1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29
wawazat
wawazat Reader
9/29/18 10:24 a.m.

Thanks mbruneaux!

Pulled in to M1 and got a smoke cloud from under the hood.  The power steering system decided it was time to return to OEM non-boosted status and dumped fluid from somewhere on to the headers.  No fire but no fun driving home either.  Next project!frown

wawazat
wawazat Reader
11/13/18 3:30 p.m.

Got to post some pics but still forging ahead with full-on winter build to prep for next years Hot Rod Power Tour with my Dad.  As such, I secured a used for 9" rear end with 31 spline OEM axles from a '69 Mustang.  I spent last weekend removing the jacked up spring perches, pulling the axles, and getting the housing prepped for drop off to the blaster for coating-block-off plates for the axle ends and the center section opening.  It will then go the R&P shop for drain and fill plug add-ons and new boxed spring perches.  The rear end was in a garage for about 30 years and the axles have some surface corrosion so those will be glass-beaded before re-assembly with new bearings, seals, retainer plates and the Traction Lock 3.70 rebuilt center section I purchased previously along with mounting the rear discs and new brake lines.  I plan on a drop-and-swap rear end party (no, that doesn't sound weird AT ALL) when it's all assembled.

I also tried to mount the new style GM power steering pump that came from Unisteer but the brackets weren't aligning the pulley with the water pump so had to do some back and forth with Unisteer to get some new parts.  It appears that Cleveland mounting points are different than Windsor mounting points on SBF's.  I'll try and mount the pump again in the coming days.  

wawazat
wawazat Reader
12/29/18 2:20 p.m.

I spent some time with my Dad this week laying out the MaxJax and drilling the holes in the pad.  Epoxy arrives Wednesday.  Car in the air Friday.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
3/4/19 4:55 p.m.

Alright, I need to kick this thing in to gear.  I went to the Detroit Autorama this weekend with my dad.  We've been going for a LONG time.  With my uncle's passing at Thanksgiving, it was just us two.  Made for a bittersweet day for us both.  Got me back in motion again.

I got in the garage yesterday and finally finished up the install of the Liftmaster 8500 garage door opener and played with my 9" -sorry my inner 12 year old just can't find that un-funny.  I bought this housing with 31 spline axles late last fall.  It was from a big-block Mustang.  The spring perches were blasted but the axle splines looked good and housing was straight.  It goes in for blasting tomorrow so it can be painted.  The axles wil be bead blasted to clean them up as well.  I've heard horror stories of bearing and seal failure post blasting if the housing isn't perfectly clean so I spent the day plugging the axle and pig openings and the vent.  Some sheet metal, gaskets and RTV and she's good to go now.  

Wire brushed the ends and then capped them with sheet steel.

Same thing with the big hole.  Sheet steel, gasket, and RTV.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
3/4/19 5:01 p.m.

Tomorrow to the place that's doing the rebuild then to the blaster.  I'm planning on using a polyurethane coating highly filled with stainless steel powder called Steel-It.  Everybody paints there rear-end black mine will be silver, and weld-through, and well, silver!  It's going to get new bearings and seals, extended ARP bullet nose wheel studs, a fill and drain port, and new Currie extra-strength boxed spring pads.  Then I'll load up the 3.70 Traction Lock rear diff and Wilwood rear discs and do a drop and swap with the original rear axle housing.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/4/19 6:12 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

We use Steel-It extensively here ar work with great results.  It's good Stuff.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
3/4/19 7:11 p.m.

Thanks for the confirmation that I might be doing something right!yes

wawazat
wawazat Reader
3/4/19 7:13 p.m.

Does 500 posts get me to HalfDork?

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/4/19 7:13 p.m.

Or is it 501?

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/4/19 7:14 p.m.

It was 501.

Yup, post whoring in my own thread.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/4/19 9:02 p.m.
wawazat said:

It was 501.

Yup, post whoring in my own thread.

Well played yes

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/5/19 5:19 a.m.

laugh

Thanks!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/1/19 8:33 p.m.

Flying cat pictures and no the dog was not ingured during the cat flight nor landing.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/1/19 8:40 p.m.

I've been working on some minor projects like the drivers sideview mirror and a better air cleaner assembly.  I finished the mirror last night and the air cleaner assembly tonight.  An offset base was necessary to clear the MSD distributor.  Unfortunately I couldn't make my oval air cleaner work.  It's been sold and will ship this week.

My precious.

Offset base and stud with adapter (1.25" offset) allows everything to play nice again.  

Used aluminum 14" air cleaner lid is the replacement.  I scuffed it yesterday.  When it warms up it's getting a coat of wrinkle black finish.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/1/19 8:44 p.m.

The power steering pump from Unisteer is being a PITA.  351 Cleveland motors apparently weren't considered during the bracket development.  Fortunately the old alternator used an aluminum spacer that I'm reusing for the PS pump.  Yay me for holding on to old crap!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/1/19 8:45 p.m.

Rear end should be ready for pick-up this week.  Pretty jazzed about that.  Jury duty may make things a challenge but I'm doing my civic duty.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/1/19 9:25 p.m.

Bummer the cool oval cat cleaner wouldn't work, but that offset cleaner ( and stud) are cool too. I hope to see this at the Fort Wayne Power Tour stop.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/3/19 5:09 p.m.

I really liked the oval air cleaner. Just wouldn’t fit.  It’s off to a new home tomorrow. 

I read recently that car mods/hot rodding is the art of making brackets.  I tend to agree. Even the offset air cleaner stud has an adapter if you look close. 

I got a text from the ring and pinion shop that the rear end is ready. Drain and fill ports, new spring perches, all bearings and seals, check out the rear diff, powder coat the housing, new ARP whee studs installed along with diff studs. I’m pretty pumped to get it.  Bench build with the same Wilwood brakes Norma 66 has on his Galaxy plus new spring plates U bolts and assorted bits. 

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
4/3/19 5:25 p.m.

Keep it going!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/3/19 5:39 p.m.

No choice Norma. Power Tour is coming and I’m registered. surprise

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
4/4/19 6:19 p.m.

Picked up my rear end today. Makes the boys laugh every time I say itlaugh

Not pleased with color choice as it’s brighter than I thought it would be. Oh well. Everything checked out and shop did a nice job for me. I’ll assemble brakes this weekend and get moving on drop and swap of the old leaky 9” drum brake rear end. 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
5/27/19 8:39 p.m.

Alright, been a bit of a lazy turd so now I need to get off my duff and get this E36 M3 installed!

Dropped the entire front end worth of 1960's Ford stuff and mounted up tubular control arms, inverted Bilstein coliovers, 13" front component rotors, big spindles, beefy anti-sway bar, and rack and pinion.  Pictures coming soon.  I ran out of red loctite so couldn't install the front calipers.  Also one anti-sway bar bolt is  too small so off the get a Grade 8 replacement in the morning.  Pull the starter and replace it with a smaller unit.  

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
5/27/19 8:50 p.m.

Getting after it! Power tour is coming!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
6/4/19 9:48 a.m.

After a long weekend worht of work, the Unisteer R&P input is trying to occupy the same space as one of the header tubes.  A new set of Sanderson shorty headers are on their way from Summit but we threw in the towel last night for Power Tour in the old girl.  We'll take the Yukon instead.

So, to ease my grief I'll post some pics of our work.

Ripped all systems out of the front end-brakes, suspension, steering, anti-sway.  Dead drum brakes, sagging coil springs, leaky power steering, stamped control arms, blown ball joints, and dinky anti-sway bars are out.

Old and busted...

New hotness...

New anti-sways too.

HEFTY, HEFTY, HEFTY...wimpy, wimpy, wimpy!

Before the installation began, I got some input from Mr. Shelby and Mr. Arning on the upper control arm placement.

Brakes too.

Wheel mounted just to verify clearance.  Miles of room.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/19 9:51 a.m.

restomods FTMBW!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Oe4hnGvB98Ip3UKhDsYQShtGkFNjI1IcDDQKUs7qVAZWQ0f6ivczdSI57nWSERi