1 2 3
deutschman
deutschman New Reader
5/5/14 9:21 p.m.

Your going to be like the Lotus guys I see at the track with the crispy license plates Very nice build. It must be so much fun!

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/5/14 10:03 p.m.

Incredible attention to detail! It looks amazing!

olpro
olpro Reader
5/7/14 11:02 a.m.

Thanks for the comments. On the license plate, it actually keeps cool because there is a small airgap to the muffler (which does get too hot to touch). Here is more electrical. I have never done this kind of thing before so it took me months to sort it all out, one section at a time

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/14 11:27 a.m.

Ha! Is that a flux capacitor image on the ECU?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/7/14 11:38 a.m.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me chime in, but those seat belt mounts look iffy to me.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
5/7/14 12:16 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Ha! Is that a flux capacitor image on the ECU?

That's what I thought too! Awesome!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
5/7/14 7:43 p.m.

Great craftsmanship! This is looking really awesome, thanks for sharing.

What tach is that? I really love the look of it.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
5/7/14 8:56 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me chime in, but those seat belt mounts look iffy to me.

Look high to me, yeah
DISCLAIMER: In no way an expert, running on information gathered when putting a harness bar in the miata

olpro
olpro Reader
5/8/14 10:44 a.m.

It is tough getting Plutonium for the Flux Capacitor :)

On the upper harness mounts – these are forged steel 3/8” bolts rated at 1200 lbs each. I assume there is a safety factor with that rating and they should actually be stronger than that. The alignment is as good as I could get given the conditions (one can’t always get a drill motor into the perfect position) and the line of action is good but not perfect (the 1200 lbs rating assumes a true vertical loading). There are two of these bolts on each occupant and they are responsible for the upper body part of the harness, not the main forces at the waist. Still, if I were ever to race this thing, I would want to redo this mounting. A bigger safety issue in a front collision is the fiberglass hood shell which is a big concern in that it would be driven back into the occupants’ midsections. I am thinking of cutting crosswise slots in the panel at the front wheel centerline to create a weak point.

This vehicle is in a constant process of refinement and modification and I am extremely grateful for your comments and criticism to help guide the effort.

After I cleared the DMV inspection (to get an assigned VIN) and the Brake & Light Inspection, I was sent to the CA Bureau of Repair (BAR) for final clearance, Not surprisingly they insisted on some stone throw protection, at least at the rear, and a windshield with two motorized wipers. This is a difficult design because custom cut AS-1 laminated glass is not readily available except in flat sheets – which create a difficult & vulnerable shape when fitting to the hood. Remember the entry-exit conditions prevent me from moving the windshield rearward very much. I worked out the shape with various templates (starting with ½” MDF for accuracy). The final templates were ¼” like the available glass. The design has steel side brackets made by grinding one side off a ½” square tube to make a channel and cutting and welding the sides and base from steel plate. Lots of Bondo to make it all look better. The center support was important and also provides the mirror mounting.

olpro
olpro Reader
5/9/14 3:49 p.m.

Final on windshield... The Fenders!

olpro
olpro Reader
5/9/14 3:51 p.m.

I am going to try to close out this thread. The project has been a lot of fun and a tremendous learning experience for an old guy like me. I love being able to drive this car around the neighborhood. Tomorrow (Saturday) I will be taking the car to the San Diego County Building for the event celebrating the new park there. Among their many great events is a car show sponsored by the Wounded Warriors group, probably the best organization I could get behind. If any of you San Diego guys are around, I would love to see you down there on Saturday, 10-5.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/9/14 6:16 p.m.

I plan to use those same folks for my windshield. They are right down the road.

Did the kit come with axles, or did you order them? If so, where did you get them?

olpro
olpro Reader
5/9/14 6:28 p.m.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/ They were fine once they got the right info from RCR. This was arranged THROUGH RCR although the first shipment was Mitsubishi parts (obviously an error which RCR had to absorb : (. Sanders Repro Glass (Pennisula} is TERRIFIC - fast, accurate, fair priced.

olpro
olpro Reader
5/11/14 10:46 a.m.

I attended a car show sponsored by Wounded Warriers at the San Diego County building park opening yesterday. This was on the waterfront and a spectacular venue. On the way home I saw an Ariel in my rearview mirror so we pulled over and compared notes. By the way, someone asked about my instrument package. It is a Koso unit.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/11/14 10:53 a.m.

nice finish!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/11/14 11:09 a.m.

I just went to the RCR site and they listed the Razor as out of production till further notice. Is there a problem that you know of?

olpro
olpro Reader
5/11/14 11:44 a.m.

They suspended production of this kit months back. I presume that it just wasn't turning out to be a profitable kit - that the cost of production was too high for their price or what they thought they could get. They do have a number of other products upon which they are concentrating.

olpro
olpro Reader
6/7/15 8:28 p.m.

This is an update with some new stuff. - side view with new graphics, rear wing - interior with sound system (Polk Audio speakers, Pioneer head) and my “signature” on the glove box - auxillary radiator (Monte Carlo heater core), plumbed into the header circuit

olpro
olpro Reader
9/4/15 3:25 p.m.

Update: Here are a couple of videos recently done on this project. https://youtu.be/FErbt4aDQ9A https://youtu.be/7ULdn-zE8Ss

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ooathshtxX8aoiPJPh9uETti5qDvPOTBd3Beo6NgYLpyeARuCkrBHhw4wS7XPhs1