1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/27/19 2:37 p.m.

Purchased a "running vehicle" with a clean title from the year 2000 with 65k miles on it for $1453 today... haven't seen it yet. Trying to send my father to pick it up tomorrow. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/27/19 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

Enquiring minds want to know!  

Is it faster than a Saab 9-3 w/ 2.0t ?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/27/19 3:41 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yes, it is faster than that in at least 1 category by far. That is hauling mulch, bet your Saab can’t hang with it. 

2000 ford ranger v6 manual transmission 65k miles. Can’t wait to try my mustang wheels on it.  

I did did manage to go see my RX7 the other day. First time in months. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/27/19 5:41 p.m.

Oh. My favorite...

A nice rack on a small frame! 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/28/19 5:14 p.m.

My father giving me the details, making me nervous. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/29/19 5:59 a.m.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/29/19 6:00 a.m.

Does the Ranger have the 3.0L V6 or the 4.0L V6? 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/29/19 7:00 a.m.

3.0 v6, just normal surface rust. Can I replace the clutch budget exempt after my wife destroys it trying to learn how to drive? 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/29/19 7:35 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

3.0 v6, just normal surface rust. Can I replace the clutch budget exempt after my wife destroys it trying to learn how to drive? 

How will we know she actually learned, if she doesn’t come to challenge and make a drag pass in it?  devil

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/29/19 7:39 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I can’t afford for her to take off work. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/29/19 7:40 a.m.

According to the rules of you replace it with a SFI rated clutch then yes. 

Edit. Nope. Thought it was listed as a rotating part but it's not.

The Reese Rule: SFI-approved harmonic balancers, SFI-approved flywheels and SFI-approved flex plates are budget-neutral. These parts are dangerous rotating assemblies that should be treated with respect. Any intact harmonic balancer, flywheel, or flex plate listed on the budget may be exchanged for a duplicate SFI-approved part without increasing or decreasing the budget. “Duplicate” is defined as having the same listed application as the standard part in a major parts catalog. In situations where a standard part is not present to exchange, fair market value of the standard part may be used.

SFI-approved transmission shields, SFI-approved flex plate shields, and SFI-approved bell housings are not rotating parts, and are not budget exempt. You may still be required to use one or all, depending on your car’s construction and E.T. in the drags.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/29/19 10:28 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

Just wait until after the challenge to teach her.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/29/19 11:00 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

Can I replace the clutch budget exempt after my wife destroys it trying to learn how to drive? 

I think this depends on how good of a clutch you have right now.  My opinion, is that you can not be expected to just let the car sit and wait for that late day in October to actually use the vehicle.  You might have to use the vehicle as a DD.  You might need to run it for work.  You might need to use it as your only autox'er for practice.  You might need to teach your wife stick.  

If the vehicle today has a good, fine and working clutch but 4 months from now, before the competition, the clutch goes bad, then it is my thought that you can replace the clutch at no budget hit.  This does not mean that you can replace your stock clutch with a carbon, dual disk, super competition clutch.  If you has an OE equivalent then you could replace it with an OE equivalent.  

But, if you the day you bought the truck, it has a bad/weak clutch then any improvement to that clutch would have to be added to budget.  

To me this is an adaptation of the alternator rule which intends that while driving to the event, your previously good alternator goes bad then you can replace the alternator with another with no budget hit.  This attempts to assure that a part failure on the way to the competition does not prohibit you from competing because your budget will not absorb the needed part.  

Of course, superseeding all the this is the rule that reads, "don't be a dick."   

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/29/19 6:45 p.m.

Going to get myself into the CAM class, I have RE71r on a set of mustang wheels that fit. Just going to start driving it around and make sure it runs properly.

Taking suggestions for suspension kits.

Anyone need a fancy ladder rack? 

Stampie
6/29/19 7:01 p.m.

You going to swap in a 8.8 LSD?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/30/19 9:35 a.m.

Its not an Andy Neuman build thread without a before picture in front of the building with the blue stripe. I may update this later when I have better light. 

I need to go buy one of those fancy portable carpet cleaners. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/1/19 9:00 a.m.

You'll be happier if you pull all of it and scrub it properly with a LOT of water to rinse. It's summer, let it dry in the sun. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/1/19 10:13 a.m.

I have great success with a Bissel Little Green Machine, Tuff Stuff Cleaner and a scrub brush.  As noted, the secret is to use a whole lot more water than you think you might need.  The Bissel machine will discharge clean water but I rarely use that function.  I add the water from a larger container so that I can add copious amounts of water.  I also have this clear squeeze bottle shown in this pic which is like a catsup/mustard bottle for adding a little more detailed water.  The Bissel machine is really just used to extract the water.  

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
7/2/19 6:16 a.m.

Went to register the car last night, copart didn’t fill out the title paper work correctly. 

Edit: Looks like I’m driving back to copart in my “free” time.

Edit: giant hassle took 45 minutes for copart to give me a stamp. Buying a notary stamp on eBay. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
7/3/19 7:04 p.m.

Picked up my first load of mulch today. I also finally told my wife we bought a truck. She likes the truck, not the ladder rack. She is not a fan of lowering it to turn it into a race truck. First day of manual transmission training didn’t go great. 

Stampie
7/3/19 10:33 p.m.

I teach beginners this way:

Push on clutch pedal and brake pedal. Slowly let off clutch until you feel the car slightly pull against the brakes. Let off brakes (car starts rolling) and then slowly release the rest of the clutch. Great thing is it works on hills so it alleviates the anxiety about rolling back. The other thing is to repeat "You're doing good honey!" about every 2 minutes no matter how well she's doing. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
7/5/19 6:17 p.m.

That feeling when your wife takes your potential challenge car as her own. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
7/9/19 3:22 p.m.

One rack off ready for sale. Getting my roof done this week at home. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/19/19 8:24 a.m.

Hey Andy, that spitfire I offloaded to you..

heres some inspiration in the making...

I gotta say, considering my experience autocrossing with a CVT with the FM, this idea is even better than the normal bike engine car I had envisioned.  How are they going to make the rear end live? I have no clue..

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
7/19/19 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I really need to build a shop like yours next to my house to work on all my projects and “be at home.”

Ordered parts for the ranger. Going in a different direction.  

Edit: Changed the air filter today. Found this mess, looks like someone was eating their sunflower seeds in the airbox.

This means I can get one?

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tdvmnvU8PQ9XQLLBeXoMrhJCnrszWiXOWOkNJSc7ovh0aQEhDMzagACcUAwu09T3