1 2 3
Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/22/21 9:45 a.m.

Excellent!

That was fun and educational, as usual! Thank you.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
10/22/21 11:55 a.m.

This project has me thinking about tackling the rusty sills on my MSM.  So thanks for that.

Nice work as usual.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/23/21 5:46 p.m.

OK, I lied. It was not quite done. But now it is. Really.

Moral of the story is "Never pick at that scaby bit to see what is underneath". Never ends well. 

Anyhow, the good news is that it was not a complicated repair and alls is well that ends well. 

This bit was on the top of the inner sill just outboard of the seat front. I saw a bit of rust bubble and was going to just ignore it but poked it with a screwdriver. Then I saw the light.

Hard to unsee that, so out came the death wheel and I made a big hole

You can just see the other scab at the top of the picture where the ground cable exits the frame. It is right above the jacking point  and pretty much below the seat. But once again, once seen, can not be unseen. Out comes the death-wheel

The jacking point below is not pristine as you can see, but as I have been using it to support and lift the car during the work, it seems to be holding its own. A repair would get complicated because of access to remove and replace. Going to leave it alone and deal with the issue of water getting into the cabin.

Out comes the tape and the deathwheel and we make a patch. Talk about using the whole buffalo, this is the last bit of tin from a 4'x4' sheet of 18 gauge that I bought for the project. 

Fitup for buttweld, weldy-weldy, grindy-grindy and seam seal to keep water from finding any pinholes I missed.

riley1489
riley1489 New Reader
12/18/21 10:16 a.m.

So my post here is well past due. I am the owner of this Montreal based Riley one-point-five. 

I want to thank Pete for paying attention to my requests.  He may make it look easy but his 'modesty' only attempts to conceal his skills.

The car drove home as it should have, it is tucked away for the winter months. Now I am planning for the next 50 years of on the road.  surprise

@ turnerX19,

The car will see a 1800cc transplant. The 3 main early MGB engine is 'plug n play' and uses the mechanical tachometer drive. Under bonnet will appear to be all Riley still!  wink 

This new engine will require a more robust differential and axles so an early steel wheel  MGB rear end will also be fitted. A relatively straight forward fit, welding of spring perches and wheel spacers should see this done. I may need to do something about the prop shaft, but will see when I get there. 

Thanks again to Pete yes and I am pleased you chaps enjoyed the experience here.

Bruce

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
12/18/21 10:30 a.m.

Keep us updated on your progress sir.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
12/18/21 6:49 p.m.

I suspect the drive shaft will need a little shortening. Well worth the effort though, this will be a super ride.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/20/21 9:01 p.m.

In reply to riley1489 :

Hey Bruce...missed this post until Tow-Truck Doug mentioned it to me. 

Thank you for the kind words. The Riley served as a pleasant distraction for me when I needed one, so I guess I owe you a beer down the road for that. Things are progressing as well as can be expected on our end and hopefully we run into you in the new year.

Do drop a post as the drivetrain swap moves along as I am sure you will have challenges to overcome.

Pete

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kB65q9mxCIVv2fR3Xa7bHZQClf8X56tJxdmqKTqI30X8OMUyAIFCMdxg2TbvAKEj