1 ... 6 7 8
AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
6/11/24 8:01 p.m.

While the others were off doing important work, I got to do what I do best. Cosmetic work.

I get greif for this frequently but the fact is. At some point I'd like to race on other people's money. And you aren't going to get OPM if your car looks like a wad of used toilet tissue.

We have a possibly homemade strut tower bar that came with the car but wasn't installed for the first event. Not sure why. It was pretty rough, with paint chips and spots of rust. Ian sandblasted it along with the suspension components and I gave it a coat of blue.

simple things but they make a difference.

Compare this to where we started just 2 short months ago.

I'd much rather a potential sponsor see the car now.

During the race we lost one of our fender flares. I was forced to trudge around in the rain and try to recover it. Fortunately I did recover it and the part was undamaged.

Subsequent inspections showed that the whole kit was held on with around 5 self tapping screws and about a mile of double sided foam tape. Clearly that was insufficient. 

Because the fender lips have been rolled and the inner lips of the flares have been trimmed, the original mounting points weren't really an option. After trying a few other methods it became clear that the Liberty-Bunny method was the only way, regardless of how trash it looks.

I set to work bolting the fenders in place.

Clamping the flare in place, drilling 1 pilot hole through the flare and fender, removing the flare, enlarging the fender hole, installing the nutsert, the reinstalling the flare to start the process again.

Incredibly time consuming, but it's the only way to guarantee proper alignment of all holes.

I only got the passenger side done so far. I'm thinking once all the parts are bolted on a bead of RTV or similar seam sealer on the inner lip could bond them to the fender.

Fun fun.

39 days to go.

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/11/24 10:14 p.m.
AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
6/16/24 4:37 a.m.

Another wrench day. The weather canceled by Viking re-enactment so I was able to show up and finished attaching the ground effects.

While I was finishing up the passenger side Jeremy took a shot at straightening out the driver's fender.

It may not look impressive to you, but he did that with a claw hammer...

While I was futzing around with the ground effects Ian and Jeremy wrapped up the engine.

The coolant system was bled, the cutoff switch was rewired to the coil, just a list of pretty basic but important stuff.

Ian added a secondary rear tow hook in the centre to make loading the car on the ramp easier. This uses genuine Ferrari parts.

I also got the rear-view camera installed.

oh yeah... and we fired it up...

we got the car back on it's wheels and ready for an alignment.

See ya in two weeks... 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
7/2/24 12:21 a.m.

Welp, She's "ready"

Swung by the Broke-N world headquarters for a wrench day to find everything pretty much done. Alignment was good, everything was ready. We slapped a PCV hose on and got the car ready for a test drive. We have not tested the new transmission so we don't know if it even works.

I tossed a go pro up in the mount to test it's location as well.

It ran, reverse and 1-4 work, we didn't get going fast enough to hit 5.

It's loud. 

That camera position is not going to work. I'm currently shopping for another mount. If I can get it lower, like right over the driver's shoulder, just poking around the edge of the seat it would have an amazing view, but not block the driver's view.

In other news:

The rear view camera is installed and functional. This and the additional mirrors should really improve out situational awareness on track.

I did a bit of research into this car and found that 20 years ago this car did a 1:36.799 at PIR. So that is our benchmark.

At least one of our drivers will be at PIR this Friday for a track night. Hopefully a few more will tag along.

Another of our drivers will be attending a wedding out of state during the next race, so will miss Saturday, then be hauling arse back to the track to take the green flag on Sunday. So kudos to him.

19 days to go.

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/3/24 1:30 p.m.

Omg it sounds like butt now lol

I will happily order a cheap muffler. 2.25"?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/3/24 2:43 p.m.

In reply to dr_strangeland :

Free muffler and pipe offer still stands. I'll even deliver to PIR. It's like ten mins from my house. It's the one that is neither new nor shiny below:

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/24 3:09 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

Thanks, I think that might be a bit big to fit under the back of the car.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/3/24 3:17 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

That tracks. It took up a lot of room under the samurai.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
7/15/24 10:15 p.m.

Well, we're here again. Four days out. Ian and I got together on Saturday for some last minute stuff. Going through the spares, figuring out what we need and what we don't. putting together a checklist so we don't get there and realize nobody brought a jack.

Could you imagine that? That would be silly.

the car itself is ready, save for the new camera mount I have to install.

the ramp truck got some brackets for the race ramps.

So... that's that.

She's ready to load. we're doing it again.

Portland, prepare to be Broke-N.

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QVlcVn25C3nALgFdvYkENeakm55FWGy8dDq4AcVWXgckUJI6etcsWq083qrOeN0P