1 2 3 4
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/21 3:06 p.m.

On 7/13/21 I started this thread, which culminated in my calling dibs just 10 days later on a 2010 Saab 9-3T owned by forum member cdowd.

While not a Southern car, it is pretty clean by Michigan standards. We shook hands on a price, and yesterday AK2 and I went to close the deal, R&R the pads and rotors, and drive it home.

BONUS:  pilotbraden, GRM forum member and all-around interesting guy, is a lifelong friend of cdowd and he hung out all day as secondary supervisor during the brake R&R.

It hadn't seen much use lately so the rotors had a lot of rust on them. Not sure why I didn't take pix of the "before" state, other than because I *never* seem to take pix of the "before" state. Anyway, here's a "during". Getting rid of dirty brake fluid is always at the top of my list:

Her name is Inge, and she's a Swedish beauty. Drove great on the way home, and came with a trunk full of spare parts:

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/23/21 3:53 p.m.

I hope it serves you as well as it has us for the last 10 years!

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
8/23/21 3:54 p.m.

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
8/23/21 3:54 p.m.

Brakes in progress at my place.

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
8/23/21 3:56 p.m.

It was a pleasure to spend the day with AK2, Patrick and Braden.  All great people.  No other way to sell a car.  It has been a pleasure from start to finish.

8/23/21 3:58 p.m.

Posting from Secretary of State branch, probably the first time I've ever gotten a title so quickly after purchase. I checked at Noon and they had a 4:40PM available at the branch about a mile from home. Having the title in my name will be nice but, as we all know, there's only one universally accepted proof of ownership:

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
8/23/21 4:11 p.m.

Looking good!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
8/23/21 4:11 p.m.

Beautiful. Spoiled having a lift to work on, too! 

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
8/23/21 4:19 p.m.

It would not have been fun on jack stands in the driveway!  The amount of blue locktight on some of the bolt was suprising.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/21 6:03 p.m.

Nice car!

8/23/21 9:43 p.m.
cdowd (Forum Supporter) said:

It would not have been fun on jack stands in the driveway!  The amount of blue locktight on some of the bolt was suprising.

He's not lying.

8/23/21 10:08 p.m.

Being a variant of a GM global platform means shared parts are cheap and plentiful. Centric rotors and pads for all four corners came in at under $200. Aside from the loctite, nothing really fought me too hard during the brake job. Well, except the LF rotor that took quite a beating to break free of the hub. And the anti-rattle spring on the RR that fell victim to galvanic corrosion and broke off both ends in the aluminum caliper body. No worries, I drilled new holes parallel to the old holes, and popped the new spring in place.

with the brake job behind us, we finished the paperwork and chatted for a few minutes before heading home. Sunday evening traffic was jam-packed on 75 South (it's a Michigan thing), so my supervisors for the day led me through part of Flint and pointed me in the right direction to run parallel to the big road for several miles. It was nice to become familiar with the car on the two-lane vs the Interstate. She runs and drives really well. Seats are comfy, road noise is surprisingly low, stereo sounds nice, and the AC had me smuggling raisins in no time in the 90 degree heat.

When I got home, Mama wanted to take her for a spin. We jump on 275 and she pins the throttle, and starts giggling at how quickly we were at 90+. It's too early to tell, but I think AK2 might be getting stuck with Mama's 200k Odyssey. Strangely enough, they're both 2010s and they're both silver.

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/24/21 1:29 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Her name is Inge, and she's a Swedish beauty. Drove great on the way home, and came with a trunk full of spare parts:

Cool!

Swedes are quite relaxed with gender identity and most work places are in some way HBTQi-certified, but Inge (with an "e" at the end) is generally a male name. The female equivalent is Inga :-)

However, she is free to call herself whatever she wants ;-)

I like this Saab platform, and I suspect in time it will be quite highly respected as one of the better driving Saabs.

Gustaf

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
8/24/21 3:28 a.m.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
8/24/21 3:31 a.m.

I have a picture of the left front rotor(posted above)

I think it is not reusable

8/24/21 3:51 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

So much hammering.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
8/24/21 5:55 p.m.

"and the AC had me smuggling raisins in no time in the 90 degree heat." so....... I googled raisins...BWaHahahaaaaa  yur killin' me smallz .....I had never heard that ever!!!! This marque IMHO should still be in existence .....love em......great score congrats.

8/30/21 10:47 a.m.

Love this car. Comfortable, smooth, enough power, decent styling. She got detailed this weekend. Glamour shots below.

9/11/21 7:18 p.m.

Oh no, first issue with the Saab: AK1 tells me the driver's window won't stay up. It goes to the full up position then reverses direction and drops an inch or two. Sounds like a limit switch issue to me, haven't had a chance to look into it yet. Anyone have similar issue and any wisdom to share?

10001110101 New Reader
9/11/21 7:28 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Sounds like anti pinch to me. Found the following on Saab Central:

Put the window all the way down keep holding thr button down for 3 seconds then put the window up and keep holding the button for 3 seconds after it reaches the top. Repeat this 2 or 3 times and you will hear a beep.. boom solved

9/11/21 9:17 p.m.

In reply to 10001110101 :

Gonna give that a try in the AM, thanks!

9/11/21 9:56 p.m.

Note to self: right rear tire pressure low warning today. placard calls for 35 psi, my gauge says 31. Inflated to 35, warning went away. Posting this as T=0 for when/if it shows up again.

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
9/12/21 6:52 a.m.

With the window.  It is the anti pinch.  Put window all the way down and have someone push on the top of the window while you put the switch in up position.  If you have questions text me.

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
9/12/21 7:05 a.m.

9/12/21 2:38 p.m.

In reply to 10001110101 and cdowd:

anti-pinch reset did the trick. Thanks!

also made a couple of surprise and delight discoveries today. I did not know, or at least did not remember, that the rear seats fold down:

and I never noticed this cup holder built in to the front of the rear seat cushion:

I like this car a lot.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TAUcvFTbew0b93VQioY1GxTdCNp1BpSrHZaQReteEwDPxKIiQ89obXcAOrOr7lFI