have 31mm intake valves and the reliefs are cut as such)

Wait... B16 heads on B20z blocks have super disappointing 9.6:1 compression

Who will overnight pistons... Nobody. Who has pistons... Nobody. Back to Facebook. 10mi further into the 'hood there's an ad with no words that depicts a set of 84mm 12.5:1 pistons... Let's call

Here's what I left with

Machined/girdled/block guard B20b block.

Ycp 12.5:1 pistons

Full compliment of King bearings.

Gates racing is timing belt

Gasket set.

Itr intake manifold

Half a skunk 2 alpha header

New ARP head and main studs (basically gold everyone is out ARP is backordered until July) 

B series awd trans 

Box if E36 M3 I didn't open yet supposedly a built LS head. 

$500

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/21 2:45 a.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

I get the impression you don't sleep much :)

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/13/21 5:45 a.m.

I uh I do not. Dave has always pointed out to me there's like a direct correlation between how miserable I am at any given point and how fast the racecars are and I'd love to argue with him but well he's right. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/13/21 4:33 p.m.

I love these guys super flexible, bent this whole thing up, tossed in a roof hoop diagonal, gussets, and other odds and ends for less than I could buy the material from my local steel yard. Recommended a southern VA gas station with gas. Really couldn't say enough. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/16/21 6:09 p.m.

Grown up Legos. Thing fits like a glove. 

Good suspension refresh. Brakes didn't go to plan we need calipers which I failed to order. On the hunt for some 94-95 Legend or 96+ NSX dual pistons... Failing that I'll toss on the same old Accord calipers over mini rotors. 

Once he took all the bolts out it came right off

The start of a pretty wild NA build. PR3 B16 head. Skunk2 Stage 3 (the big ones) cams

Don't know why Yong Chang pistons makes me laugh so much but well it does. 

How do we feel about general automotive musings here? I have a humorous story about failing to buy a running, driving, not wrecked/stolen $8000 NSX

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
5/16/21 6:45 p.m.

I think humor will be hard to find in a story about failing to buy an $8k NSX....Horror perhaps....

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/17/21 5:00 p.m.

Back in my younger days I sold Cadillacs (Buicks and GMCs too but that detracts) now here's what's incredible about the car business... If ya aren't a total dolt it's easy to make some serious money... Way too much money for a twenty year old to have. Also despite what I had constantly been told before entering the workforce these people were big fans of certain uh chemical personality enhancers. Car dealerships are exactly how you think they are super toxic but pretty fun behind the misery. 

Anyway my enthusiasm for pretty ladies was a secret for almost a full day (I'll tell the "wait does she have a kid!?!?" "She does now" test drive story some other time) being young and single there were a half a dozen fifty year old dudes living vicariously through me. One day one of them leads me into his office by my tie and shuts the door... 

"If she comes in here and shuts the door don't talk just pack your E36 M3 up" 

"Huh" 

"Go look in the bullpen. You're welcome and make sure it's worth it before you open your mouth" 

I go scope out the situation. Sitting at my desk is 20 year old me's dream girl. Over time we become uh friends and while I never got fired two detail guys and a finance manager did. 

How does any of this relate to cheap NSXs... Well after about four years of making tons of money for these people they passed me over for a promotion. I take all kinds of crap from women, family, and racecars but I tolerate pretty much nothing from employers. Driving down the strip for the last time I pass a sun-faded beat looking NSX while it catches my eye my head isn't there. 

My former boss tries to teach my ways to the other guys. They all got agro fired. My friend ends up becoming a finance manager at a nearby Mazda dealer. I spend every penny I had to open the shop best decision of my life. 

About a year later I end up running to this Mazda dealer for some Miata stuff and quess who is in the showroom. We chat for a bit and make plans for that evening. Driving out of the parking lot I see in a corner parking space way in the back an intriguing shape... A moment to investigate a faded beat green NSX it is... Do I want an NSX yes yes I do. 

"Huuuuuuuuuuun are y'all selling that NSX out back?" 

"What's that"  (she isn't car people) 

"The odd looking dark green car out back" 

"Is it an Acura?" 

"Yes, Acura NSX" 

"$7997. Am I still seeing you later?" 

"YES have paperwork ready we'll go out right after" 

I spent the rest of the day on cloud nine I don't have a ton of good days but this was one! 

That evening I arrive at the dealership $800 truck, borrowed car trailer, $8000 in my pocket, having a moment of clarity about my priorities... I walk in all smiles. A man who I'll later learn was the GSM of this place has a nervous smile plastered on his face. She's gives me a hug and says "let me go grab your car" 

I get nervous we completely destroyed a Solstice trying to teach her to drive a stick before... Did I just buy an automatic supercar? Did someone else more successfully put the "you just shift like this" moves on her? 

What I don't see while I'm considering this is the most immaculately detailed 07ish TL pull up to the delivery bay... 

She bounds in. 

"You're right it is weird looking, come on it'll only take a second!" 

I sit down at her desk and she hands me modern Acura keys... That don't say NSX... 

"Um sweetie this isn't the right car." 

We walk into the showroom, over to the window where she points out the TL...

"Yeah that's not it" 

"It's the only Acura we have?" 

We walk to the used car managers office 

"Do we have another Acura?" 

"Just Paul's but it's not on the sheet" 

"Is it an XS or whatever" 

"Nsx?" 

Overhearing this my heart begins to break... This is like all the money I have and I feel like there's not a discount coming. 

"Tell him $20,000 it doesn't run" 

While it was still a very enjoyable night I didn't buy an NSX or a TL for that matter. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/18/21 9:40 a.m.

Finally a thread with all of Blair's car shenanigans in one place. Keep it up, we all love seeing the updates on all of the cars. 

Very sorry to hear about the EP3, glad you and Dave are ok. That whole don't post things is a bit interesting. It keeps some dignity perhaps, but like you said it is a real possibility, and pretending it's not leads to upset people. In other news, I have a roll bar coming for the Miata! 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/27/21 11:58 p.m.

Can't sleep. Too tired to keep working. Build thread update time. 

Building a B20 vtec in a day is totally possible with the right parts. We did not have the right part. I do have a bunch of footage of B series assembly including building a cool little jig to install press fit piston pins. One day I'll edit it. 

So what do we do? I had a crummy day job week and needed to go racing. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/28/21 12:09 a.m.

We start texting other dealership/shop owners in lonely at 1:59am levels of desperation... Thankfully when it comes to cars I have super low standards. 

One trip to the middle back of the self-care toolbox drawer and we're on the way. 

Drove to the notary in possibly one of the most frightening vehicles I've ever been in 673hp E30 with standard E30 rear suspension bits. Do you want one yes yes you do. 

Drove to the bar in this inexplicablly good E39. Who the hell got rid of this car? It cruises like you can't believe and everything works. 

Next morning... Mild to average hangover (I'm getting old) how to prep giant luxury barge for rallyx? Well we gotta cut the muffler off. Done. Fluid changes? They were all new. Mount up E36 BBSs... No. Apparently E39s have giant hub bores. 

Plan B call my tire guy in a panic. 4 Nokian GRW4s are as close to rally tires as we can get. 

Ummmmmm it's noon and I have nothing better to do? Put the dash together? Holy crap labeled baggies of hardware, nothing missing, nothing broken it practically assembles itself. 

Thing was a riot and didn't miss a beat all day 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/28/21 12:21 a.m.

Driving home from the rallyx I get a text apparently the taillights in GI have stopped working and there are spiders. I'd post the message because it's hilarious but there's an amount of swears I'm willing to paint over and that message exceeds it. Looks like I'm driving an Acura for a minute. 

This story's favorite valley girl is driving a suddenly filthy E39 with a big dead cicada on the dash.

You should always be on the good side of someone who likes to/is good at cleaning cars. It's amazing the sins that can be removed. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/28/21 12:28 a.m.

While we're here... Let's play a little... Does GI remain naturally aspirated? Yes I only have 1 s300. But the way too small primary header that is going to choke BI will make this thing sing. 

I'll actually take photos as I work on it (why is that so hard to remember?)

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
5/28/21 8:08 a.m.

Anytime someone converts a car from FWD to AWD I need to see it. Very cool.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/30/21 6:05 p.m.

Things people make too hard... All the brake you'll ever need (street driven NA Honda occasional track/autox use, yes stock brakes for the bill but stock ain't what we do here) for $200

Big Honda calipers and brackets... Accord, Crv, Element, ITR, etc. If you want dual pistons 94-95 Legend, if you want them to say NSX 91-94 NSX, if you want them to say NSX and be dual pistons 96-99 NSX the world is your oyster here. Napa lists reman 96 NSX calipers for a very attractive price they are not NSX calipers. 

08 Mini front rotors 280mm $40 at Napa. 

Pick your flavor of pads. We're Hawk people around here. You want TSX/Element/Crv pads to make full rotor contact. Prelude/ITR pads have an overhang. 

2 m10x whatever you have a tap for x 16 pan head screws. If you're fancy buy the real Bmw ones. Ace hardware is fine for me. 

Using tapered seat lugs secure the rotor to the hub. Mark/drill/tap the rotor securing bolt hole, no over priced spacers, no freaking out because the lug holes aren't a press fit, just good brakes. 

For these purposes the 15/16" bore every Integra ever master cylinder that AutoZone has (EF/DA/EG people) is fine. Does the 1" bore ITR master feel better? For the cost associated it damn well better

solfly
solfly Dork
5/30/21 7:28 p.m.

Perfect title ha ha! 2 of my favorite things in here though (see sig).

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/31/21 11:25 a.m.

^ my EF should make an appearance soon

We nabbed this up yesterday. I'm semi-ginger, old, and rapidly becoming grumpy looking forward to bringing some indoors with us to the track. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EFo7VznXAHH1ouh7C6PSYaBLqyrEI7OrRia5BKHgLDurJdwfKtQHmQfKeDS1SXeX