1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29
wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/21/22 7:07 p.m.

So whats the hot ticket for engine painting?  I know prep is the key but what are good paint choices?  Time to go find a Cousin Eddie thread.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/21/22 8:07 p.m.

I prefer the por15 stuff. Not even fire and hot tank hurts it.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
12/21/22 8:25 p.m.
wawazat said:

So whats the hot ticket for engine painting?  I know prep is the key but what are good paint choices?  Time to go find a Cousin Eddie thread.

I feel like we need to see pictures of the engine in order to make an educated recommendation...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
12/23/22 12:14 p.m.

Wait and see how it comes, or ask the engine builder to paint it to spec?

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/26/22 11:53 a.m.

This is a used motor with about 2000 miles on it over 6 years.  I'm buying it from the owner not the builder.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
12/26/22 12:38 p.m.
wawazat said:

Some numbers here on this new mod...

393" Cleveland

444 HP at 5700 rpm
449 lb. Ft. at 4400 rpm(> 400 lb. Ft from 3000 rpm to 5800 rpm)

Spec'd, built, and dyno-tuned by a former EngineMasters Challenge winner.  My swag is roughly double both HP and torque values from my current mild 351 Cleveland.  Pretty excited and should have it in a few weeks.  

Oh!

This is an exciting development  yes

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/26/22 7:45 p.m.

Thanks Brian.  Another one is in close pursuit as well.  Still working on the details but it will happen too.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/22 8:05 p.m.
wawazat said:

Spec'd, built, and dyno-tuned by a former EngineMasters Challenge winner.

Is that the dude at the south edge of Oak Park? I can never remember his name, I want to say Ashby or Aubrey but I know those aren't right.

EDIT: the guy I'm talking about does a ton of heads and rotating assemblies. He balanced MonZora's flywheel for me.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/26/22 8:10 p.m.

I'm not familiar with him Patrick but it sounds like someone I need to know.  

No, this was built by Barry at Survival Motorsports.  He mainly focuses on Ford FE series big blocks (360/390/406/427/428-he actually wrote the book on them) but has worked on a bunch of Ford engines for Engine Masters challenges including a MEL (Mercury Edsel Lincoln big block) and a Y block from what I recall.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/26/22 8:32 p.m.

So I warm up the garage and start on holiday clean-up when I notice this in the floor.  Now being from MI, liquid on the floor behind the tires on a car in winter is never a cause for concern as it's just snow melt...hey wait a second not on this car.  Crap.  Brake fluid.  Brake line or clutch hydraulics.  Crap.  Up it goes tonight for further inspection.  Crap.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/30/22 1:40 p.m.

Wet but not cold this morning in Detroitish-55F!   I picked up the trailer and went to get the Cougar a new heart.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/30/22 1:44 p.m.

Complete from air cleaner to oil pan (custom Canton road race deep Cleveland pan) and from header to header.  Ignition system, flywheel, balancer, pulleys, bomb ass valve covers, etc, etc, etc.  It's squirreled away in the garage awaiting warmer weather for detail and fresh coat of paint.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/30/22 1:49 p.m.

With the accessories in place I now have a back-up PS pump, back up alternator, and back up steel flywheel.   I already have a back-up starter.  After the heart transplant I'll have a complete stock Cleveland for sale.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/30/22 1:54 p.m.

Also, this engine is carbureted and uses the OEM style mechanical fuel pump.  I now have an in-tank high pressure fuel pump for the FiTech TBI.  I'll pull the carb and fuel pump and hold on to them for use during the post apocalyptic times.  

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
12/30/22 2:13 p.m.

Nice!  Those are 11sec 1/4 hp number sir.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/30/22 2:30 p.m.

I'm thinking it should be fun Dave!   A set of CHI aluminum Cleveland heads should net me another 75-100hp as well.   Next years bonus perhaps?

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/14/23 7:42 p.m.

So this came off as did the upper and lower radiator hoses plus the PS pump and dual feed fuel line.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/14/23 7:44 p.m.

Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold which I'll remove and get bead blasted along with the Blue Thunder cast aluminum valve covers   

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/14/23 7:46 p.m.

This engine was almost completely dressed so I net a spare GM style PS pump like I have for my R&P system, spare high output alternator plus carb and fuel system.   

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/14/23 7:56 p.m.

That deep notch in the intake plenum divider is interesting. So is this some kind of  a hybrid single/dual plane intake?

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/14/23 8:01 p.m.

May have been added by engine builder.   I haven't looked at a new manifold of this to see how they are made by Edelbrock.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/14/23 8:04 p.m.

Appears this is the manifold as designed.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/23 10:03 p.m.

Good stuff! Love seeing hot Cougar action.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/14/23 10:26 p.m.

The intake: cast coat aluminum by duplicolor. Looks just like bead blasted, but you can actually keep it clean. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/14/23 10:42 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Good stuff! Love seeing hot Cougar action.

Don't we all my friend, don't we all.  

1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v5azUSDLtT3UjAEnCbRMJLZRxyrDOZtZIS071Fp6An3g29ri1dhgwLqGwJ7cbtXz