1 2
dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/21 12:58 p.m.

2.7 S motor crated and on it's way later today!

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/27/21 1:53 p.m.

I miss my 914 so bad and can't wait to see where this goes.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/27/21 2:48 p.m.
corsepervita said:

You own a crazy Lamborghini, that makes me really think I want to keep this one!

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/27/21 3:25 p.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter) said:
corsepervita said:

You own a crazy Lamborghini, that makes me really think I want to keep this one!

I think the 914 is a special car.  No power brakes, no power steering, interesting EFI system for its time.  Just a floor pan with wheels, handles great, still able to be maintained by someone who wants to learn how to do it.  Still gotta gap your points.

They're like a time machine to the way a drivers car should be back in the day.  Absolute joy to drive, and own.  We took it on road trips, autocross, commuted in it, you name it, that car was an absolute blast.  You also just don't see them anymore.  I haven't seen one since maybe a year after I sold mine a long time ago.  So nice to see them on the road.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
9/6/21 6:07 p.m.

The 911 motor will be here tomorrow, so excited to see it in the flesh. I picked up a set of these this weekend on the 914World forum, as well as an oil tank, so will be chasing the motor mounts and figuring out a front mounted oil cooler but should have most of the hard parts soon. The guy with the 911 suspension still has not come through yet, but hoping that deal will still be available as that will give me a complete 911 suspension, 5 lugs and brakes.

Got these for a good price, 16x6 and 16x7 for the rears, so will look good with the wide body kit. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
9/10/21 2:45 p.m.

So a fork in the road..... While I have been selling off all the unneeded 4 cylinder parts (exhaust, heat exchangers, rebuilt engine), the one item that has been hard to sell has been the rebuilt 2.0. I know GEX does not have the best reputation, but at 1/2 price you would think someone would take the risk.

So 3 hours before the auction was to end on Ebay (and countless messages from people trying to buy it for less than the $1,500 asking price), I decided I was not going to sell it for $1,500 and instead bid and won this to install it in.

It was only 25 miles from my house, after watching the Youtube video, I was convinced this was the real deal. I looked at it over lunch today and it will be an easy car to get back on the road, play with a little and then sell to fund the 914/6. Of course,  now I am kicking myself for selling off the 4 cylinder heat exchangers cheap as now I need a set! I'll probably convert it back to chrome bumpers as I don't care for the fake 916 look but body and interior are excellent. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
9/11/21 9:14 a.m.

That is the appropriate answer to what to do with a spare motor 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/11/21 7:02 p.m.

Indeed!

johndej
johndej Dork
11/15/21 7:45 p.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter)
12/21/21 9:17 p.m.

So been working on the Porsche  when I have had a few spare hours, primarily fixing the previously "properly repaired" hell hole. Sure it looked okay, but under the red paint was fiberglass patches. The car had two cuts in the longs, that made sense once I dug deeper into the rust damage. Fortunately the longs were intact and not compromised but needed to be carefully patched up with actual steel. This combined with a "hell hole repair kit"  from Mad Dog Motorsports and a new jacking point and it will be solid for another 100k miles.

I'll post some pictures and then this goes to the body shop for new paint/paint correction. I have been collecting the parts needed to finish it, need an exhaust, picked up used heat exchangers and some misc stuff and this car will be running and driving by late winter. I will likely put the chrome bumpers from the other 914 on it and refinish the 5 lug Fuchs and with the rebuilt engine, this should be a nice 914 2.0. Funds from the sale of this car will fund the 914/6 that I have been collecting parts for all summer.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
12/23/21 9:24 a.m.

Here is the "properly repaired" hell hole repairs that I removed. Basically galvanized steel and globs of fiberglass.

I had to rebuild the long on the end where it had been cut out. Fortunately there was enough left that it still was intact and the doors had not sagged . Some grinding and finishing but happy with how it turned out.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/23/21 2:05 p.m.

I have a transmission that was rebuilt by Mike at Evilwerks.  My 914 project is going nowhere so I may start to part out.  I also have a set of 914/6 rear calipers that need rebuilt, new Bilstein front struts for '78 911, a like new gas tank,  a bunch of other parts.  I'm not at home to confirm everything but I will be back Jan 14.

I sold the 3.0 911 SC motor I had.  The cost of a rebuild was WAY more than I could tolerate.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
3/8/22 2:05 p.m.

Car has  been repainted and is getting reassembled. Engine is also almost ready to go. Excited to be able to drive it soon and have some fun with it before it gets sold off to finance more projects.

Had to cut the fender to fix the "hell hole" properly.

Rest of the body was solid once I repaired the long where it had been cut out. There is no such thing as a rust free 914, but this will be a decent example once it is done.

Engine assembly almost ready for the car, just need a few items to arrive so I can get it over to the bodyshop this weekend.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/22 3:46 p.m.

I missed this thread the first time around.  But I'm in to watch the build on that 6 cylinder!  That blue is gorgeous!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
3/8/22 3:52 p.m.

The red 2.0 car is merely a distraction, but will still be fun and a desirable car for someone. With a 5 lug conversion, 914/6 Fuchs, new paint, rust fixed and a new 2.0 it should be a really nice example. But I am with you on the 911 powered version, as I really can't wait to get started on that build. Won't be until the fall, but been collecting all the parts, so I'll have most of it soon. I love Alaska Blue Metallic on these cars, really looks classy on a 914. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
5/5/22 11:46 p.m.

Car is back from the paint shop and sitting on some nice Fuchs I picked up at the big Carlisle Porsche show last weekend. Will get it running and finished in June once the TR4A is delivered to my customer.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rWNg705Hv01K3GcjAEhGqQCrW3ux8TpTOrdWjj6LI3TEk6PcG0qRiMl718wkllTH