1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
8/17/19 9:14 p.m.
wawazat said:

Out and about today in Woodward.  Cars EVERYWHERE FOR MILES!   It still blows my mind that so many cars and people come out for this cruise.  Approximately 12 miles each way along the route and people line up for much of the route, many places 4 rows deep.  I got hot but the car ran well.  I saw 203F on the gauge while idling along for over almost two miles with 86F ambient temps and full sun.   No problemo!

Amazing. and we need pictures.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 10:20 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Crispelli’s shrimp and chorizo pizza is in heavy lunch rotation for me, probably twice a month.  That place is great!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
8/21/19 8:45 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:
wawazat said:

Out and about today in Woodward.  Cars EVERYWHERE FOR MILES!   It still blows my mind that so many cars and people come out for this cruise.  Approximately 12 miles each way along the route and people line up for much of the route, many places 4 rows deep.  I got hot but the car ran well.  I saw 203F on the gauge while idling along for over almost two miles with 86F ambient temps and full sun.   No problemo!

Amazing. and we need pictures.

I only have a few but if you check out the website of another magazine that focuses on these type of cars (rhymes with Not Todd) you can find all sorts of pictures.  

These were taken three DAYS before the actual event.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
8/21/19 8:47 p.m.

The Corvette line-up next to my Dad's car in the picture above was part of 300-400 Corvette's headed in to an Charity event.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
8/21/19 10:06 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Thanks for the pics, but I was hoping for a few glamour shots of the "Cat"

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
9/7/19 12:21 p.m.

I've been driving the Cougar just piling on some miles as the weather is changing and I missed a lot of summer driving this year.  I took it to Angry's house for work on his challenge car, to some customers last week, took my boys out for soccer practice and dance class Thursday, and took my son to dance class today.  May got to Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village or SCCA Autocross (spectate) with it tomorrow.  Perfect day for a top down drive today!  

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
9/19/19 12:54 p.m.

Well that woke me up today!  

I decided to take the Cougar to my sales call this afternoon.  My customer is a gear head as is another member of his team.  Coming up the service ramp from 696 I hit the brakes and got limited action then rapid pedal to the floor.  OHHHHHH NOOOO!  I had gravity working for me and was pumping the brakes like a mad mad while dropping trans in to second and releasing the clutch.  These all worked to slow me enough to miss traffic on the ramp and sneak in to a parking lot.  I crawled under the car to spot a puddle of brake fluid below the junction block on the rear end.  Crisis averted while I await the flat bed for a quick ride home.

Hair color other than grey is overrated. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/19/19 1:11 p.m.

Yikes! Glad you escaped disaster there.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/19/19 1:51 p.m.
wawazat said:

Well that woke me up today!  

I decided to take the Cougar to my sales call this afternoon.  My customer is a gear head as is another member of his team.  Coming up the service ramp from 696 I hit the brakes and got limited action then rapid pedal to the floor.  OHHHHHH NOOOO!  I had gravity working for me and was pumping the brakes like a mad mad while dropping trans in to second and releasing the clutch.  These all worked to slow me enough to miss traffic on the ramp and sneak in to a parking lot.  I crawled under the car to spot a puddle of brake fluid below the junction block on the rear end.  Crisis averted while I await the flat bed for a quick ride home.

Hair color other than grey is overrated. 

Glad to hear you're all right. This isn't one of those single circuit brakes where a leak can take out the whole system, is it?

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
9/19/19 3:17 p.m.

Thanks guys!  I'm home safe and sound now.  Up on the lift tonight for a look see and repair plan.  Oh well...old car problems.  Brake lines were jacked up by some previous owner but didn't leak and were going to get replaced when new 9" goes in this winter.  I just get to replace them now instead of in the future and move them to new rear end.  Maybe a practice plumbing run?  Nothing damaged, I'm alright, and I've got the tools and supplies to get the job done.

MadScientistMatt-no, the MC is a dual circuit.  I had some braking action but the pedal rapidly dropped to the floor after I depressed it.  It freaked me out a bit but I was able to recover and keep the car under control.  This is the first time in my many years of driving that I've lost brakes.   

AngryCorvair
9/19/19 3:27 p.m.

look on the bright side:  at least you lost the rear circuit.

also, i think i have to stop hanging out with you now.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
9/19/19 4:12 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Agreed on circuit lost comment. 

Confused on second one though???

AngryCorvair
9/19/19 10:15 p.m.
wawazat said:
AngryCorvair said:

Agreed on circuit lost comment. 

Confused on second one though???

I’m a brake engineer with 27 years in the industry.  It makes me look bad when my friends have brake failures.  IDK, I was just trying to be funny.  Seems Like I came up a little short.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
9/20/19 9:25 a.m.

I was hoping it was something like that.  Thanks for verifyingsmiley

You have plausible deniability in my brake system failure having never gotten closer than 50' to the car itself.      

BTW-who is driving the Fisker parked up front at your joint?

AngryCorvair
9/20/19 11:33 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

design engineer who used to work for Fisker.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
10/9/19 7:54 p.m.

Well finally got to work on the car tonight. Yesterday I picked up a new rubber line as the 50 year old rubber line had burst.  I already had both hard lines to the wheel cylinders on hand.  Since the wheel cylinders were recently replaced those fittings broke free easily.  Amazingly the 50 year old fitting from the hard line to the rubber line broke free easily too!   Easier working underneath this thing than on my wife’s 2010 Oddity.   New rubber line in along with new hard lines.   I’ll gravity bleed them tomorrow and clean up the mess.  Then flip the leaf spring eyes to drop the rear end as it’s way too high now.  

BTW Detroit folks the final 2019 M1 Concourse Cars & Coffee is this Saturday morning.   Dad and I are going to head out to it.  

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/9/20 7:15 p.m.

Alright, got the itch to tear the car up and started the rear end swap this weekend.  Pulled wheels, brake drums, driveshaft, brake line junction block, rear spring shackles, and leaf spring U bolts.   Going to pull the housing tonight and get rebuilt unit back in place.   I powder coated the housing bright  silver metallic so when I'm dust my boys can find the old girl after my wife sells it for pennies on the dollarlaugh.  Rear end guy told me he didn't like the color because his guys had to keep wiping it down when theY assembled it and that I should have done it in black.  I reminded him it was my car not his.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/15/20 12:13 p.m.

It was cold yesterday but I had to get to work on the old girl.  I removed the old rear end for a rebuilt new version.  Stocker was 50 years old, 2.79 open diff, 28 spline axles, 1310 u-joint, drum brakes, leaky, and no easy way to refill with lube.   New version is N (nodular iron), 3.70 Auburn posi, 31 spline Ford axles, powder coated housing, 1350 u-joint, Wilwood disks, ARP extended studs, Strange drain plug and fill port, and 1.5" lowering blocks.  I also flipped the spring eyes on the Flexform mono leaf rear springs, and upgraded front bolts to new Grade 8.  Last summer it got the Bilstein shocks, larger U bolts, heavy duty perches with tie down points and the composite leaf springs.  Stance was off but spring rate was way up and handling was great without all the sloppiness of the stock collapsed springs.  

old and busted

New hotness

Now with 100% more N!

Return of the spring eye  

I'm going in!

Today I'm mounting the discs and calipers.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
3/15/20 12:27 p.m.

Looking good!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/15/20 12:55 p.m.

Thanks Brent!

Forgot that I also had new Currie heavy duty boxed spring pads welded to the axle housing.  Originals on the silver housing were trashed so positions were located and they were cut off and ground smooth-ish.  Rear end shop checked out the diff, replaced bearings and seals, checked the axles, and welded on new perches.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
3/15/20 2:12 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Looking good.

What's your plan for the old grungy one? 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/15/20 2:37 p.m.

Hey Brian,

Sell it.  Trying to decide if I should keep the pumpkin for a future project but that seems unlikely right now.   Interested?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
3/15/20 3:11 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Perhaps.  My TR4 getting an LS swap also needs a rear end swap.  What the distance from WMS to WMS (wheel mounting surface)? 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
3/15/20 4:20 p.m.

Crazy, my dad had the exact same red 63 with a 427 hood 4 speed 4:11 rear 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/15/20 4:34 p.m.

Brian

This Ford 9” rear end is 59.25” WMS to WMS.  Same as it’s 1969 and 1970 Mustang platform mate.  

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EIdJhhA6AzWeIVOxNLHZNugvPOmMj6CVLVaFqUAibCBm1jiuYMr0SrTkUT77CXGk