1 2 3 4 5
Joseph
Joseph New Reader
8/18/18 11:26 a.m.

Finally back at it....

Started to swap over everything from the original 1300 to the 1500 sourced from an X1/9. The oil pan and pick up and clearly different. So are little things like the thermostat and various accessory brackets.  I need to locate a header and intake/carb setup ASAP. Only option may be to source parts from Europe. I posted WTB adds in the fiat fourms but no luck yet. Anyone out there have a DCOE or DCNF Weber setup for a Fiat SOHC?  

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
8/18/18 1:25 p.m.

Look up stoles race shop.

There is a nice X1/9 header available, but you would need to modify it to work, I might use that one, when I ever get back to my 128 vintage racer.  I think Vicks sells the X1/9 header.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
8/18/18 1:30 p.m.
Joseph
Joseph New Reader
8/22/18 8:09 p.m.

The X1/9 had a cast aluminum oil pan. The 128 appears to have a stamped steel pan which is shallower than the X1/9 variant.

X1/9 oil pan removed to make way for the steel 128 pan...

As a result the pick-up foot on the oil pump had to be swapped over. Also, the breather vent oil return tube is also 128 specific (it is shorter).  The only other item other than the oil pan itself is the dipstick. The X1/9 block has an aluminum dipstick holder threaded into the block along with a much longer dipstick. I think I am going to remove the holder (as the 128 came) and use the shorter 128 dip stick.

The 128 breather vent oil return tube is shorter than the X1/9's...

Cleaned up, swapped oil pan, distributor and a new thermostat...

New aluminum cam gear and new water pump...

New water pump and housing, new 128 specific water tube and bypass hose to thermostat...

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
8/22/18 10:27 p.m.

I wonder if you could stuff a 1608 in there. Block looks the same just the head is a little bigger. You could even convert it to the block driven distributor.  Might have to look into a 128 after I get my two 124 spiders done.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
8/23/18 5:25 a.m.

The 128 and X1/9 engines are mounted at a slightly different angle, that is why the oil pan and the oil pick up is different.   You might find a cast aluminum 128 oil pan but those might not be factory original parts.   But a lot of stuff from a X1/9 can be used, since that car was basically made from a 128.

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
8/23/18 10:12 a.m.

In reply to TED_fiestaHP :

I'd love to find a reasonably priced Alquati unit....

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
8/31/18 11:28 a.m.

Picked up a Ziotti intake with twin Dellorto FRD carbs.  Probably going to be a hassle to get running right, but looks pretty cool!

tdrrally
tdrrally Reader
8/31/18 11:43 a.m.

love it!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
8/31/18 11:45 a.m.

I've got zero experience with the FRD carbs, but it does look nice! Should pick up some power with the duals too. Keep up the good work!

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
8/31/18 7:19 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50HAh0GNrgk

Not mine but this is how it should sound....

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
9/2/18 2:47 p.m.

Awesome!  Glad to see one of these little cars getting some love and attention. I am really enjoying this thread/build!!

I have such a weakness for 60's and 70's Fiat cars.  I spent 2 years in the late 80's in Sicily when I was serving in the Navy.  Naturally those vintage Fiat's were plentiful and cheap in those days. Young guys like myself didn't have a lot of money, and needed transportation, so a lot of guys bought them.  They had (probably still do) a reputation as crappy cars, and, to some degree they were.  The build quality and choice of materials was often........questionable at best, but despite those handicaps, some of the engineering was excellent, particularly in the drivetrain.

I earned a lot of extra $$ "Flipping" ( that term wasn't what it was called back then) cars while I was there.  People would buy one, drive the crap out of it for 2 or 3 years and then have to sell it before they transferred back to the US.  Certain quirks of the law (Status of Forces Agreement) meant that most of the time, once an American servicemember bought a car from an Italian, they could only sell that car to another American servicemember.  I lost count of the cars I owned and sold while I was there, but a lot of them were Fiat 124's 127's, 128's 131's and 132's.  I came to respect the engineering guys in Turin. The rest of the car might rust to the ground or fall apart, and the electrics were terrible, but those engines......  A few simple tools, and you could fix almost anything that went wrong with one.  I have a particular love affair with the Aurelio Lampredi designed DOHC 4-cylinder series of engines found in the 124 and 131.....such a sweet engine and the SOUND those thins make.... To this day the '74 124 Sport Coupe with the 1800cc engine is one of my favorite out of all the cars I have ever owned.  That thing was a blast to drive!!

Looking forward to seeing how your 128 turns out!!  Now I just have to keep myself from trolling Craigslist looking for old Fiats...... If my self-control fails and I wind up with one it will be your fault!!!  smiley

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
9/2/18 6:09 p.m.

In reply to mikedd969 :

I'll gladly take the blame!

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
9/2/18 8:14 p.m.

This is the X1/9 header available from Vicks fiat.  You can see how it would need to be modified, but could be easier than having to build the entire header.  Other option is to have one shipped from over seas, possibly Italy.

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
9/2/18 9:26 p.m.
Joseph said:

In reply to mikedd969 :

I'll gladly take the blame!

LOL!  I think I am safe. smiley  Unless a 124 Sport Coupe pops up in my area....then all bets are off!!!  I doubt that's going to happen.  They were never imported here in big numbers.  I've seen very few for sale, usually restored or very good condition examples, with prices to match.  I can't say that I have ever actually seen one here in the US. The spider was the only 124 variant that sold here in significant numbers.   

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
3/1/19 9:54 a.m.

Ordered a header from Italy. The quality isn't the greatest, but at this point, beggars can't be choosers. Pics to follow.

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
7/8/19 2:37 p.m.

Well this just happened. In the process of sourcing parts for my 128 I ended up buying another one!

chrisbarnett01
chrisbarnett01 New Reader
8/11/19 5:51 p.m.

This thread is very helpful, as I also just purchased a 1978 Fiat Rally, but mine is a sedan.   There is a bit of debate over whether or not Rallys were available as a sedan, but it has all of the rally parts a US model would have.

It had been parked for 18 or 19 years, but I towed it home, swapped batteries, added a bit of fuel to the carb, checked oil, and it started right up on the first attempt.  Even the brakes work, as does everything electrical except headlights.  Quite a score for $250.  

I am going to clean the tank, change all hoses and belts, and sand out the body rust to get a patinaed look.  Interior needs some sorting but I can deal with that easily enough.  Tires

Does anyone in this thread have the procedure for the timing belt change?   Is there is a reference or list anywhere of part numbers for belts, hosed, plugs, etc?  Oil capacity?  Etc.  

Thanks, and sorry for the hijack!

coexist
coexist Reader
8/12/19 5:08 p.m.
Joseph
Joseph New Reader
9/29/23 12:10 p.m.

So I'm resurrecting this thread. In the process of building my 1978 128 I ended up finding a 1975 model in about the same condition. I like the older body style better so I decided to switch my focus to the other car. It is still a yellow two door...

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/29/23 10:45 p.m.

Score! Good to see you back and with another 128. Time for the serious side of life and get this bad boy up and going.

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
9/30/23 2:31 p.m.

Removed the bumpers, installed the 128 Rally style grill and installed some vintage Carello drive lights.

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
10/3/23 11:18 a.m.

I lowered the back by using a set of wheel stud spacers for a Yamaha Blaster. They are 10mm x 1.25  which matches the oem threads coming off the lower controll arms. The kit I bought was designed to widen the track of the ATV 5 inches.....so the spacers are 2.5" each. I just threaded them onto the existing studs and reattached the perch that rests against the transverse spring.  

Here is what the spacers look like. ...

I just cut the front springs for now and ended up cutting nearly half the coils off to get the height I wanted. There is minimal travel now so I am going to get a set of rear strut assemblies from an X-1/9 and see where that locates the front end. 

Before cutting front springs:

After cutting:

How it currently sits.....

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
10/3/23 11:26 a.m.

Ride height is looking really nice. Do you have any pics of the rear suspension and how you used the spacers? I have no experience with 128 rear suspension and would love to see how it works. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
10/3/23 11:36 a.m.

those have such a cool appearance everywhere they go, love the color

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PExJdgkoPpEY3AhMVk3GTvi257GT8fybinMHb7j4N4soDiJM5pg2497HEjyjwB1z