1 2 3 4 5 6 7
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/11 9:02 a.m.

aussie, i'm glad to hear the car is working out so well for you. before the miles pile up too far, please find out if that engine is interference or not. i was looking at an older model to flip, "needs timing belt". did some research and found lots of stories of destroyed pistons.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
9/28/11 12:34 p.m.

As much as I like the new Elantra, I think my heart is leaning towards the new Accent hatch.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
9/28/11 10:31 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: As much as I like the new Elantra, I think my heart is leaning towards the new Accent hatch.

I don't think the Accents are any lighter, or more fuel efficient.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
9/29/11 12:42 p.m.

What kind of MPG are you guys getting at 80 MPH highway?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
9/29/11 1:10 p.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: As much as I like the new Elantra, I think my heart is leaning towards the new Accent hatch.

It's about 2-300lbs lighter than the Elantra. It's 400lbs lighter than my current elantra and makes 2hp more.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
9/29/11 1:11 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: aussie, i'm glad to hear the car is working out so well for you. before the miles pile up too far, please find out if that engine is interference or not. i was looking at an older model to flip, "needs timing belt". did some research and found lots of stories of destroyed pistons.

Hyundai's using timing chains on all the new engines now with the exception of the Touring.

jstand
jstand New Reader
9/29/11 6:05 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: What kind of MPG are you guys getting at 80 MPH highway?

I know with the auto in mine I get 32-33 mpg running at 80 mph ( and the variations in speed that go along with traffic).

I find that the variations in speed hurt mileage more than the actual speed, regardless of how fast I drive.

For example a rainy commute where traffic varies continuously between 50-65 mph will produce low 30's mpg, but running a steady 75mph on cruise will be in 35-37 mpg range.

My best tank has been 37.8 mpg, and the overall average is 34.5 mpg since new (14,000 on odometer now). That's mixed and commutes with average speeds ranging from 65 mph on some days to 80 mph on others.

The same driving produced a best of 24 mpg on my 2003 forester and 22-23 mpg average.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/29/11 7:53 p.m.

I do not speed in this car and Ohio has 65 mph limits so I haven't had it at 80 mph so no help there.

I get 40 mpg average every tank in all conditions with AC on or not.

Accent and Elantra are both EPA rated at 40 mpg highway

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
9/29/11 7:54 p.m.

thanks

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/29/11 8:12 p.m.

Mileage definitely does drop off over 57/58 mph, so I imagine that trend would continue up to 80 mph

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
9/30/11 2:24 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
DaewooOfDeath wrote:
It's about 2-300lbs lighter than the Elantra. It's 400lbs lighter than my current elantra and makes 2hp more.

Really? I thought they were both about 2600 lbs. Just checked and you're right. 2650 vs 2400 ish.

Merc
Merc New Reader
9/30/11 10:42 a.m.

I remember in '98, I was consider buying a Tiburon and went for a test drive. The car felt basically the same as my older Civic, except newer and with a lot less headroom. The salesperson let me put it through its paces and afterwards I noticed there was white smoke coming out from the vents. I asked him, "what the hell it that?!" He replied "Oh that's normal." Well if smoke normally comes of the vents of cars, I think we'd all have some sort of cronic lung issue. This was my impression of Korean cars for the next 10yrs. There was one time when the Chinese made the best Ramen noodles on the market, and now that title belongs to the Koreans. There was a time when Samsung devices were cheap inferior versions of Sony, and now they are pretty close to being equals. There also was a time when I loved American BBQ and now I have an obcession with those little Korean BBQ riblets. Than earlier this year I went to California and got an earlier model Elantra rental car and was quite impressed with its ability to be a decent commuter car. Now this model comes out and actually looks good, gets good milage and has a Prius-like drag coefficient of .26 . It just makes me want to get one now. Damn those Koreans and there ability to now finally get it.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
9/30/11 11:16 a.m.

Nothing to add here other than I had an old model Kia Rio as a rental last week - stark reminder of how far Hyundai and Kia have come over the past couple years. The old model bears no resemblance to their newer stuff - I'm amazed at how much they've improved quality while keeping the price low.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/25/11 8:19 p.m.

35K trouble free miles.

Got my new Blizzaks mounted this week.

Not bad for a work appliance

Bobzilla wrote:
DaewooOfDeath wrote:

But the Elantra is rated by the EPA for the same mpg and my experience gives a solid 40mpg average per tank.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/2/12 3:19 p.m.

Running H Stock FTW on OEM tires may I add

Photobucket

Mounting the winter rims and tires

Photobucket

Rear discs work for me

Photobucket

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
1/2/12 3:22 p.m.

Have i told you how Jelly I am lately? lol

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/2/12 3:24 p.m.

I have only love for you Bobby, you definitely steered me right.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
1/2/12 3:31 p.m.

You're not the first, and you won't be the last. I just need to start getting commission checks from Hyundai and Kia.... I've helped sell over a dozen of their cars so far!

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
1/2/12 6:49 p.m.

What the hell is that in the wheel well? Looks like a dead bat or something.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
1/2/12 6:58 p.m.

It's called "snow". We have that up here.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
1/2/12 7:01 p.m.

Oh I vaguely remember what thats like lol

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/2/12 9:34 p.m.

Oh 42,162 miles as of 01/01/12. No non scheduled repairs required, still averaging 39 to 40 mpg every tank.

Photobucket

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/20/12 8:41 p.m.

Nearing 52K, no changes and no problems to date.

Photobucket

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/20/12 8:45 p.m.

So, still like it?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/12 8:51 p.m.
Merc wrote: I remember in '98, I was consider buying a Tiburon and went for a test drive. The car felt basically the same as my older Civic, except newer and with a lot less headroom. The salesperson let me put it through its paces and afterwards I noticed there was white smoke coming out from the vents. I asked him, "what the hell it that?!" He replied "Oh that's normal." Well if smoke normally comes of the vents of cars, I think we'd all have some sort of cronic lung issue.

Actually, it was normal for Hyundais.. they had some GREAT airconditioning units that would spit fog at you on a hunid day

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QJ16aouVwc5m4pfbDqEEj0jAhQpho5PweiWXO8rRWPBAG3hfcUXimSUjEXFaUmxr