1 ... 7 8 9 10
Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/25/21 10:39 a.m.

Dont have any new pics, but I worked on the brake drums rubbing the backing plate issue.  Wound up jacking up the rear of the car, taking the wheels off and putting the drums on reversed (what should be in facing out) and with the car on the stand idling in 4th gear ground on them with an angle grinder. A short drive around the neighborhood and leaning on it turning in the cul de sacks had no more rubbing, so hopefully thats a win. 

Also ordered some more parts

• Horn parts - would be nice to get that working.
  • Tonneau cover - want to be able to cover the cockpit when I park it somewhere. Just a barrier to people messing with it. 
  • body fittings for the tonneau - what was on the car wasnt right, so I am making it like it came from the factory. Had to do that or get different fittings for the tonneau so it will fit. 
  • rubber gasket for the valve cover - cork was leaking
  • Aluminum 4 core radiator - I have 2 OEM ones, the better one had a slow leak at a seam that I fixed with a torch and solder, but I want to be able to trust it and more cooling is always a good thing on an old car. 
  • Rubber parts for whenever I get around to fixing up the hardtop. It needs paint and fresh rubber will keep it from messing up the paint on the car. 
  • timing pointer kit - it would be nice to actually set the timing and the advance and all that rather than guesswork with a vacuum gauge. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/30/21 9:24 a.m.

I realized that I didnt get a picture up with the Pegasuses on.  

I also got the tonneau fitted. Its been slow going getting time between work and the kids. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
3/30/21 9:48 a.m.

Looking good!  Make sure you ground your steering rack for the horn to work. I scratched my head for a while on that one.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
3/30/21 10:05 a.m.

I think you'll like the tonneau cover.  Mine didn't get used for the first 20 years of driving the TR6, then I just left it on all the time.  It keeps the interior from getting dirty over winter and while parked.  Good to see this shaping up.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/30/21 10:42 a.m.
JoeTR6 said:

I think you'll like the tonneau cover.  Mine didn't get used for the first 20 years of driving the TR6, then I just left it on all the time.  It keeps the interior from getting dirty over winter and while parked.  Good to see this shaping up.

I always hated parking my miata somewhere and leavign it open with the top down.  I pretty much never leave a car parked with the windows all the way down.  I just worry about someone messing with the car I guess. 

I wanted a way to be able to "secure" (in the loosest sense) the car if I park it and run into a store or restaurant or something.  Also, being able to give it some weather protection while parked was appealing.  I dont have a convertible top for it and might not bother.  I have the hardtop to refinish at some point (and hardware to attach it and new seals, etc) if I know its going to rain when I drive it. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/17/21 12:57 p.m.

Been fettling along with the car.

Took it today out to get a covid test (upcoming medical procedure prompted). 

Recently did a performance air filter for it. The ones made for the SU's would have set me back over $200, I'm in this for closer to 1/3rd of that. 

It's a k&n for a motorcycle application that I used some aluminum plate to make top and bottoms for. 

Been sticker shopping a bit.

Figured out center caps for the wheels that fit, making progress.

And I have a lengthy project list on this.

Parts that I have that will be installed.

• LCB header
  • Performance Muffler
  • Exhaust wrap
  • Timing pointer
  • Aluminum Radiator
  • rear suspension lowering wedges
  • Air horn
  • I rebuilt the windshield wiper motor and got a new switch for it - need to install
  • Next time I meet up with Gimpy - 1.5 ratio roller rockers. 

As you can see in the photo above, I am still working on the dash wiring. Need to button up a few things. parking light location turns on headlights instead of parking lights, no dash lights work, fuel gauge isnt working, adding wiper motor back in, etc. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
12/17/21 1:47 p.m.

Good to see an update on the car.  I hope the medical procedure goes well. yes

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/17/21 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Thanks!  Nothing unusual happening, just a doctor knocking me out and sticking a camera where the sun doesnt shine... Colonoscopy, we either have a thread for that or could start one.  My dad passed from colon cancer at 47, so they have me going early (mid-30's). 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/10/22 3:23 a.m.

Small car perspectives, that huge thing is an FRS. 

Been driving it for local daytime errands when the kids are in daycare. Doctors appointments, to the pharmacy over lunch, etc. The great thing about it is that it makes 65mph feel SO FAST. Makes a mundane trip a thrill ride. 

I have a pile of parts to put on it, but I have most shop stuff on hold while I clean and reorganize my shop. I had run out of floor space just from cluttered crap and was spending longer looking for tools than using them. 

autocomman
autocomman Reader
5/10/22 10:51 p.m.

Nice, I have to go back and read through the tread...I've got a 59 bugeye I dropped a late smog 1275 in, then slapped a turbo on with a 5 speed.  These are one of those cars you do t have to drive fast to have fun.  So good

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
5/10/22 11:10 p.m.

Awesome car dude. I'm glad it's out there getting some exercise. 

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
5/11/22 1:30 p.m.

The car looks good and I'm glad you're enjoying it.  It makes me happy to see that being used.  Watching it sit for over ten years got me thinking several times how much potential it had.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/12/22 12:36 a.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 :

It's an awesome little ride. I've started the hunt for a Datsun 5 speed for it. It's biggest limitation (kids not being allowed to ride in it aside) is the lack of legs to cruise at 65+.  If anyone has a lead on a trans, let me know!

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
5/12/22 1:34 a.m.

I don't recall reading about wiring on yours but I found it is best to run everything through relays controlled by the main center switch. It will save you from cooking it.  I have Hella H4's on mine and an alternator off a Mazda. Plenty of juice and more load had me worried.

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
5/12/22 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Try the classifieds on some place like Ratsun or Datsun NW, they're always swapping stuff back & forth.... :). Too bad a Miata 5-speed isn't an easy upgrade, they're everywhere....

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/12/22 1:08 p.m.
jgrewe said:

I don't recall reading about wiring on yours but I found it is best to run everything through relays controlled by the main center switch. It will save you from cooking it.  I have Hella H4's on mine and an alternator off a Mazda. Plenty of juice and more load had me worried.

When I got the car, the wiring in it was pretty roached and had been hacked up from a engine swap it had years before I had it (IIRC, a Kent)

I got a new harness from british wiring and initially tried to use a generator, but wound up getting an "alternator in a generator housing" unit from British Parts Northwest after chasing charging issues.   When I installed the harness, I put a generous amount of dielectric grease on each junction to help fight oxidation, which helps as a preventative to future problems. I suggest it pretty heartily.  The switch on the dash is new too.

As it stands, I need to tie up the following details.

1. Fuel gauge only reads full despite brand new tank and sender
  2. I dont have a horn installed (have a air horn on the shelf to install and got the collum parts)
  3. Instrument lights arent hooked up and need sorting
  4. for some reason, instead of the turn lamps lighting up on the mid position, its headlights only lit and all the way puts on the "marker lights"

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
5/12/22 2:55 p.m.

I seem to recall the fuel gauge and sender system had changes at some point. They have to match resistance ranges. Some have high resistance meaning full tank and some have low resistance meaning full tank.

I sent mine off to Nisonger to have them go through it. They also converted my tach to electronic since I don't have the generator speed cable anymore.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/12/22 3:47 p.m.
Pushrod said:

In reply to Apexcarver :

Try the classifieds on some place like Ratsun or Datsun NW, they're always swapping stuff back & forth.... :). Too bad a Miata 5-speed isn't an easy upgrade, they're everywhere....

Easy upgrade but you have to bring along the Miata enginesmiley

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/12/22 4:08 p.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter) said:
Pushrod said:

In reply to Apexcarver :

Easy upgrade but you have to bring along the Miata enginesmiley

I'm being a bit funny about this car...  I want to do a 5 speed, I think a BMW head swap would be awesome, but swapping a new engine is too far, lol. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
5/12/22 11:47 p.m.

jgrew is correct on the change in Smiths fuel gauges. They did swap high/low in the 1960s with all of their electric instruments. Regretably Nisonger recently discontinued servicing old instruments. They may have a lead on someone else who does. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/13/22 8:28 a.m.

I'll get a voltmeter on there and see whats up soon

Its got a pretty good to-do list, but its there to be my project.

• finish under-dash wiring
  • Re-do engine compartment fuel lines for neater appearance
  • Re-mount fuel pump with rubber isolators to reduce noise
  • More work on why tires are slow leaking, its mostly sanding/cleaning up the rim surfaces 
  • Alter seat base foam for passenger seat (sit lower in car)
  • refinish hard top (sand down, repaint, install new weatherstrip
  • install upgrades
    • air horn
    • aluminum radiator
    • timing pointer
    • 1.5 roller rockers
    • header/muffler (need to source mid-pipe, looking like I can order from Jegs or Summit)
    • lowering wedges for rear suspension (lube leaf springs while in there, one is getting a bit squeaky)

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
5/13/22 10:48 p.m.

While you have te timing pointer project going paint a line across the harmonic balancer to show if the outer ring slips on the hub. I have had it happen on a fairly new one from our usual supplier.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/11/22 9:24 a.m.

Looks like I've managed to hunt down a Datsun 5 speed should be shipping to me next week. The old transmission was making some funky noises on deceleration so it's probably a good thing to replace it anyway. I really did want to increase the cruising speed of the car though because being limited to 65 mph kind of sucks.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/11/22 9:32 a.m.

Sweet! 5 speed will be an awesome upgrade.

I can't say enough about how excellent your old school upgrades are on this car. Do carry on.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/11/22 11:27 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

Thanks!

1 ... 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tqo6jTMTDWjMzEYCGTPjELlW1m6tEBbaACkSHfigoubUgG5ljxpXH2sdrpfOCj8V