wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/14/23 10:42 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Thanks Michael I'll look in to that.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/29/23 1:21 p.m.

So dropped all drain plugs-engine, trans, and rear diff-to pull all the break in fluids.  I'll refill the engine soon to capture some video before I pull it.  I'll refill trans after it goes back in to the car behind the new to me motor.  The rear end is part of the second surprise this winter season.  I need to drop the exhaust, drive shaft and wipe things down for some detailed photos and dimension capture for a new rear end and rear suspension system.  I won't be using much of what I have on the car now and it should be an amazing upgrade.   Pretty stoked and I'll add more soon.  

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
1/29/23 2:38 p.m.

I built my motor using Barry's book. If this engine was built by him you will be in good hands!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/29/23 3:57 p.m.

It was Brent.  Dyno video and logs from his shop too.   Clean it up and some detailing and stab it in after bolting on the TKO.   Selling the old lump will offset some of the purchase price and ease tensions on the home front.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/10/23 5:29 p.m.

Alright time to get this cat in motion again.  I need to swing the exhaust back in to position after I replace a tweaked brake line then bleed the brakes.  Once that's done I need to find the source of clutch hydraulics leak and get that resolved.  
In other news I purchased a custom built tach to match the existing factory gauges and a pair of 17"x9.5" wheels that I found at Classic Industries.  It appears the wheel maker may have folded up shop as they don't answer messages and their products aren't listed at the distributors anymore.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/10/23 5:32 p.m.

Sweet custom tach

As my car is a base model, it didn't have a tach just a blank plug with the silver center as shown above.  I shipped this core to Rocketman Innovations who pulled it apart, added a stepper motor drive and matching needle plus the matching typeface letter/numbers.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/10/23 5:34 p.m.

Hubba hubba!

These are 17"x9.5".  275/45-17 will fit in the fender well with no mods.  295's may need some tweaks to fit.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/8/23 8:29 p.m.

Finally back at the Cougar tonight.  I got the exhaust system reinstalled and the brake line to the rear axle replaced.  Tonight I pulled the rear wheels and am bleeding the rear brakes.  I had a fluid leak last fall that I chalked up to clutch hydraulics.  Today I determined it's a PS system leak as reservoir is low.  I'll tighten the fittings and do some more poking around to see if I can spot the leak.  I hope it's not the rack itself.  

Obligatory pic.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/20/23 9:18 p.m.

Life, kids activities, boats, and motorbikes took precedent but I finally got the old car off the lift tonight.  I found the source of the PS leak-loose fitting-so I pulled it down pulled the rear wheels and bled the rear brakes then took it out for a little rip.  Pefect night here in Detroit.  Got home and hosed off the dust real quick.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/20/23 9:19 p.m.

Time to adjust the headlight cover too.  Dang I love this car.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/23 9:51 p.m.

Hot wet Cougar action!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/20/23 10:40 p.m.

Right in my driveway!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/1/23 11:57 a.m.

First Saturday of spring thru fall months here in MI is Cars & Coffee in Pontiac, MI some 12 miles or so from Detroit on Woodward.  Weather looked good and Canadian wood fire smoke was down so I decided to head up.  I'd been noticing a slight exhaust leak sound so I lifted up the old cat and went to town on the exhaust fasteners.

I dropped her back down and hit all the header fasteners next.  She got a quick early morning bath and vacuum and we headed out.  Good showing today.  Only Cougar in attendance, which isn't too surprising.  Got some nice feedback and kudos.

Add a quick cup of coffee and a food truck breakfast and I headed home after catching up with some friends.

TheWraith
TheWraith Reader
7/1/23 2:45 p.m.

Good choice in wheels and they look great on it!

What a great cruiser!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/4/23 12:13 p.m.

Happy 4th of July!

'merica!  As seen at the grocery store this morning.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/6/23 1:19 p.m.

This Saturday (7/8) Haggerty is sponsoring Cars & Caffeine at The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI.  I'm heading down and hope to get a few little things done on the car ahead of the event.  It runs from 9-11:00am.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/7/23 7:43 a.m.

In preparation for tomorrows event I did a few little fixes.

New repop drivers door handle.

New rear quarter window seals

Today I'm going to tweak the headlight doors for better closed position, replace the rubber shifter boot, and maybe swap the rocker trim panels for the repops I bought recently.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/23 10:51 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

someday i will have a cool old car that only "requires" the occasional cosmetic tweak. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/7/23 1:49 p.m.

Hahaha!  Im just doing a quick lipstick on a pig once over now.  PLENTY of bigger fish to fry on the beasty but it's running and driving pretty well at the moment (foreshadowing perhaps?)

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/8/23 11:37 a.m.

Finished up a few quick things this morning then gave the old cat a quick bath and off we went.  Weather was overcast and high 60's so top went down and we hit it.   Drive was uneventful and unfortunately show was only lighty attended.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/8/23 11:42 a.m.

5 miles from home it started to rain, though only lightly.  Pulled in to the driveway, put up the top and windows and rain picked up.  Perfectly timed!  Car ran great and I love the suspension mods.  Flat cornering and tires just bit on turns including some roundabouts and 90's.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/8/23 11:48 a.m.

I'm working on a customer front spoiler to mimic the Trans-Am vintage racer look used on the Boss 302's.  I'm not a huge fan of the Cougar Eliminator design front spoiler.  I think I'd like to incorporate some low level air intakes in to the design both to feed the engine, like the Olds above, as well as to the front brakes.  Should amp up the tough guy look on the old cat a bit.

Got some good ego strokes on drive to the show, at the show, and on the drive home.  The wheels seem to garner the biggest positive responses.  I do love the look.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
7/8/23 10:57 p.m.

It looks really solid sir!  Can't wait to see it at the Dream Cruise!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/9/23 11:12 a.m.

Thanks Dave.  Looking forward to seeing you next month!

1 ... 25 26 27 28 29

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zhgFgrxZWtE2AvMrpjTjb7BCRmPgI4fO1IojW5guK7xJ4afeHgvQsvme1iFlz5nK