1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/12/13 1:51 p.m.

Nice. I just got rid of my RX-8. Was a 2005 Shinka that was pretty clean with around 70k miles.

My problem is that I already had a race car and the RX-8 while a fantastic car for feedback and what not is not the car to drive day to day on a traffic laden highway. I also just didn't want to deal with the baby seat in the back even though I've seen people do it. I also couldn't fit under the sunroof with a helmet on.

That said, definitely a nice car to drive in anger right from the factory.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/13 10:27 a.m.

I picked up a wreck from Copart. My post-mortem diagnosis is that somebody curbed the heck out of it, cracked both of the driver's side rims, bent some of the suspension links in the rear and also cracked their aftermarket front fender. The car has less miles than mine, so I figured having an engine, transmission and other components as spares was a good idea. I can put the engine/transmission from this one (at least 60k miles less than mine) into my car if the compression is good.

The bonus is that is has a leather interior, AEM intake, Greddy cat-back and some sort of aftermarket suspension.

All of that is going into my car, too. The debate after that will be what to do with the rolling shell of the donor.

Anybody interested in a $2014 starting point?

I'll post pictures up of the donor soon.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/3/13 10:27 a.m.

ZOMG F2T RX8?!?!?!?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
4/3/13 11:37 a.m.

hmmm......

i have a spare small block chevy/4 speed combo......

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
4/3/13 12:33 p.m.

here we go again!

Brett_Murphy
4/3/13 1:57 p.m.

How tall is an F2T with intake?

I was thinking an MZR, myself.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/3/13 2:11 p.m.

I don't know off the top of my head, but i can find out. I have an F2T on a stand right now with an intake still on it.

It's fairly tall, though.

I would also approve MZR.

Brett_Murphy
4/3/13 2:55 p.m.

MZR might be easier since the Miata NC platform shares lots with the RX-8 platform.

Brett_Murphy
4/13/13 8:37 p.m.

Here is the donor car:

12843943_AX

12843943_7X

12843943_5X

12843943_1X

12843943_3X

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
4/13/13 8:40 p.m.

Sweet find!!

Brett_Murphy
4/13/13 8:44 p.m.

The donor car lives!

It was delivered so incredibly flooded that gasoline was leaking from the exhaust tips when they unloaded it from the wrecker. I got it cranked and the engine is obviously in way better shape than the engine currently in my car, since this one will hot start.

The Greddy exhaust sounds pretty good, too.

This does raise a conumdrum. Do I fix the red car up as a runner and keep it, and sell the silver car (and likely come out a couple of thousand dollars ahead) or do I stick with my original plan and transfer all of the goodies into the silver car and keep that? I guess I should verify there is no frame damage in the red car before I get ahead of myself, but it is something to think about.

In other news, I've got an autocross tomorrow at NCCAR. Apparently this is the second best venue in North Carolina outside of Cherry Point (which is one of the best in the Southeast, apparently). As soon as the results are posted, I'll be getting my Mazdaspeed membership.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
4/13/13 8:46 p.m.

NCCAR is a super nice place, you will have lots of fun!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/13/13 8:55 p.m.

I hate red cars so the silver car is my vote. Just make sure you put the seats from the red car in the silvet car because they rule!

Brett_Murphy
4/13/13 9:08 p.m.

I'll probably keep the silver car for the very reason you list.

I am having bad Challenge thoughts about the red car, though.

Trufax: if somebody finds me a free MZR engine, it will happen.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
4/13/13 11:34 p.m.

irf you decide to get rid of the red seats, let me know. do they have lumbar?

and even though i own a red car, and the el camino was origonally red, i dont like red vehicles. (duster being exception., had it since 14...)

go with the silver car. yank all the goodies from the red car that you want, plus all the spares you can. also, the silver car does NOT have a salvage title, correct? makes a large difference in resale value down the way.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
4/13/13 11:35 p.m.

Hmm, an RX8 shell would be a heck of a start to a Lemons racer... ;-) Don't just scrap the shell it if you decide not to use it. Obviously you having removed the interior is not an impediment to building a track car out of it!!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/14/13 2:57 p.m.

1 fix red car

2 sell silver car

3 profit

4 enjoy profit

Brett_Murphy
4/16/13 8:44 p.m.

If I decide to sell the RX-8 shell, this will be the first place I post it, because you guys will treat it right.

And by treat it right, I mean do something seriously ill-advised but very interesting with it. I am thinking Mazda 3.7 MZI (aka: cyclone) engine in it. V8 is obviously also an option.

In other news, the silver car stalled at idle on the way home from the event. I had to bump-start it to get it going again and then drive the rest of the way home without stopping.

It started today (I was worried). I can't wait to tear into the engine and see how bad it really is.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
4/19/13 2:39 p.m.

Im curious to tear into a renesis, where are you located at?

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/19/13 9:00 p.m.

This is turning more and more interesting. Now you have two!

Why does no one like the red? I like the red.

Brett_Murphy
4/20/13 1:19 a.m.

Fidelity, I am in Raleigh, NC. It looks like you're much further North.

Started getting into the red one a bit today. I'll have to get a picture of the suspension. It is pretty serious under there. It looks like the subframe is ok, but you can tell where the weak links were.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
4/20/13 7:12 a.m.

please tell me you going to go all ocd and clean and paint everything to make the cleanest surviving rx8 during the rebuild.....

Brett_Murphy
4/21/13 3:51 p.m.

I'm just pulling the engine and transmission from the red car for transplant at this time.

Also, I hope the engineer or accountant that decided to make a fitting on the radiator out of brittle, fragile plastic is ashamed of themselves.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
4/24/13 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

My roommate has family near asheville,(I think) typically drives there from MI. I'm sure I could persuade him with gas monies.

Brett_Murphy
4/24/13 9:45 p.m.

Asheville is three hours away, but if you're that close, come on by!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SZ4exTA4wBPpyGe0Sp4nNxG8UnanQ8o9bG8yH0RTsrYSPoJeBUhG5Sur0oPh81Lt