1 2
JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
1/17/22 9:11 p.m.

Congrats on getting it running.  It sounds pretty good.  If you need a Stromberg carb from a '76 TR6, let me know.  I'm fairly certain I'll never use it as a carb.

oppositelocksmith
oppositelocksmith New Reader
1/17/22 9:59 p.m.

Congrats Gumby! 

What part of the US are you in- I just realized/remembered, a Triumph friend of mine is selling off a cash or TR7 parts.

68TR250
68TR250 HalfDork
1/18/22 8:36 a.m.

My go-to for TR7 parts was Matthews Foreign Auto Parts in Birmingham, AL.  Rimmers has (had) great catalogs with great illustrations.  When I had mine I found that new TR7 parts were high priced compared to the 250.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/22 6:45 p.m.

In a moment of weakness, BHJ decided he would sell this TR7 to help fund a HS band trip to NYC/Philly in the fall. Discussing quick ways to make the transaction profitable, painting the wheels and bumpers was at the top of the ROI list. We grabbed a couple cans of paint and waited for proper weather with a target of having the car listed during tax refund time.

During the process and the waiting, BHJ came to his senses and got a J O B instead, but we already have these cans of paint here.....

We also knocked off the excess tail pipe from the rubber bumper cover delete

After the little video with the engine running and the car moving under its own power, it refused to start again without adding fuel externally so last week BHJ pulled the carbs for a more indepth cleaning

Bowls definitely full of crud. One needle valve stuck, both screens plugged. I am tired of pushing the car in and out of the shop, so hopefully once these are back on it will motivate on its own again.

oppositelocksmith
oppositelocksmith Reader
6/13/22 6:53 p.m.

I cannot see, are those 175cd's. If the are, I can look through my parts stash to see what I might have for them (I don't run ZS's anymore on my TR). 

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
6/13/22 7:38 p.m.
oppositelocksmith said:

I cannot see, are those 175cd's. If the are, I can look through my parts stash to see what I might have for them (I don't run ZS's anymore on my TR). 

Ditto.

gumby
6/21/22 7:54 a.m.

They are 175cd's and they are back on the engine again.
I'm sure the idle passages are still gross as it gets really unhappy with the throttle plates closed, but keeping it above 2k rpm it drove itself out of the shop and into the storage garage.

Plans going forward are still undecided regarding how many dollars he wants to sink into this engine.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/21/22 8:38 a.m.
gumby said:

Plans going forward are still undecided regarding how many dollars he wants to sink into this engine.

Ford 302 stroked to 349

Just sayin'

this too

gumby
10/10/22 10:32 p.m.

The TR7 has been on hold mostly due to the amount of time marching band takes from BHJ's schedule, but we have been gathering parts!

Mustang wheels means we need 4x108 stuff to hang them on. We met with a friend of mine who had some 4lug stuff he hadn't much luck selling, and traded some 5lug stuff I had which is much more marketable.

31sp 8.8 with 4.10's and a spool, c-clip eliminators, and extended wheel studs in aftermarket axles. Some housing braces and the diff girdle. Should do nicely after we swap out the spool, and have plenty of strength for many years to come.

The plan is to get the suspension done up and spend a bit more time on the stock engine. Are the older 175cd's less smog laden? There are multiple vac ports and hoses with caps and plugs on this engine. Swapping to older carbs may be simpler than trying to make these happy.

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/11/22 10:17 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

Im not sure there is any difference between early and late ZS carbs as far as I can remember. You might have better luck taking them apart again and blasting compressed air through all the ports. Also double check you have no vacuum leaks around the rubber block between the carbs and the intake manifold, thats a big leak point as the rubber ages. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/11/22 10:45 a.m.

Gumby, This may not be the time to mention it, but a buddy of mine here in NC has 3 TR8 and lots of spares he is trying to liquidate. $10k for all three cars (race car, street car, parts car) and engine/drivetrain parts.

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/12/22 10:39 a.m.
stafford1500 said:

Gumby, This may not be the time to mention it, but a buddy of mine here in NC has 3 TR8 and lots of spares he is trying to liquidate. $10k for all three cars (race car, street car, parts car) and engine/drivetrain parts.

More details? 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/22 1:56 p.m.

Yes, more details!

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/22 8:34 p.m.

TR7 AN dherr: If there is some interest, shoot me a direct message via the forum and i can get you in touch with him. The cars are located near Charlotte, NC.

gumby
1/22/23 12:59 p.m.
gumby said:

Hopefully the car can stick around longer than my first car did, and grow with his changing desires as he learns his way around.

This did not age well.

More as things happen; anyone interested in a TR7?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AvsEq8zldSljobHv4h6xRXLhgDx5MgCUU4S28aCBsF2AV5jbigqAsyTHN1ga62RP