1 2
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
12/11/18 8:22 a.m.

Mark Smith, founder of Factory Five, has started company selling kits to convert cars to trucks...inspired by Andy Neuman?

Check out his site...note smyth spelled with "y"

Smythkitcars.com

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/18 8:27 a.m.

An interesting niche for sure.   When will the G8 kit be out? 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
12/11/18 8:33 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

True dat.

Maybe caters to people who want to build own car/truck without starting at ground zero?

That being said the Dodge Charger truck conversion looks cool

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/11/18 8:37 a.m.

Probably. Mark left around the time the 818 was being designed. He started with the G3F being a chopped up A4 Jetta/Golf with the engine in the back. Then came the Ute kits.  There is even a charger(?) kit. 

wae
wae SuperDork
12/11/18 8:52 a.m.

You weren't the last person to know, but I might have been!

That Charger conversion makes me feel funny.  Like climbing the rope in gym class.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/11/18 9:03 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I knew after you did.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
12/11/18 9:26 a.m.

Smyth Charger

NickD
NickD UberDork
12/11/18 9:54 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

I hope not. G8s are rare on the ground to begin with. Don't need them getting cut up for a kit that looks like absolute garbage (Maloos are cool, but if his kit looked anything like the Charger one, no thank you)

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/11/18 10:00 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Smyth Charger

Ok I've definitely seen that before, but didn't know it was the factory five guy

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket Reader
12/11/18 10:25 a.m.

UTES!

now if we could just import the XR6 utes from the Aussies... *sigh*

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/11/18 10:35 a.m.

I thought Smyth made VW conversions? I didn't know they had a charger version. I also didn't know there was a Factory 5 connection.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/11/18 10:39 a.m.

Meh. Not impressed.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/11/18 10:46 a.m.

Mark Smith sold his stake in Factory Five about a decade ago, letting his brother assume full control of the company.  His first Smyth Performance project involved trying to use as much MKIV VW as possible (including interior and electronics) to make a quick-to-build, DIY mid-engine sports car.  The first Smyth thread around here dates back to 2009:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/factory-fives-new-tdi-concept/16612/page1/

Here on the forum there's been a ute build thread that has some detail here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/vw-jetta-smyth-performance-ute/135595/page1/

but a lot more detail here http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/16930/best-project-car-of-2017-volkswagen-jetta-smyth-performance-ute

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/18 10:51 a.m.

Even though I’m not a big VW fan if I could find a cheap TDI beetle I wouldn’t mind having a little truck.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
12/11/18 12:07 p.m.

I’ve been considering a Charger conversion but with all of the other projects in the shop, it’s just the wrong time. I think that they all look cool in their own way. I’m probably the “odd man out” in that though. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/18 12:13 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Can’t you just buy the parts from Oz?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/11/18 1:00 p.m.

https://www.smythkitcars.com/charger-ute

"as I buy the components for the next car the costs are amazingly low"

Welcome to Mopar buddy!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/18 1:07 p.m.

Just sayin...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/11/18 1:30 p.m.

I like them, and with the tendency for trucks to get larger and larger, I think they could fill a real niche in the market for people who need a truck but don't want to park something larger than many zip codes.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/11/18 1:42 p.m.

HMMMMMM.  There's always a bunch of chargers locally here on govdeals. Seems like an ex-cop one would make a perfect starting point.

damnit.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/11/18 1:44 p.m.

Didn't know about the Utes, first one I ever saw (even thought about building one) is their Jetta.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/11/18 1:47 p.m.

Is the answer really always Miata?   

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/11/18 4:09 p.m.

I've toyed with the idea of a HellCamino hemi project myself.  I wonder with airbags, it'd haul enough or tow enough for my needs....  I also think it'd be cool to have a manual trans, but the Chargers weren't really made with manuals in mind.

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage New Reader
12/11/18 6:38 p.m.

Since this has turned into a Ute-off... How about this Prius we saw in NC last month?

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
12/12/18 2:01 p.m.

Alright, when is the first 6 wheeled Mazda Miata going to appear on this thread with a hot tub in back?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7Natk4bwuvDe9uYb95TocXEMOCsumuCnP8saJ3aKRzolZTvq1XHCWk5Z3q14zTfe