1 ... 16 17 18 19 20
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/18 12:34 p.m.

In reply to JGRAHAM :

Just off raw numbers I’d think more camber would help, but without knowing the weight & motion ratios that’s just a WAG. 

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
7/11/18 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Thanks Pete.  I based most of these numbers off of tire temps and wear patterns.  As I get more run time on the current setup I'll keep an eye out for potentially getting more camber.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
7/11/18 8:42 p.m.

I did a bunch of testing in Lincoln and would make a run, text the tire temps to my suspension guy and he could tell everything from looking at the tire temps from the inside, middle and outside of each tire tread. I took 11 seconds off my lap time just from making the changes. My point is that getting the tire temps to be even across the tread by adjusting camber and pressure will get you where you want to go.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
7/14/18 6:29 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Wow thats an impressive gain from suspension tuning.  I've wondered recently how accurate my IR temp gun really is.  I may invest in a better tire temp probe setup soon.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
8/4/18 2:03 p.m.

Thought I'd share a drawing a local artist did of the Ranger.  She did a great job capturing the real life,  cartoon-ish  look.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/18 5:23 p.m.

In reply to JGRAHAM :

That looks perfect!

Thertz
Thertz
10/22/18 9:06 p.m.

In reply to JGRAHAM :

What brand a arms and spindles did you use. I’m doing the same thing right now and would like to kno everything you used for the a arm setup. 

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
10/23/18 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Thertz :

I modified an SN95 Maximum Motorsports k member and lower control arms.  SN95 knuckles and a Pozzi? upper ball joint adaptor.  The upper arms are run of the mill circle track hardware.  I can’t remember the brand.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
11/9/18 6:38 a.m.

Time for more winter updates.  I didn't get to run the truck nearly as much as I had hoped this summer, but nonetheless it did prove to have a lot of potential.

This winter I plan on doing a number of small improvements in suspension and hopefully have a new engine built by spring.  I also plan on shifting a fair amount of weight around; trying to approach a more equal F/R balance.

First up, Delrin front lower control arm bushings.

captainawesome
captainawesome New Reader
11/9/18 7:30 a.m.

Pics aren't showing up on my end for your last post.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
11/9/18 11:24 a.m.

Thanks for the heads up.....how about now?

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
11/9/18 11:29 a.m.

I can see them now.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
11/12/18 8:24 a.m.

This weekend I was able to finish up the ballast mount and hang some weight.  With the new setup I'll be able to get much closer on a 50/50 F/R split, as well as easily shift the weight right to left with the slotting.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
12/11/18 9:00 a.m.

The new motor is starting to take shape.  It should give the ranger a little more pep this year!

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
1/7/19 9:10 a.m.

Chipping away at the winter work lately.

Finished fabricating the side pipe exhaust.

Started closing back in the firewall.

I'm getting excited to hear the new engine through the exhaust!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/7/19 9:40 a.m.

In reply to JGRAHAM :

Engine set back in the chassis?  Sweet

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
1/7/19 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Thanks.  Yes I've really pushed the engine quite far back this time around.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
1/7/19 8:44 p.m.

I think you're using the wrong approach in porting that passenger-side head. I think you took off too much metal.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 New Reader
1/7/19 10:25 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

Ported with a bandsaw??? I wonder what happened.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/8/19 9:14 a.m.
JGRAHAM said:

Chipping away at the winter work lately.

Finished fabricating the side pipe exhaust.

I will, after posting this, go back and look, but I didn't think you were allowed to use the exhaust as a source for engine vacuum (because I'd like to do this for my CP car).  I know CAM is pretty wide open, but I thought it was a general safety thing.

EDIT:  Found what I was looking for.  The way it's phrased it's hard to say if it applies to you, but I wanted to give you a heads-up (page 31, section 3.3.3).

10. No excessive fuel, oil, water, or brake fluid leaks should be observed. For all Prepared and Modified category vehicles, engine crankcase vents and radiator overflow/breather lines must terminate in containers of at least one quart capacity. These containers cannot be vented into the driver/passenger compartment. Crankcase, oiling system, breather, or catch tank evacuation systems that are in any way connected to the exhaust system are prohibited. Vent tanks are not required with systems which are completely closed (i.e., have no venting to the atmosphere). All oil lines passing through the driver/passenger compartment shall be made of metal braided hose or equivalent (e.g., Nomex, Kevlar, or nylon-braided hose) with AN Series threaded couplings or entirely cov- ered and protected with a metal cover (this does not ap

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
1/8/19 12:03 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Yeah that was a long cut for the bandsaw!.  I still think it would have been cool to make a bunch of cross sectional cuts on it.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
1/8/19 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Gimp :

Thanks Gimp.  I'll be honest with you; I never thought that would be illegal.  I've seen similar setups tucked away (out of sight) on a few local autocrosser's rides and simply assumed it was allowable.  I guess I'll have the provision but will cap off the exhaust port.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/8/19 12:56 p.m.

In reply to JGRAHAM :

I'm sure it's one of those things that flies under the radar, but the faster you go, the more people will care.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
1/8/19 1:08 p.m.

The header evac systems work good on open exhaust, but not so much with mufflers. I think the issue is that they tend to build up oil in the exhaust/mufflers, which could be a fire hazard. At least that is one of the reasons I heard it wasn't allowed.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
1/9/19 6:03 a.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro :

Understandable.  I'm going to play around with it.  I've been curious as to exactly how much pull could be created from it.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1lTTiNp69F6jrEI3xN1bRiXTLkf8simTH5mWGVLRuUjytJDm0ghCr9LGO6JbYyN1