1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
3/24/17 6:06 a.m.

Thanks for the comment!

Started running the exhaust pipe yesterday. Had to abandon the aluminum rectangular tubing tip idea. I just didn't like the look as much as I thought.

I did end up with something that I'm happy with. I still need to add an h pipe and cut down the ends and add a tip, but you get the idea. I'll add a finished photo when it's all buttoned up.

einy
einy Reader
3/24/17 6:15 a.m.

Nice! I was seriously wondering if those aluminum tips would have held up to the heat, but guess we won't find out now!

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/24/17 7:53 a.m.

I like this approach to the exhaust much better

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
3/27/17 6:00 a.m.

Not much work done this weekend. I did get the exhaust finished though. It now has a cross over pipe and tips installed. I like the look and it's tucked out of the way. The flowmaster super 10's seem to quiet the engine down just enough to hopefully not have any db issues at events. I wish I had a meter.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
3/30/17 5:57 a.m.

More things getting buttoned up.

Got the trans tunnel re worked after I made a huge hole for the T5.

Started work on the front sway bar. I'll be reusing the Explorer ~36mm bar.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
3/30/17 6:50 a.m.

There are apps you can get on a smart phone to measure the sound level of the exhaust. Not sure how accurate they are, but you may be able to get a ballpark number.

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/30/17 6:51 a.m.

What year Explorer did you get the bar from? Some years got hollow bars, while others got solid bars.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
3/30/17 8:33 a.m.

Thanks for the heads up THEV8KID.....I didn't think of looking for an app. I'll find one and give it a try.

I'm using a 1996 bar. It's a hollow bar.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
3/30/17 8:57 p.m.

Yeah. My favorite is the "Physics Toolbox Suite" it has all kinds of stuff on it such as accelerometer, light meter, sound meter, ruler, a strobescope, and can even measure magnetic field. It's super useful.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
3/31/17 10:07 a.m.

Started mocking up the 14" S550 Mustang front brake setup.

The S550 rotors are massive compared to the PBR.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
3/31/17 10:33 a.m.

Woof. Side exit is best exit.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
3/31/17 3:04 p.m.

Whoa, what wheel size will those rotors drive you to? Do you have to change the master cylinder for good pressure and feel?

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
3/31/17 5:40 p.m.

My 18x10s should just clear it. I'm currently using an 1-1/16 bore explorer mc. I hope this will move enough fluid for it. If not I believe there a few more larger bore ford mc's that might drop in.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
4/3/17 6:44 a.m.

Another weekend with a little more work done on the Ranger.

The front flares got fabbed up and welded on. I think the trailer fenders came out good and are functional. I thought of doing more radical flares, but for the little amount of time it took for these I'm happy. 30 minutes with the new hypertherm plasma cutter had the trailer fenders cut and fitted to the existing body. In keeping with the "ratty" theme I "patina'ed" the flares with an instant rust concoction.

Lots of nibbling with the plasma cutter.

The new Hypertherm ran great on the fenders.

Lots of fitting, marking, and trimming.

Rolled outside to get a better view of fitment

Flares welded up, metal rusted, and cleared in a matte finish.

I had to keep the wheel/flare fitment rather loose. The track width will widen more when I put the S550 brakes on and I haven't got the 315s on the wheels yet (295 in the photos). After some test runs I think I'll be able to get away with softer springs on the front which in return might allow me to lower it more.

I also made some simple door panels. Just some aluminum sheet screwed to the door frame. I need to get the interior back too a "finished" look so I might be able to run in a CAM class.

before and after

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
4/3/17 7:02 a.m.

I like how the trailer fenders turned out. May have to steal that idea.

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
4/3/17 8:52 a.m.

Fenders look great.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
4/3/17 10:03 a.m.

Agreed on the fender flairs, nice work. Maybe you don't want the added weight but some black bed liner might make those aluminum inner skins a bit nicer in every fashion and be easy to do without adding a lot of weight. A little weight, though, so I get it if you aren't interested.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
4/3/17 3:18 p.m.

thanks guys!

Pres589,

Good idea. I might play around with a spare door skin I have.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
4/3/17 3:52 p.m.

Not that I care to much as to what class I'm in, but I have been giving more thought to it lately.

I'm currently in XP which I've always felt out gunned in with what I have. The CAM class has always been very appealing to me. I've reviewed the the CAM classification rules and have a question that you all might be able to shed light on.

The main question being CAMC or CAMS? Both refer to "pickups". I see there being a weight difference between the two, but I could add weight and get to 3200 for C. Is there another major rule that applies to me that would put me in one or the other?

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/3/17 5:04 p.m.

This body style started in 89, so you would go into T unless you are under weight. Under 3000 would bump you into S

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
4/3/17 6:12 p.m.

I've been away from scca autocross for several years. Back in the late eighties early nineties it was pretty simple. Stock, Street prepared, prepared and modified were the basic classifications. Now it's just alphabet soup when I look at the different classes. Typically what is XP? What are the typical modified classes? Where do American V8 highly modified cars go?

More specifically, where were they Vette Kart weighing 2200 lbsbee classified?

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
4/4/17 6:04 a.m.
gumby wrote: This body style started in 89, so you would go into T unless you are under weight. Under 3000 would bump you into S

I glazed over "body style". Thanks for clearing this up. 1989 seems to just barely get me into CAMT, which is fine with me.

I haven't corner weighed the new setup but I'd imagine I'll be in the 2800-2900lb range. This class would give me a little ballast to play with.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/4/17 6:49 a.m.

Remember in all CAM classes other than S you need carpet in there. And no race interior. Whatever that means

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
4/4/17 7:22 a.m.

As already stated, great work on the fender flares. I think they look awesome and you've given me some ideas of my own.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/4/17 7:52 a.m.

I think the door coverings might be judge dependent for a finished interior. As far as carpet, it is a truck I am sure a mat would work as that was an OEM standard piece

Just glue some foam backed vinyl on the door, It will give you the added bonus of a little sound deadening with an extremely small weight penalty.

This is gonna sound really weird but look at automotive vinyl suppliers but stay away from benecke. Benecke stuff is the best in the industry but it is HEAVY. Some of the cheap stuff, for both doors would add less than a pound.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4jcjQgTzmxJr1rK5Pyd4pWSqAqY95HI0Od1jFMKI2lKFaljOKDsZc03aB5bHMesQ