1 ... 5 6 7 8
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/12/15 8:21 a.m.

You have the patience of Job.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/12/15 10:32 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: You have the patience of Job.

I'm not sure about that. I think that's its more that I'm too stupid to quit.

I've been trying to work in my shop but physically I haven't been able to do much. I get working then get out of breath and have tightness in my chest. After my heart attacks in 2014 I'm paranoid about having another one. Hopefully I will get that issue taken care of soon.

I have looked for pictures and drawings for the original frame. I have not found any. But, I am not trying to build a replica so I am not attempting to recreate the original one.

11thHour
11thHour New Reader
1/13/15 12:41 a.m.

In reply to jmc14:

http://www.bernimotori.com/images//parts/bodywork/ABA%202854%20windscreen.jpg

Is this the correct windscreen for the early car? for sale on Italian site.

Tim

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/13/15 7:59 a.m.

Yes, I think it is. I contacted them awhile ago and they wanted 5000.00 euros plus shipping. Needless to say I am not going to be using their windscreen.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/15 8:21 a.m.
jmc14 wrote: Yes, I think it is. I contacted them awhile ago and they wanted 5000.00 euros plus shipping. Needless to say I am not going to be using their windscreen.

Holy crap. Looking at that site I was wondering how much $$$ for all those parts.

tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
1/26/15 6:52 p.m.

As luck would have it, I have a Transworks MiniDiff and a possible engine choice: Honda ST 1300. V4, 120 hp, 5 sp, shaft drive output. Based on the measurements mentioned above, it seems like it'll fit. Not Hyabusa performance but man, is it beautiful! Just imagine 4 little stacks poking up out of the rear cover - like a half-pint CanAm!

URL=http://s119.photobucket.com/user/tygaboy/media/photo4.jpg.html][/URL] URL=http://s119.photobucket.com/user/tygaboy/media/photo1.jpg.html][/URL]

erohslc
erohslc Dork
1/27/15 6:44 p.m.

Hmm, I wonder if that would fit under a Spitfire hood?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
1/27/15 8:38 p.m.
erohslc wrote: Hmm, I wonder if that would fit under a Spitfire hood?

I bet it would.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/27/15 9:22 p.m.

That's a really cool set up tygaboy!

What is the length from the axle center line to the front of the engine and overall height?

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the name of this thread. I misspelled the name Abarth and I think that I should change the name to reflect the version that I'm putting together.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/27/15 10:00 p.m.

I think thread titles aren't changeable... Or that's what I have heard.

Maybe a moderator could do it though?

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/28/15 9:42 a.m.

I really like the way that motor looks.

tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
1/28/15 12:55 p.m.
jmc14 wrote: That's a really cool set up tygaboy! What is the length from the axle center line to the front of the engine and overall height?

Hi John - It's Chris from CA, we chatted by phone last weekend. (Consider me commited to one set of body work, please!) I'll get some exact measurements and additional pics posted this weekend. For now though: the ST 1300 motor is about 24" tall as you see it. Air box would be above that. It's about 24" wide, too. The issue is that the driveshaft is offset by about 4" to the right side. So, it's offset the motor or the diff. Or, try and build some sort of 'transfer case' to keep things symmetric, which is my preference. I'm noodling on all that and will keep you posted.

URL=http://s119.photobucket.com/user/tygaboy/media/photo5.jpg.html][/URL]

erohslc
erohslc Dork
1/28/15 1:57 p.m.

How about weight?
I'm assuming it's not too heavy, but how about a number?

Does the shaft turn in the correct direction?
If so, to transfer power to a central shaft, a chain or belt would be best.
If not, then a gearset would do.

Quick change racing gearsets come in many ratio, can easily handle the power, and are fairly inexpensive. For example:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Winters-Quick-Change-Gears-10-Spline,1284.html

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/28/15 4:56 p.m.

In reply to tygaboy:

I like that too. Interesting that later versions of the engine are designed to be stressed members of the bike frame... which may provide potential to offset whatever weight increase this would have over a 'busa 4.

How much of a problem the output location is may depend some on dimensions. Being a V4 and theoretically fairly short, it may be far enough from the diff to allow for a CV axle to make the centerline difference.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/28/15 8:26 p.m.

Chris, Thanks for posting pictures of the engine and Mini Diff. It was great to talk to you and I have you on the list. I've had a bunch of medical tests this week and a meeting with my Cardiologist on Friday. I'm hoping to get the green light to get back in my shop. I'm bored and have to get to work!

What is the rotation direction of the engines output shaft? What is the gear ratio of the Mini Diff?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/29/15 7:09 a.m.

I wonder what you'll find if you pull the back cover off of the engine? i.e. a set of gears to move the output offset... Maybe it's modifiable to center it...

tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
1/29/15 6:57 p.m.

I don't want to hijack John's thread so for now, let me just say the engine turns the correct direction. I've peeked behind the cover and, as with everything, if I apply enough time and money, I'm sure I can center that output shaft. A set of gears/chain set up would surely be faster/cheaper.

That said, a part of me is pulling in the direction of 'cost no object' so I started poking around and found: The Motus V-4 'BabyBlock' 160 hp, 163 lbs. No transmission so I could bolt it to my transaxle of choice. Looks to cost just over $10k. No, I haven't contacted them...yet. All I have to do is convince my lovely wife that a centered output shaft is worth $10k! How hard can that be? URL=http://s119.photobucket.com/user/tygaboy/media/photo5.jpg.html][/URL]

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/29/15 7:38 p.m.

That engine is sick looking!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/30/15 8:37 a.m.

In reply to tygaboy:

Wow... I need moment...

I'd love to see a version built with that engine... although after all's said and done, I think I still lean towards 'Busa power. Just something about how those things sound and what that would be like in a car... raising the rear shell and seeing a white ceramic coated bundle of header...

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/30/15 9:28 a.m.

That Motus should awesome too though. Look up so videos. It has a NASCAR sound about it.

On bike engines, a quick rule is chain output on the left and shaft output on the right gets you the correct spin direction.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/30/15 9:30 a.m.

The Motus website has three audio clips of the engine. It sounds mean, but it doesn't sound like a slinky, low-slung 1960's small bore Italian sports racer to me. I too would think the sound of a 'Busa engine would be more fitting for the car.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/30/15 9:31 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT6VuEHKNBw

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
2/20/15 11:10 a.m.

I'm sorry that this hasn't been a build thread. I started working on the molds and found that I couldn't continue. My body is failing me.

This week I took the rear clam shell to a good friend of mine that is a great body man. He's painted all of my cars. I've hired him to refurbish the molds. I'm hoping to be able to pull a body in time to exhibit it a the Kit Car show in Carlisle.

tygaboy
tygaboy New Reader
2/21/15 8:58 a.m.

John - I'm so sorry to hear about your setback. Take care, have faith and know we're all sending our good thoughts and prayers your way.

Chris

DLD
DLD New Reader
2/21/15 2:04 p.m.

John, I'm new to this forum and just today read through this thread. I'm really sorry to hear about your health issues. I'm 61, and fortunately have been lucky not to have any myself. It's too bad we live on opposite coasts (I'm in Northern CA), as I have many years of experience building composite molds and parts. I love the small prototypical type cars from this era, and would love to be involved. I hope your health improves and you can see this project through. Take care,

DLD

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uHuigRNOny85b0PxJZbZVXXmnA12zOIkKbkrCiHr2pHXO7lePcobkHL27FD7NugQ