Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/22/21 11:20 a.m.

Im glad to see this back! 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/22/21 1:43 p.m.
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) said:

Too late at this point but I wonder if this place has any adapters for that engine..

https://www.rx8gearboxadapters.com/

Adapters don't really help in this case.  The transmission is part of the problem.

One of the reason to use this engine is because it bolts right to the camaro t5 and has a .72 5th gear.  That means I can turn just over 3k rpm at 80mph.  The stock gearbox would be over 4k at 80mph.

wvumtnbkr
9/23/21 6:47 a.m.

exhaust hackery to see if I can make stock manifolds kinda fit....

not sure how these pics are gonna show up...  one of them shows the manifold in the car.  Not sure I like it well enough to keep.

wvumtnbkr
9/24/21 1:48 p.m.

Gah....  post deleted...

I've decided that home made headers are the way to go...  Should be much better in the long run.

I took a chance on an ND miata steering joint for the rx8.  I moved the rack and the column was no longer long enough.  This makes the column about 3 inches longer AND gives it about 2 inches of adjustability. 

You can see the difference between rx8 and ND miata in the pic.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/24/21 6:44 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

took a chance on an ND miata steering joint for the rx8.  I moved the rack and the column was no longer long enough.  This makes the column about 3 inches longer AND gives it about 2 inches of adjustability.

Nice find!

wvumtnbkr
11/14/21 7:28 p.m.

This still exists...

I got the engine and Trans mated for hopefully the last time.

wvumtnbkr
11/14/21 7:29 p.m.

I also got the subframe clearanced for the steering knuckle.

wvumtnbkr
11/14/21 7:33 p.m.

I got the oil cooler lines removed and made a lot of space to get the engine in and out.  Good stuff. 

I also got the exhaust manifold flanges installed and the motor mount plates all figured out with CAD.

I'd like to have the drivetrain mounted and be able to order a drives haft around Thanksgiving.  I still need to work on the racecar for barber in December.

wvumtnbkr
11/15/21 8:22 p.m.

So, I didn't get the engine set in place tonight...  but, I did get it hooked up for tomorrow.

wvumtnbkr
11/16/21 6:49 p.m.

Who's into fitness?

I am!

I'm into fitness in here!

wvumtnbkr
11/16/21 8:20 p.m.

Anddddd.....

wvumtnbkr
11/16/21 8:21 p.m.

Offset about 1.5 inches towards passenger side.  Helps exhaust routing and shifter positioning.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/16/21 8:29 p.m.

Looks great! I've always thought the 3900's intake looked so cool. It's even better pointing the correct direction.

wvumtnbkr
11/16/21 8:36 p.m.

It is rather phallic.....   still, reminds me of the grand national symbol. 

Let's see how long 240 hp keeps me engaged.   Maybe I paint one side like the GN symbol when I add a rotary muffler to it! 

wvumtnbkr
11/16/21 8:40 p.m.

I feel like this has been a good week of progress.   I know what I'm doing for engine mounts.   I have the material.   Just need time to do it instead of drinking celebration beers and watching Australian supercars....

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
11/17/21 12:26 p.m.

How am I just seeing this?? Strong work thus far!!

wvumtnbkr
11/28/21 6:17 p.m.

So engine is in and sitting on its mounts.  Pics tomorrow.

The Trans is connected to the stock, but heavily modified power plant frame.  

I'm not sure I am in love with it.  I might add a Trans crossmember as well and tie it to the ppf.  We shall see...

I am gonna have tight clearance for the driveshaft....  might need further modification once a shift gets here.

wvumtnbkr
12/1/21 9:27 p.m.

I got a list of everything I still need to buy to get the car finished.  

It's about $700 worth of stuff (not counting custom ac lines).

I will have a fully functioning rx8 with the exception of traction control and cruise.

I spent 1000 on the car.  150 on the Trans.  200$ for the engine is possible.  Don't remember what I paid....  400$ for the harness and ecu and tuning.  Odds and ends and steel was about 75$. 

Sooo, I think it's possible to do this swap for less than $3k including buying the car.

240 hp / 240 tq....  in an rx8.  Should be a fun car!  Plenty of room for a rotary muffler too!

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
1/26/22 5:47 p.m.

Any progress on this? This has peaked my curiosity after driving Dusterbd's 3400 Miata. I think the RX8 would be a more useful car for my needs and seems the 3900 swap is pretty straight-forward.

wvumtnbkr
1/26/22 7:09 p.m.
untchabl said:

Any progress on this? This has peaked my curiosity after driving Dusterbd's 3400 Miata. I think the RX8 would be a more useful car for my needs and seems the 3900 swap is pretty straight-forward.

Yep, lots of progress.  I'll update later tonight.

Entire drivetrain is sitting in my garage getting fabrication finalized.

Teaser....

wvumtnbkr
1/26/22 7:13 p.m.

Also, I need to bring my 3500 powered rx7 up to an autocross and challenge Michael to a mazda 60 degree powered shootout!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/26/22 8:10 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Also, I need to bring my 3500 powered rx7 up to an autocross and challenge Michael to a mazda 60 degree powered shootout!

Bring it!

Or, run the rockingham roval with us! Motorsports for the masses is the club i work with there.

wvumtnbkr
1/26/22 8:21 p.m.

We gotta coordinate schedules and actually hang out for once.  Lolz.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/22 8:54 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I wanna come and hang out with the cool kids.

wvumtnbkr
1/26/22 11:04 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I wanna come and hang out with the cool kids.

Yuss! 

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dvNfZfcQnw53hy1h6EJa6D0y6tvxb1MCPw0Q9cWSvBJegr2ApxnKPp7SisU8AQ5H