1 2 3 ... 20
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
2/10/19 6:07 p.m.

The adventure started 3 years ago when I found this TR4 listed on Craigslist.  Here's the thread I started the day after buying it.  I wasn't quite ready for a project of this size, so the car went into hibernation on one side of the garage.  Then it literally became a storage shelf while I made some improvements to the garage.

After  waffling back and forth about what engine to put in it, ( Discussed in this thread  ) I decided I wanted a 5.0 from a Mustang and had an agreement to buy one.  After the seller totally flaked out on me and refused to sell, the plot twisted and I found a cheap all aluminum LS engine donor: Humpie.

The plan is to get it running and driving within Challenge Budget.

All build threads are better with pics, so here are a few:

Current resident of the engine bay is a 2.8L Chevy V6 from an early 80's S10.  The previous owner was in the midst of the conversion, but never completed it.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/10/19 6:36 p.m.

I love this one already. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/10/19 6:53 p.m.

Everything is better with a 60 degree v6.

But more better with aluminum ls.

Car looks shockingly solid and unhacked for a lbc.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/10/19 7:02 p.m.

Awesome! Looking forward to following along. I may possibly be on the brink of some sort of LBC adventure, and thoughts of evolving the drivetrain are rampant.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/10/19 7:12 p.m.

okay .....LBC??? I'm sorry but I've used my alloted googlefuu's for today

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/10/19 7:13 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Little British Car

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/10/19 7:15 p.m.
759NRNG said:

okay .....LBC??? I'm sorry but I've used my alloted googlefuu's for today

LBC = Little British Car.

Here's a Link to the "build thread" (more like a get it running and tear it apart thread) for Humpie, the 2003 GMC Envoy LS engine donor.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/10/19 7:18 p.m.

Thinking about it, TR4s are really Mid Sized British Car, Whole lot bigger than a Sprite or Spitfire, or my old Turner. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/10/19 7:25 p.m.

My Dad bought a TR4 brand new off the showroom floor in 1965.  He talked fondly of the car as I was growing up, so I guess that was an influence on me.  He's pictured below with some of the Indy-kids, making Vroom, Vroom sounds:

And here's my turn to make the go fast noises:

Note:  I do have the hood and both front fenders.  They're just being stored up in the garage attic at the moment.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/10/19 7:36 p.m.

Do I have an LBC......'73 MGB/GT.....or is that a MBC? Regardless, will go back to me seat in the rafters and observe from afar............. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/19 10:58 a.m.

mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm. 

can't. wait.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/12/19 9:42 p.m.

Here's a peak at the state of the left rear of the car, obviously I've got a bit of tin work to do:

And a quick pic of the one of the hoods, and a spare set of wire wheels that were included in the package deal.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
2/12/19 9:45 p.m.

For those following along at home, here's where the budget stands:

$2000 outlay of cash for the car and all the spares.

$350 for complete running engine donor.

So, can I get this up and running, and to the challenge under budget?

Stay tuned to find out.....

GoLucky
GoLucky New Reader
2/12/19 10:46 p.m.

I certainly am interested to see how these questions are answered. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/13/19 5:29 a.m.

I echo the comment that you are lucky to be starting with a remarkably rust free shell. 

If there is one thing that the TR lacks its torsional rigidity. Any plans to do anything about that? What about the rear suspension? TR axles are not known for being robust and the LS is going to make short work of the diff.

Pete

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/13/19 7:26 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

Here's a peak at the state of the left rear of the car, obviously I've got a bit of tin work to do:

And a quick pic of the one of the hoods, and a spare set of wire wheels that were included in the package deal.

Left rear tin is not going to be too difficult. The legacy of Triumph not having deep draw stamping equipment when they built it means simple curves to reproduce!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/13/19 8:12 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I've watched enough of you guys deal with rust repair, that I wanted NO part of it, so I was real patient to wait on finding one that was a (relatively) good starting point.  Previous owner had the body tub off and blasted it.  There are some areas up under the dash/firewall connection that reveal the history, due to no primer/paint blast marks.

Torsional Rigidity: yes, there's a lack of it, and I considered naming the car Wet Noodle in anticipation.  I'm going to pull the body off the frame for the drivetrain swap, so I'm open to suggestion for improvements.  The front lower suspension mounts are a known weak point on these cars and I plan to reinforce that area at a minimum.

This is a solid axle car, so if the budget (or wise trades) allow a narrowed Ford 8.8 Explorer would be optimal.  That or skinny tires with no traction, but that's not as much fun.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/13/19 10:48 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

My Dad bought a TR4 brand new off the showroom floor in 1965.  He talked fondly of the car as I was growing up, so I guess that was an influence on me.

Looks like who ever was taking the picture told Indy-son#1 (or #2), "HEY! No bunny ears!" Or else he was slow getting them up there...

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/13/19 11:08 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to NOHOME :

I've watched enough of you guys deal with rust repair, that I wanted NO part of it,

So my reputation precedes me then?!

Pete

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
2/13/19 11:17 a.m.

Count me in the "watching with interest" crowd.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/13/19 11:22 a.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas :

Threadjack: are you back stateside? Still building that neat old truck 

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
2/13/19 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

1. Yep, back in Kansas. 2. Eh...kinda. Progress stalled until I can figure out what wiring connections I missed that make it not want to start.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/13/19 11:33 a.m.

does the $350 complete running engine donor have a solid rear axle? I think i'd be starting there...

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/13/19 11:59 a.m.

That engine donor should come with an 8.6" 10-bolt, set up as a 4-link with panhard bar and coil springs. It's probably way too wide though.

Check the RPO codes - G80 would be the "Gov Loc" locking diff, likely to be equipped on a high-optioned truck like this. 

Image result for trailblazer rear axle

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/13/19 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Yes.  Solid rear axle, but too wide and has that goofy six bolt lug pattern that's difficult to find wheels for.  The explorer is a proven route for this car. Narrow houseing two inches and add a second passenger side axle shaft.  Forum member "oldtin" did one for his TR4.  Oh, by the way have you heard from him lately?  How's he doing?

In reply to mashinenbau :

Thanks for the info.

1 2 3 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k5jjWqi3bO14PRhRhmkhgiFiIiJ1ksE42B7eDvfyN3uRxrkat5zx03oksdBCasqV